Doogie: Ed Conroy would like to remain on the Gophers staff to support the new head coach

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said that Ed Conroy would like to remain at Minnesota and serve on the staff of the new head coach. With Liam Robbins potentially tied to the fortunes of Conroy, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's retained:

Go Gophers!!

I'd like to see that if it works out. He's a good coach. Interesting that he's apparently writing off the prospect of working for Richard again. I'm not sure, but Pitino might have been pressured or at least influenced to hire an experienced coach like him to shore up the defense.

Ed was the only "real coach" on the staff ... others were very early in their careers ... including Richard.

Honestly he probably just doesn’t want to move again. He had 9 stops (pretty much all in the south) in his first 26 years coaching that all would have required him to move to a new place. He was born in Iowa. Might just be sick of moving and wants to stay close to family in the Midwest for the first time in a while.

Not sure I get the love for Conroy. He was unsuccessful as a head coach at multiple stops, and has been a part of mostly mediocre to bad teams as an assistant.

I think a new coach will do better.
I love Conroy for one more year. I think he wants to stay for Robbins and that's a good thing for us and the new coach IMO.

If he is not retained would his nephew follow him? That’s the big question. He could interview saying I will bring along a 7’ Center. Might just get him in the door.

So we got Conoroy and Suggs as assistant coaches now. Sorry new future head coach, you can't pick your assistants
But you do get Liam Robbins and Chet Holmgren along with this....and then Prince Albigbe the year after that....

i only kid.....kind of

But you do get Liam Robbins and Chet Holmgren along with this....and then Prince Albigbe the year after that....

i only kid.....kind of
I'm all in. Another one to keep an eye on is Mercy Miller, he's going to be really good

Isn't Conroy supposedly a defensive coach?

So explain the Gophers performances. Or was he hindered by Pitino?

Basically, the only reason to keep him is to secure Robbins.

Isn't Conroy supposedly a defensive coach?

So explain the Gophers performances. Or was he hindered by Pitino?

Basically, the only reason to keep him is to secure Robbins.
We were pretty good defensively this year until Robbins and Gabe went down. We'd have been even better had Pitino used Ihnen more.

Keeping Robbins for possibly two more years, maybe the best returning big in the conference depending on who leaves, is alone a good enough reason to keep Conroy regardless of what else he brings as an assistant IMO.

If a different assistant was able to outweigh having the best big in the conference for up to two more years then he’d already be a head coach right now.

Let the new coach decide who his assistants should be. Nothing mentioned here wouldn't be recognized by the new coach. If he wants to move on with all of his own guys we will all be better off in the long run.

Maybe Robbins would stay even if Conroy doesn't. Why assume not? A lot may hang on how soon we get a new coach.

Conroy put in a lot of work with Oturu to help him develop offensively and you would think he has done the same with Robbins.
If this is true there is no reason a new coach wouldn't want to keep him for at least 2-3 years.

However, the school needs to leave that up to the new coach.

He is a midwesterner with a long track in coaching who has done a good job coaching the Gophers current Center. IMHO, he is a good experienced coach to keep around to develop the Gophers big.

This is something the new coach ought to seriously consider.

If this is true there is no reason a new coach wouldn't want to keep him for at least 2-3 years.

However, the school needs to leave that up to the new coach.
Absolutely. I don't think Conroy is doing anything but signaling to the eventual new coach that he's interested and available.

Let the new coach decide who his assistants should be. Nothing mentioned here wouldn't be recognized by the new coach. If he wants to move on with all of his own guys we will all be better off in the long run.

Maybe Robbins would stay even if Conroy doesn't. Why assume not? A lot may hang on how soon we get a new coach.
If the new coach doesn’t consult us, he’s a fool. We know the territory.

Not sure I get the love for Conroy. He was unsuccessful as a head coach at multiple stops, and has been a part of mostly mediocre to bad teams as an assistant.

I think a new coach will do better.
I mean he was head coach at Citadel and Tulane, those aren't exactly easy places to have success at, honestly probably two of the hardest jobs in the country. Neither team has been any better since he left and mostly worse.

Even ignoring that factor I think having a very experienced assistant who has been around the college game is a bonus for a coach coming into a new program.

Doogie's dream:
-HC: Sam Mitchell
-Assistant 1: Ryan Saunders
-Assistant 2: Ed Conroy
-Assistant 3: Ken Novak
-Grad Assistant: Jamal Abu-Shamala
-Ball Boy: Glen Taylor's Grandson

Top Bottom