Dodd: Further Big Ten expansion could open door for additional revenue, broadcast partners

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dodd:

Should it expand, the Big Ten would need a rightsholder (or rightsholders) to pay for its extra inventory. CBS, Fox and NBC already have their schedules set with what they believe to be cost certainty -- number games to be televised, windows to televise those games and a "selection draft" for the most desirable games.

"I would keep that window open for ESPN," a high-profile source with extensive knowledge of media rights told CBS Sports. "Until all this is done, there are lots of moving parts. Never say never."

ESPN will still show nonconference games and bowl games involving Big Ten teams as part of its existing deals with other Power Five conferences. And there is no use in the Big Ten alienating ESPN, which will be among the networks falling all over themselves to bid on what is expected to be an expanded College Football Playoff in the next few years.

"I don't think there's any concern [regarding expansion]," said CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus. "We have really good exclusivity provisions in our contract. I can't go into specifics, but our window [to show games] is protected.

"If there were additional games to be added in different time slots, we would certainly take a look at that. I'm sure NBC and Fox would also. Expansion, by and large, would only be a positive. But we would have to find windows and time slots to air any potential games but that would be a benefit to everybody."

McManus spoke only about the concept of Big Ten expansion, not referring to any specific schools or addressing the likelihood of it occurring.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom