Doogie column: Embarrassing loss is evidence Tubby Smith has checked out

It certainly doesn't help that two of the team's starters lack any true fire: Sampson and Williams. Sampson has finally started playing hard the past 3 games. We've only been waiting 4 years for that. Williams still isn't playing that aggressively. He's only got one year left to show it. I don't know why no one can light a fire under those two guys on the court, but let's face it, some people you just can't reach. And all that said, Sampson and Williams both appear to be good kids; so even though they are not leading the team to lots of victories, they also don't appear to be putting egg on the University either, which is more than we can say for some other past team members.

There are 4 guys on the team that play very aggressively consistently: Andre Hollins, Oseninks (sp?), Eliason, and Coleman. The fact that all 4 of those aggressive players are freshman is why I believe we actually have a good future!!!

Once all of the passive players are gone, tenacity could take over. Tenacity is what Clem's best teams brought. Randy Carter, Townsend Orr, Willie Burton, Kevin Lynch, John Thomas, and many more. They were physical, they were mean and meant business on the court, even if they weren't always the most talented. I see that in some of our young players.

+1

I don't disagree completely, but I think it isn't chaos yet. I still think Tubby gets another year.

However, you start by saying it only takes 1-2 good players. How do you know that isn't ellenson, Buggs or big mo? Add an improved Andre and Joe plus Rodney and things could be okay.

With no transfers next year, I'd hope for a better showing and less complete chaos.

I want better than okay.

Top Bottom