Dont hurt Your Hand Patting Yourself On The Back LW!

gopherweirdo

Banned
Reaction score
"I'd like to thank Coach and the coaching staff and all my teammates for a great four years," Westbrook said. "Me, myself, personally, I'd like to thank myself for sticking through it. I've been through a lot here."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"I'd like to thank Coach and the coaching staff and all my teammates for a great four years," Westbrook said. "Me, myself, personally, I'd like to thank myself for sticking through it. I've been through a lot here."

Hahahahaha what a classic quote from LW...

The word "jackass" comes to mind. This guy did nothing at the U.

Except being instrumental in an AMAZING sweep of Wisconsin last season among many other things.

When I see Handsome Pete, the word "jackass" comes to mind

Except being instrumental in an AMAZING sweep of Wisconsin last season among many other things.

Sorry. Do "non-leader" or "choker" work better?

Sorry. Do "non-leader" or "choker" work better?

Not at all. Did he ever choke? Yes. Did he ever show signs of being a bad leader? Yes. Is there any player on our team that never choked and was always a great leader? Not even close.

Westbrook had his hair pulling moments throughout his career, but he also had his phenomenal moments. To say he did nothing at the U of M is just plain absurd.

That quote does crack me up!

I described Westbrook as the most hated, best player, we've had.

Meaning that - most of the times, the fans hate on players that are not very good. Like him or not, Westy has been one of our top 1-3 players (depending on who you ask)...but have never seen a player that's had such decent #'s, be so disliked amongst fans. He is the guy that won a number of games, almost singlehandedly - but is not a crowd favorite.

I described Westbrook as the most hated, best player, we've had.

Nice summary. For me, the issue has always been that you can count on LW...the problem is that you never know if you are counting on him to be clutch or to play in a way that hurts the team (selfish, impatient, out of control...he had many ways of doing this). The up and down was bad enough, but the attitude kinda sealed the deal for me and many others I think. I know we'll miss his production at times but I honestly can't say I'm sad to see him go.

Not at all. Did he ever choke? Yes. Did he ever show signs of being a bad leader? Yes. Is there any player on our team that never choked and was always a great leader? Not even close.

Westbrook had his hair pulling moments throughout his career, but he also had his phenomenal moments. To say he did nothing at the U of M is just plain absurd.

Damian Johnson comes to mind... he's not always been clutch... but he's always been a leader.

You're right, I wish he never put the team on his back and won games for us. It's too bad we could've played in the NIT the last two years if only he had transferred.

All you can say about LW is thanks, it was real..... We'll never forget you, but we're not sure we'll miss you when you're gone. Good luck in life. And getting over yourself.

Personally, I enjoyed his time here at the U. Even if there were frustrating moments, he left us with some phenomenal ones as well. He might have been one of the best finishers around the basket on the Gophers in the last decade, and for a stint there (last year) he was about the only player who could get fouled AND make free throws.

...and as fans, we have been through a lot of BS with you too LW. Good luck in the future, but don't let the door hit you in your pompous ass on the way out.

Sorry guys, NEVER liked the guy from the first time he ever spoke...you knew he was full of himself.

Hey LW...I'd like to thank myself for getting thru a lot of things in real life...Paying my own Tuition, Financial Problems, Divorce, a Heart Attack, and even times when my fridge was empty of beer. But I made it, and for those times, amongst others, I would like to thank myself.

Damian Johnson comes to mind... he's not always been clutch... but he's always been a leader.

Yes, this was going to be my response too. Damien Johnson has always been a leader. We was my favorite Gopher the last two years. Very sorry to see him go.

Westbrook was a very entertaining Gopher. He would have monster games, or just horrible, and like was mentioned he could always finish around the rim. He also made some incredibly dumb/awesome quotes about himself that no one else could believe like the "I was left off the all defensive team, I'm the best defender" quote a couple weeks ago. Guy cracks me up.

Always have to remember those games. That was so awesome.

Westbrook was a very entertaining Gopher. He would have monster games, or just horrible, and like was mentioned he could always finish around the rim. He also made some incredibly dumb/awesome quotes about himself that no one else could believe like the "I was left off the all defensive team, I'm the best defender" quote a couple weeks ago. Guy cracks me up.

I thought quotes were something someone actually said.

I don't have the quote right in front of me and don't have the drive to look it up, but when asked on how he felt about DJ being left off the big ten all defensive team, he talked about how DJ and him were left off, and said something about shutting down the other team's top scorers. That's pretty close to what I said FtB.

TRANSLATION: I'm glad I stayed at Minnesota.

Even when the coach who brought him here from AZ was fired. Three different head coaches. A nine win season. His brother nearly killed in a car accident.

Simple enough

If ALL he ever did was single-handedly DEVASTATE the Badgers and their fans at the Kohl Center last year, that would be enough for me.

Sure, it seemed his attitude wasn't always the greatest and maybe he should have sat more than he did. But as has been stated, he's the only guy in recent memory who could actually hit FT's down the stretch and as one of the commentators in a game said once this year, he's one the best layup makes I've ever seen. Driving to the hoop, anywhere within 5-7 feet of the rim, he knew how to put it in the basket. He's also one of the only guys in the last several years that could hit the mid-range jumper.

That being said, I think the Gophers will not necessarily miss him in the coming years.

On a side note, when will the Gophers have players whose names our fans can actually spell? Hoffarber's name gets spelled correctly way more often than "Nolen" and "Damian". Sorry, that's a f'n headscratcher....

Agreed, Westbrook was the biggest underachiever I can ever remember at the U. How the hell do you go from averaging 41 points a game in high school to about 13 in College? His career best game was about 29 points. This guy should have had multiple 30 point games per season with a couple 40 point games sprinkled in. He was a complete letdown and a joke of a player.

Westie was a nice player but the problem was he possesses zero self awareness. He's got a Kobe Bryant attitude and Townsend Orr game.

That is to say Westie has the toughness and killer instinct one expects in a Kobe Bryant type of player and man oh man did the Gophers lack that. In his mind Westie is an All-American and would be the go-to guy on any team in the nation, so naturally he's arrogant as hell, doesn't take coaching well and alienated teammates because he doesn't like to pass the ball or involve them.

The reality is he's a nice compliment on a good team. A 6th man gunner that can come in with your second unit and provide some scoring of the bench.

He was never allowed to play that role, nor would he accept it and in my opinion it'll be addition by subtraction now that he's gone.

* Side Note: By vote for best player/least popular would go to Kris Humphries, but I gree 100% with the concept & that Westie is high on that list.

Not a very diplomatic comment by LW. Nevertheless, I'm not sure the statement was meant to sound as egocentric as it did. I think he may have was just been saying it had been a long and difficult road and he was feeling the same pride in himself that anyone would feel who had just completed a long , difficult task. I'll miss him in much the same why I missed Lawrence Mckensie. A reliable, go to, guy.

What i will miss about Westbrook: one of the few guys who could create his own shot, and do so off the dribble. One of the few guys who could get hot and carry the team. The few times he hit game winning shots.

What I won't miss about Westbrook: the constant whining on the court. The attempted dunk against WI with time running out and up by what, 15? The rolling of his eyes when called for a foul, or when he thought someone else fouled him. The number of times (there were a lot) where he waited too long to take the lost shot, panicked, and got nothing off. Him trying to beat a press - a complete disaster.

LW should be a 6th/7th man on a good team. He was asked to do much more than that for this team, which offered him some opportunities to shine, but also exposed him in many ways as well.

Hey LW...I'd like to thank myself for getting thru a lot of things in real life...Paying my own Tuition, Financial Problems, Divorce, a Heart Attack, and even times when my fridge was empty of beer. But I made it, and for those times, amongst others, I would like to thank myself.

Best post I've read in awhile.

* Side Note: By vote for best player/least popular would go to Kris Humphries, but I gree 100% with the concept & that Westie is high on that list.

How could I have forgot about Hump? Probably because I tried to block out that season in my mind ;)

I think Westy does take the cake though - because he's a 4 year player that achieved that dislike. That is really rare.

Top Bottom