Does Barker-gate impact recruiting?

Stan

Reaction score
I have to think other coaches will use this against us. How much does this hurt? I have to imagine it hurts more locally than nationally.

It will hurt for preferred walk-on recruiting. When the team's leading receiver can't earn a scolarship, who can?

Yes it does. We have more openings at receiver and another walk-on spot available. So it is a positive.

Not really. Most kids will stick pick a big ten program over playing at Western Michigan.

Give me a break, players leave programs all the time. Most of the people making comments probably don't even know who he is. My favorite comments are by people who complain and complain about the Gophers and never attend one sporting event.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're already in 12th place in recruiting...lol...If more players speak out about Kill's "manipulation" and "abuse" than it could be grounds for termination, ala Mike Leach or Mangino...

I believe the reason we are showing up 12th for recruiting is we have very few scholarships available for next year and very few of them have been accepted at this point. Is this correct?

I believe the reason we are showing up 12th for recruiting is we have very few scholarships available for next year and very few of them have been accepted at this point. Is this correct?

# of scholarships is a factor but the main one is that none of the guys commited are 4* Rivals whereas everyone else in the conference has at least 1

If it warns prima donnas like Barker that this is not the place for them, I don't see how it could hurt.

This was an unpleasant episode. In the end JK wins because he is and needs to be the guy in charge. I don't think anyone will even remember AJ Barker in several weeks. To the extent that it does hurt recruiting there is a greater upside in that it is clearly evident to everyone that prima donnas won't be tolerated. Barker just comes across as a spoiled pussy.

If it warns prima donnas like Barker that this is not the place for them, I don't see how it could hurt.

Why on earth do you feel the need to call him a prima donna? Do we not have enough fuel in the playhouse to explode this into another big peeing contest. What if his aunt would come on this board and start pointing fingers at us for pointing out the obvious! My gawd. The sky would part. It would begin raining. Dogs and cats would become friends. Mimes would be socially accepted and Jerry Kill would, well, be himself. My gawd man. Prima donna!

Unless there is some late-breaking bombshell the story has played out and Kill comes out looking like a reasonable coach. For that reason I don't think recruiting will be adversely affected. In fact if I'm Drew Wolitarsky I am thinking this opens up a spot for me since he is similar to Barker, i.e. all-time state receiving record holder. Harbison, McDonald, Carter, Engel, and Fruechete should also see this as more opportunity to play

Why on earth do you feel the need to call him a prima donna? Do we not have enough fuel in the playhouse to explode this into another big peeing contest. What if his aunt would come on this board and start pointing fingers at us for pointing out the obvious! My gawd. The sky would part. It would begin raining. Dogs and cats would become friends. Mimes would be socially accepted and Jerry Kill would, well, be himself. My gawd man. Prima donna!

Huh???????

It will hurt for preferred walk-on recruiting. When the team's leading receiver can't earn a scolarship, who can?
100% correct. Usually coaches treat walk-ons better because they're a full time student putting themselves through hell for a game they love for free. So when a story like this arises (even if it is from Barker who can be a drama queen at times) it reflects very poorly.

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks it doesn't is kidding themselves. It shouldn't matter though because I have been told recruiting isn't important because Kill and his staff can coach em up.

Did Mike Leach get hurt in recruiting? Because it is almost the same thing.....the difference is that Barkers dad isnt an ESPN employee so they didnt run with the story.

Did Mike Leach get hurt in recruiting? Because it is almost the same thing.....the difference is that Barkers dad isnt an ESPN employee so they didnt run with the story.

I see your point, but I don't think yelling at a kid for not arguing with a trainer is that similar to locking a kid who just had a concussion in a shed.

100% correct. Usually coaches treat walk-ons better because they're a full time student putting themselves through hell for a game they love for free. So when a story like this arises (even if it is from Barker who can be a drama queen at times) it reflects very poorly.

If it does, those kids aren't doing any research. Scholarships are awarded at the beginning of the year, when Kill refused to give Barker a scholarship, he was a RS JR with 5 career catches and a history of injuries. It sounds like prior to this year, the scholarship came down to him or Wettstein and at that time can anyone honestly make an argument that Barker was more deserving than Wettstein?

Coach Kill has given walk-ons every chance to succeed and play a ton, he should still be popular with potential walk-ons and if he isn't, oh well.

I see your point, but I don't think yelling at a kid for not arguing with a trainer is that similar to locking a kid who just had a concussion in a shed.

Allegedly.

Especially since the "dark shed" room at Texas Tech was a room with lights that is bigger than the Iowa visitors locker room.....and the door wasn't locked.

It will help recruiting. People's brains won't remember the Baker part of the story, just the University of Minnesota and Jerry Kill. All he had to do was handle it smoothly and move on quickly. Just enough for priming affects to work on the brain. If the issue lingers it hurts. This is happens a lot in politics where scandals make people look human and if moved past swiftly they end up helping.

That's there is no such thing as bad press. Any kid who uses this in the process of elimination was not likely to have chosen us as there is no scandel. Heck, look at Penn State; there recruiting class this year rocks and last year wasn't that bad (a lot better than our best)... and that was child molestation.

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks it doesn't is kidding themselves. It shouldn't matter though because I have been told recruiting isn't important because Kill and his staff can coach em up.

Aaaaaaalways. lol

I agree though. You can't tell me that every coach with a recruit thinking about coming to the U won't say "Well, here at ______, we don't treat players the way the Gophers do". Come on now.

Allegedly.

Especially since the "dark shed" room at Texas Tech was a room with lights that is bigger than the Iowa visitors locker room.....and the door wasn't locked.

Allegedly, of course. But the important think is that the allegations aren't very similar at all.

Top Bottom