Does Brew have veto power over the gameday...

Reaction score
O/D game plans: strategy, schemes?

For example, the IL 1H. Does he set the overall strategic agenda re play-scripting etc?

Or does he delegate exclusively to JF/TD & Cos/RL respectively?

Or does he look for a staff consensus in both areas?

If that's not known, does anyone have an opinion about how the HC should input to the process?

Unless I'm missing something, during most games I've viewed on TV, Brew seems to have a hands-off relationship on O re JF...JF does most of the interacting with the qbs etc, but I'm not in the stadium so I don't have an overall view.

In the D area, I have no idea if Cos has a free hand or not.

Just trying to understand who is really in charge of and responsible for the overall strategic flow of the game and in-game adjustments in Brewster's coaching/management setup.

O/D game plans: strategy, schemes?

For example, the IL 1H. Does he set the overall strategic agenda re play-scripting etc?

Or does he delegate exclusively to JF/TD & Cos/RL respectively?

Or does he look for a staff consensus in both areas?

If that's not known, does anyone have an opinion about how the HC should input to the process?

Unless I'm missing something, during most games I've viewed on TV, Brew seems to have a hands-off relationship on O re JF...JF does most of the interacting with the qbs etc, but I'm not in the stadium so I don't have an overall view.

In the D area, I have no idea if Cos has a free hand or not.

Just trying to understand who is really in charge of and responsible for the overall strategic flow of the game and in-game adjustments in Brewster's coaching/management setup.

As the head coach he has the final say over what his assistants do. Now whether or not he excercises that veto privilege is unknown by me. Pure speculation but maybe he doesn't feel comfortable inserting himself to much into the game plans because he has never been responsible for putting one together himself. It is kind of like hiring a sales manager to advise a sales force on how to do their job when the manager has never sold anything themselves. It is hard to maintain credibility.

As the head coach he has the final say over what his assistants do. Now whether or not he excercises that veto privilege is unknown by me. Pure speculation but maybe he doesn't feel comfortable inserting himself to much into the game plans because he has never been responsible for putting one together himself. It is kind of like hiring a sales manager to advise a sales force on how to do their job when the manager has never sold anything themselves. It is hard to maintain credibility.

Thanks for your input.

In the sales manager analogy, if the sales manager says "I want sales up +5% this month and I expect you guys to deliver," that's one "command" approach without any specific direction: new ad campaign, new products, incentive/discount sales, salesman bonuses etc. No real sales/marketing strategy or vision here.

Kind of like Brew telling his coaches: "I expect a W this Saturday and you will be running an O pro set most of the time." Or does TB have a general vision of how he sees a game playing out vs a particular opponent and might say "Pound the rock, you [JF/TB] figure out the details" or perhaps more detailed "Pound the rock and this is who I want you to feature with these sets."

As mostly a TV fan, I don't see much of TB on the sidelines so I don't understand the communication flow from the HC to his assistants during the game. As captain of the ship, he has final responsibility and authority over where he's going...ie spread vs pro sets etc...title goals etc...but does he have any real vision of how to execute the plan? Or does he delegate the details of negotiating through the icebergs to his executive officers without any real input from the bridge? This is how I sense Joe Pa operates at PSU and it seems to work out fine for the Lions ...maybe Brew is just modeling Joe who he admires greatly.

Seems like other than the recruiting aspect...where he's very hands-on...his approach to HCing is a very much hands-off, no-details, delegation operation on the field. Maybe I'm way off-base, but that's my impression listening to his pressers, interviews and reading comments about his HCing approach here. In other words, results on the field from a strategic point of view are the products of JF/TD's vision for the O and Cos/Lee for the D...these are the guys who are really calling the shots on gameday and Brew is relatively disconnected from execution of the strategic process.

Although different venues, that hands-off, delegation approach is much different than what we see generally with respect to collegiate bb, hockey and baseball. In those sports, HCs seem to absorb input from assistants and use that to help direct the ship through the icebergs.

On a corporate level this analogy isn't true. There are many cases where VP's down to managers move from division to division without having any experience there. The expectation placed on the individual is not to insert themselves into doing their subordinates work, but to ensure the subordinates are performing at the best of their abilities.

I would expect that Brewster requires his coaches to sell him on their game plans during the formulation stage, but appears to give Fisch and Cosgrove/Lee room to execute their plans, except for major decisions like fourth down, etc

Brewster is a Type A personality. Heck he's probably an Alpha Type A. I guarantee you he isn't hands off. Sometimes I wonder if he's too hands on like telling Fisch to scheme for Decker in a way that led Fisch to over do it.

Top Bottom