Doogie: Bucks, Knicks, and Mavs will have scouts watching Daniel Oturu & Clemson tonight

Is it unusual for pro scouts to watch college games?

Is it unusual for pro scouts to watch college games?
Probably not, probably a big deal for the gophers though to have scouts in to watch a sophomore specifically. Been awhile since we've anyone like that who draws as much on court attention as Oturu in the post.

Quite common... Coffee’s best home game happened when scouts were in attendance to watch him last year.

If he keeps up his current pace, I have strong doubts about him being around next year. He'll be challenged tonight. Clemson has a lot of size.

Tough to scout a kid that sits the pines with foul trouble. Oturu would be foolish to go to the NBA after this season.

Tough to scout a kid that sits the pines with foul trouble. Oturu would be foolish to go to the NBA after this season.

I think its way too early to assert that. Like everyone here I want him to play three years at the U but I suspect he'll do the pre-draft stuff and he's pegged for round 1, he'll likely leave.

A lot of upside but that comes from playing time. At this point I don't see him getting a ton of playing time on an NBA roster for some time if he goes pro after this year. If he can develop a mid range jumper awesome, if he can shoot the occasional open three then he is a top 10, maybe top 5 pick but at this point neither of those things much exist in his bucket of skills.

First foul 30 feet from the basket reaching on a guy who can't dribble, Hopefully he's going to figure some of that out. The new emphasis on moving picks is going to be a killer for him as well.

Sure Oturu at times will be in foul trouble, but it seems that he is getting smarter at not fouling as much. Does he committ stupid fouls at times? Of course. Last year after 8 games he was averaging 22.5 minutes a game while committing 28 fouls. He ended up with 4 fouls 5 times, obviously cutting into his time. This year he is averaging 30 minutes a game and has only committed 21 fouls. More time, less fouls. Hopefully he has figured some things out! Last night was only game he had 4 fouls. Obviously, things will be tougher in the big ten, but not committing dumb fouls will keep him in more games longer.

They don't scout foul trouble. That is something that can be fixed without any problem at all. They scout talent and projectibility. Don't think for one second Daniel won't bolt if he is told he has a chance of making an NBA roster and some good money. Why would he stay? If they were winning it would be one thing. If he projects round 1 though, he gone.

MenneSota quickly turning into the most negative and unaware poster in the basketball forum.

If he's a first round pick it's never foolish to leave.

At this point, I would be surprised to see him in a Gopher uniform next year. Even if he doesn't make an NBA roster, he can make a good living overseas. I hope he comes back but I don't expect it and I don't blame him. He does not have to be NBA ready to play pro ball and make some money. The old picture was about being a first rounder. Amir proved to all of us you don't have to be a first rounder to make the decision to leave and do okay.

The days of three and four year roster plans are fading fast if not gone already.

At this point, I would be surprised to see him in a Gopher uniform next year. Even if he doesn't make an NBA roster, he can make a good living overseas. I hope he comes back but I don't expect it and I don't blame him. He does not have to be NBA ready to play pro ball and make some money. The old picture was about being a first rounder. Amir proved to all of us you don't have to be a first rounder to make the decision to leave and do okay.

The days of three and four year roster plans are fading fast if not gone already.

I think there is zero chance he stays four. I think there is a 50/50 chance he comes back next year. If he does, he could find his way onto some of the preseason recognition lists that would further boost his exposure and potential draft position. I also think Gophers would be a dangerous team with the projected roster.

Top Bottom