Doogie insinuates Donna Smith would rather be somewhere else

Unless he gets a 10-year, $30 mil offer or something crazy, I have never thought for one second that he was going to Oregon ... and the person who sent that to me would absolutely know ... I can read what your moniker is, but do you really know the family that well? Or at least well enough where open conversations are had?

I've been through this over and over. One more time.

I met the Smith family in 2000. I stayed in the same hotel for 3 weeks. My stepdaughter was an Olympian. He coached the Men's team. Players, friends, and family all stayed together.

I see T once or twice a year. I used to see D at UK games but haven't seen her since 2007.

HERE all I have said is READ TUBBY'S FREAKIN' QUOTES and ignore the rumors.

There are NO RUMORS when Tubby is ACTUALLY interested in a job. He keeps it quiet.

Unless he gets a 10-year, $30 mil offer or something crazy, I have never thought for one second that he was going to Oregon ... and the person who sent that to me would absolutely know ... I can read what your moniker is, but do you really know the family that well? Or at least well enough where open conversations are had?

Tubby will NOT coach 10 more years ANYWHERE. He'll coach 5-7 more years, tops.

What would you consider REAL access? I am guessing whatever your definition of it is, I have access to ... or at least as much as any reporter in town, and if I miss something, I am filled in by those that were there oftentimes.

Real access as in you (the collective MN media) have totally botched this whole Tubby situation and have looked like idiots in the process?

What would you consider REAL access? I am guessing whatever your definition of it is, I have access to ... or at least as much as any reporter in town, and if I miss something, I am filled in by those that were there oftentimes.

You make a good point here. However, if the last few weeks have shown anything, it's that a lot of reporters in the cities haven't had the kind of "access" that they think they have. Do they have some access? Obviously, because they're reporters. That's their job. But based on recent events and the wild amounts of inaccuracy or flat out wrong information that is apparently being passed along, some of us are left to wonder about what kind of "access" the media in the cities actually has.

Doogie, for someone who often asks posters to reveal their real names, why is the name of your "trusted source" anonymous? IMO, if someone like your trusted source wants to speculate on stuff like this, he should at least have the balls to let you use his name. Otherwise, he should keep quiet. As we've learned in the past couple weeks, there are too many so-called faux media people out there who are trying to make a name for themselves by speculating on stuff like this. Even if we knew for a fact that Donna Smith doesn't like the winters, we couldn't ever be sure how much of a factor it would be in Tubby's decision to go or stay. Might be the deciding factor or might not be a factor at all. So, it's just more speculation if you ask me.

I've been through this over and over. One more time.

I met the Smith family in 2000. I stayed in the same hotel for 3 weeks. My stepdaughter was an Olympian. He coached the Men's team. Players, friends, and family all stayed together.

I see T once or twice a year. I used to see D at UK games but haven't seen her since 2007.

HERE all I have said is READ TUBBY'S FREAKIN' QUOTES and ignore the rumors.

There are NO RUMORS when Tubby is ACTUALLY interested in a job. He keeps it quiet.

I think I may be missing something, but I believe Doogie asked:

do you really know the family that well? Or at least well enough where open conversations are had?

I'm guessing from your answer, your reply would be "no" to having any open conversations?

Just ignore it folks. More of the same old stuff from another TC media hack.

I think I may be missing something, but I believe Doogie asked:

I'm guessing from your answer, your reply would be "no" to having any open conversations?

Asked and answered. Repeated below.

I talk to T once or twice per year. I haven't talked to D since 2007.

No need for open conversations. Just listen to TUBBY QUOTES and believe them.

Lol at this whole thread. Donna Smith doesn't like winter? Wow, now that is a scoop. Neither do I, neither does anyone else I know. Well, one guy likes to ski, but, that's it.

When Doogie or anyone else in the local media can produce a single quote from Donna Smith regarding Minnesota weather I'll believe him, otherwise its complete speculation.

Have you interviewed Donna, Doogie?

That is a serious question.

I'm actually starting to feel a little sympathy towards ol' Doogie.

Maybe it's a negative attention type of deal?

Perhaps we should give him a group hug.

C'mon over here big guy..

((((((( hug )))))))

Does that feel a bit better?

Another thing to ponder here for Doogie. Depending on just how close his emailer is to Tubby, is it possible this emailer is intentionally feeding Doogie (and Marcus) this stuff in order for it to become public, thus strengthening Tubby's leverage with the U in relation to contract, practice facility, and other stuff. All the while, there may not be a shred of truth to it?

In other words, its an old negotiating tactic -- the other side doesn't know what's true or not, so let's feed them something that helps us. So, if someone close to Tubby has a vested interest in Tubby getting a better contract, a practice facility, and other things, then why not leak a potentially untrue tale about an offer from Oregon to strengthen Tubby's negotiating powers?

I find it a little fishy that everyone on the Oregon side has said unequivocally that Tubby is not a candidate. Yet, two different reporters are citing "someone close to Tubby" that a job offer has been made or that Oregon is strongly interested with big money; and/or Donna hates the weather. So, the info is coming from Tubby's side.

I know FOT says this is killing recruiting, but that's a short term issue at worst. The fact that Tubby's name continues to be out there only legitimizes what a good coach he is. I think overall, this has a positive effect, especially when he stays. People think, a coach that good that is wanted elsewhere stayed at MN. That place must be ok. So, lets say -- a person close to Tubby who might have a vested interest in Tubby's long term well-being at MN -- chose to keep these rumors going, to show Tubby is valued elsewhere, and say, that leads to getting a practice facility, a higher salary for Tubby and his assistants, etc., then that person "close to Tubby" would have accomplished his mission.

FOT can say all he wants, but almost all local stories regarding this cite "a person close to Tubby" which means it is coming from someone. Reporters don't make stuff up (at least almost never). So, someone is clearly feeding this info to these guys. Marcus and Doogie and Reusse are getting from someone here, that is nearly certain.

It could be legit. There may be a real offer there. Or, it might also be strategic in getting Tubby what he wants here at the U. If so, they're playing these media guys like a fiddle.

FOT can say all he wants, but almost all local stories regarding this cite "a person close to Tubby" which means it is coming from someone. Reporters don't make stuff up (at least almost never). So, someone is clearly feeding this info to these guys. Marcus and Doogie and Reusse are getting from someone here, that is nearly certain.

So someone is getting deep throated in the Gopher's camp for information?

So someone is getting deep throated in the Gopher's camp for information?

I have no idea if that's the case or not. Just throwing it out there as a possiblity. I mean is it beyond the realm of possibility that someone "close to Tubby" might be saying "Oregon wants Tubby" without regard for truth just so Tubby has a stronger leveraging position in negotiating a new contract or wanting the practice facility done.

Just throwing it out there as a possiblity. I mean is it beyond the realm of possibility that someone "close to Tubby" might be saying "Oregon wants Tubby" without regard for truth just so Tubby has a stronger leveraging position in negotiating a new contract or wanting the practice facility done.

It's entirely possible tj and wouldn't surprise me a bit. It's just a personal feeling of mine but I really think Tubby is intent on building a championship program here as a legacy. He is going to get what he wants and I don't think anyone should underestimate that he may go to certain lengths to get it.

Doogie- My issue is that the TC media has begun to emulate Jay Mariotti and is not accepting accountability for how wrong they've been reporting rumors or for the leaps they've taken in speculating. Maybe it has more to do with getting beat and having to compete with the new media outlets, but I have anecdotally concluded that the media types deciding to use social media to promote themselves has been a bust and in the end really put a dent into their own credibility.

For all we know, someone "close to Tubby" could simply be someone standing close to Tubby. Too many media hacks out there who are living off speculation and trying to make a name for themselves. I agree with the poster who noted that until Doogie or any so-called media member interviews Donna, all other reports as to whether she likes the winter weather are pure speculation. I'm not a big fan of our winter weather, but that doesn't mean that I'm leaving.

Trusted source who would know? Famous last words. If I had a nickle for everytime I have read that in a forum, I would be a rich man. When I see a coach on the recruiting trail at the WI state tournament and in Indiana the same days that PA is reporting that Tubby is scouting AL AAU players, I call BS. You can tell they have no journalism background.

I'm actually starting to feel a little sympathy towards ol' Doogie.

Maybe it's a negative attention type of deal?

Perhaps we should give him a group hug.

C'mon over here big guy..

((((((( hug )))))))

Does that feel a bit better?

To quote Tubby from his first press conference here, "I feel the love!"

Doogie- My issue is that the TC media has begun to emulate Jay Mariotti and is not accepting accountability for how wrong they've been reporting rumors or for the leaps they've taken in speculating. Maybe it has more to do with getting beat and having to compete with the new media outlets, but I have anecdotally concluded that the media types deciding to use social media to promote themselves has been a bust and in the end really put a dent into their own credibility.

I think there is definitely some validity to this take ... A lot of our business is about being first, not about being right ... I really don't care if I break a story or not, I care more about being right ... that being said, have people I've talked to been wrong ... they have, but over time, at least me specifically, they have given me enough good bits of information that have proven to be true, and many of those bits may never be discussed ... but you learn over time who you can trust and who you can't ... but it is an inexact science often.

Not that this holds any journalistic weight, but having talked with Donna before every Gopher home game this year, I've never heard her mention or complain about the weather. She once joked that she loved the snowstorm sometime in early January because it meant should slide and accidentally bump her car and have Tubby buy her a new one, but other than that she seems happy as a clam. Could be an act, but I'd be surprised if she secretly hated it here because of the climate.

Not that this holds any journalistic weight, but having talked with Donna before every Gopher home game this year, I've never heard her mention or complain about the weather. She once joked that she loved the snowstorm sometime in early January because it meant should slide and accidentally bump her car and have Tubby buy her a new one, but other than that she seems happy as a clam. Could be an act, but I'd be surprised if she secretly hated it here because of the climate.

You have more credibility than Myron, Doogie, Dodd and others with me.

Doogie

Is a legend like Cher, Madonna, Prince, Bono,Kobe,Sting... One name..

The guy I think was on this board calling out people because they wont use their real name and he goes by Doogie- like people are suppose to know who he is???

A lot of our business is about being first, not about being right ... I really don't care if I break a story or not, I care more about being right ...

For however many years you spent on Chad's show you said multiple, multiple times that the biggest problem with the media in this town, specifically the tv sports media, is that they don't break any stories. You took Rosen to task for it on more than one occasion.

Now you care only about being right. You've sure changed your tune since being fired or, I guess, you might be shading the truth a bit here. I have no doubt you would LIKE to be right but it is certainly second fiddle to being first and you know it.

As with any media anywhere, there is absolutely NO accountability to anything that you throw out so why would you care about being right. Which again, I believe has very, very little factor in your "inside info." You could be wrong 20 times in a row and right once and a media member like yourself will crow about it for the next 20 times you are wrong. Just the way the business works now and it's pretty sickening.

Top Bottom