Doogie: Jimmy Williams wins 1.2 million dollars

I'd think the U is on the hook for this? The whole crux of the U/Tubby argument was that Maturi had the authority to veto the hire and did so. In any case, it would look very bad to leave Tubby out to dry paying this himself.

From the article in the Strib:

"Smith is indemnified by the university, which Rotenberg said carries insurance for such claims."

The difficult question now is who pays the 1.2 million dollars? Does Tubby pay it himself or does the university chip in and pay all or a substantial portion of it. Either way the university is in a terrible spot, if they pay the judgement that is against Tubby they will be criticized and be put in a terrible financial situation with trying to raise money for additional facilities, etc. However, if they don't financially support Tubby like I am sure he will be expecting then they run the risk of alienating the coach who may feel as if the University threw him under the bus, and we all know what that could spell the next time another program comes calling for Tubby's services.
I'm not too worried about another program inquiring about Tubby's services. He's all ours.

My guess is insurance pays the tab. This judgment reminds of the "too hot coffee at McD's" and the Supreme court decision that private land can be confiscated for a shopping mall. Unbelievable. I guess this props open the door that any embellishments or omitted negative facts on a resume are perfectly understandable and that verbal conversations are binding. Blumenthal should live in Minnesota. If Williams thinks he will coach again, he better start looking at the high school level. No university is going to expose themselves to him. He won the battle and lost the war. Last point: Tubby was probably looking for someone with Big Ten/ Midwest ties since he needed a recruiter for the area.

If I had to pick........

a liar out of these two, it would be Jimmy for sure. He has always looked for the easy way/free ride.

Jimmy Williams = Mitch Lee

They both got away with something bad.

if tubby has to pay the bill, maybe this will mean he lets royce back on the team and forces maturi to let trev play too...that way he can hit more of hit bonus incentives which he'll use to pay this bill, haha...

He's 59 years old which means that nobody else is going to pay him $2.3M. Sorry, that's reality. He's taken players from previous coaches and improved them. He's had 1A and 1B tier success with his own players. He's better than Monson but the success he's had at the U has been with Monson's players. He delivers terrible home non conference schedules which is disrespectful to those of us who have written checks for a long time. (That one really irks me.) And now he's cost the state another couple of million.

All in all, I give him a C+/B-.

I'd agree with B/C grade (range).

But BS about the players. He inherited 4 (that's 1-2-3-4) players at Tulsa. His best success there (consecutive Sweet 16's) was with HIS OWN players.

He inherited 8 seniors at Georgia. They won 21 games. The next year, with nearly all players on the roster his recruits, they won 24 games and beat SEC champ South Carolina twice.

He inherited the reserves from consecutive FF teams and subpar recruits in Pitino's last 2 years at UK. They IMPROVED under his coaching and won 35 games & NCAA title. With 100% his own recruits, his teams had the #1 record in Div I in the 2003-04-05 seasons.

The success of the past 2 seasons was mostly due to his recruits blended with Monson leftovers.

Williams wanted $2.5M to settle, so the U saved itself 50% by taking the case to trial. The award does seem rather high, though.

It would be standard for the U to be required to indemnify Tubby for damages in a case like this.

In any event, Williams once again tubes the U.

...I had to take a crap at one of the football games last year and the toilet was filthy. I didn't say anything about it at the time, but in retrospect, I think I should have sent Joel and email bitching him out about it...

You should have sent Joel an e-mail. That's something the man may have been able to handle.

I'd agree with B/C grade (range).

But BS about the players. He inherited 4 (that's 1-2-3-4) players at Tulsa. His best success there (consecutive Sweet 16's) was with HIS OWN players.

He inherited 8 seniors at Georgia. They won 21 games. The next year, with nearly all players on the roster his recruits, they won 24 games and beat SEC champ South Carolina twice.

He inherited the reserves from consecutive FF teams and subpar recruits in Pitino's last 2 years at UK. They IMPROVED under his coaching and won 35 games & NCAA title. With 100% his own recruits, his teams had the #1 record in Div I in the 2003-04-05 seasons.

The success of the past 2 seasons was mostly due to his recruits blended with Monson leftovers.

The success of the last two seasons was due to his recruits?

Westbrook
Hoffarber
Johnson
Nolen

These guys weren't role players, they were starters.

Williams trial?

Seems like quite a large settlement to me, but what will Williams' attorney be paid? Any ideas?

Well, our bball program has made national headlines a lot in the last year... too bad I can only remember one of them being good.

Tubby has delivered two teams that barely made it in (with Monson's players) and then went one and done. He's cost the state $2.3M a year plus another $2M in settlement and legal fees. Nice guy, though a liar on the stand and in deposition, but he's hardly advanced anything.

I have not read any transcripts - what did Tubby lie about...or what was it perceived that he lied about?

I have not read any transcripts - what did Tubby lie about...or what was it perceived that he lied about?

successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

From the Strib

"Two crucial moments came Tuesday. One when Smith became angry under cross-examination and pointed at Williams, saying he had a duty to disclose the previous problems at the U.

Williams then said Smith was lying when he denied offering him the job."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/94934024.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiacyKUnciaec8O7EyUr

The success of the last two seasons was due to his recruits?

Westbrook
Hoffarber
Johnson
Nolen

These guys weren't role players, they were starters.

Not what I said.

A BLEND of his recruits (Sampson, Iverson, Joseph, Williams, Cobbs, Bostick, Carter) and those 4 players.

GL: Since it was basically a "he said, he said" story and the jury found in favor of Williams that means, by inference, that it did not find Tubby's version of events to be credible.

Tubby blew this one.

You may not think Williams deserves anything, but if as Tubby says, once he knew about Williams' infractions he knew it wasn't appropriate to hire him . . . then the real question is HOW IN THE HELL DID TUBBY NOT KNOW ABOUT WILLIAMS' PAST?

This is a man he was about to hire. So he either didn't know him very well - or didn't do any sort of checking up on him whatsoever. Or both. In this day of Google and wikipedia, this would not have been difficult. In fact, I just did it. I got About 946,000 results . . . and it took me a grand total of (0.18 seconds) .

I disagree, Maturi blew it, not Tubby. Maturi, as the paper describes, sent email saying his main concern was "media reaction" to the hire. That should NEVER EVER be a reason not to hire someone but it is definitely what drives our AD.

Not what I said.

A BLEND of his recruits (Sampson, Iverson, Joseph, Williams, Cobbs, Bostick, Carter) and those 4 players.

"The success of the past 2 seasons was mostly due to his recruits blended with Monson leftovers."

Semantics? Perhaps. However, the clear emphasis and inference of the sentence is to give more credit to Smith's players. The reality is that if you substituted additional Smith recruits of the same caliber as the ones he's brought in for the four Monson starters, the 2009-2010 gophers win ten games.

"The success of the past 2 seasons was mostly due to his recruits blended with Monson leftovers."

Semantics? Perhaps. However, the clear emphasis and inference of the sentence is to give more credit to Smith's players. The reality is that if you substituted additional Smith recruits of the same caliber as the ones he's brought in for the four Monson starters, the 2009-2010 gophers win ten games.

Clear to me.

I disagree, Maturi blew it, not Tubby. Maturi, as the paper describes, sent email saying his main concern was "media reaction" to the hire. That should NEVER EVER be a reason not to hire someone but it is definitely what drives our AD.

Tubby stated in the trial that he was not aware of Williams' infractions. So Tubby was prepared to hire a man for $200,000/year whom he apparently knew very little about.

So how would you describe Tubby in this scenario?

Lazy?
Senile?
Or just a liar?

So what if they were.......

Monson's recruits.......none of the four, with the possible exception of Westbrook, were ranked in the top 150 nationally.....it's the kind of recruiting Tubby would be getting vilifeid for if he did it now.

In my view, he (Tubby) gets huge kudos for coaching them up to a NCAA tournament level.

FWIW- the success of last years team was entirely the result of Tubby's recruits. The team was going nowhere until the Sophs stepped up and matured.

I have no idea how those things work. Clearly, though, the jury believed Williams' version of events and not Smith's.

A person who loses in court is not necessarily a "liar". They are just someone whose side didn't meet the preponderance of the evidence.

Perjury is a very serious offense and such accusations should not be casually tossed about on a message board.

The reality is that the jury did not believe Tubby. What the jury believes happened (and I agree) is that Tubby and Jimmy agreed on a job.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Nice guy, though a liar on the stand and in deposition,

As someone who loves Tubby these words send a chill through me. I cannot understand why the U put Tubby in this position rather than settle out of court. I also don't understand why Tubby would lie to coverup. This might hang around for awhile casting clouds.

FWIW- the success of last years team was entirely the result of Tubby's recruits. The team was going nowhere until the Sophs stepped up and matured.
Without Johnson, Westbrook, Hoffarber, and Nolen last year...we wouldn't have won 13 games total. Period.

Don't know if you remember about midway through the season, but most of the board wanted Iverson to transfer to South Dakota State, Joseph couldn't throw the ball into the ocean (shooting like 20% from the field), Rodney was a deer in headlights, Bostick didn't even know what a basketball looked like, Cobbs' passes usually ended up in the hands of an opposing player while not even looking at the rim, and RSIII was getting thrown around by the other bigs.

Top Bottom