Do you want Ben back for a fourth year?

Do you want Ben back for a fourth year?

• Yes, Ben deserves to return next season for Year 4.

Votes: 129 59.4%
  • No, we need a new coach for next season.

Votes: 88 40.6%

• Total voters
I think we'd all agree with coaches who have some track record of success it'd be easier to swallow a few lean years.

So, in other words, we should expect less in the early years of coaching tenure from an experienced coach with an established record of success who is compensated accordingly than we should expect from one who is inexperienced and paid significantly less.

I don't think we could have gotten Hoiberg or Pikiell for anything close to what Johnson was paid when adjusted for inflation and those two coaches didn't have a winning season until their fourth years.

If Ben gets fired, multiple players leave, perhaps nearly the entire roster. These players are committed to him and have been vocal about liking him. Do y’all want to start from scratch again? I am tired of the revolving door. He has a foundation. Let him build it. Asuma wants to play for him. Let’s see what plays out with who stays/leaves and portal.
It's a fair point, and I'm prepared for a year 4 with Ben.

It still seems unlikely that Ben is the answer, but it's a reality we'll see what happens.

If / whenever Ben is gone, there will always be the idea that you'll have to start over. Some coaches are able to come in, bring guys with them, and successfully re-recruit guys on the current roster. That's always a possibility.

We'll see.

And it’s obvious some of you hope we are never anything more than mediocre.

Well, let's assume for the sake of argument that I am hoping for mediocre. You, on the other hand, have been hoping for greatness I assume. Yet, the results are what they are despite the differential hopes.

Silly boy.

Agreed- on fire hot. NCAA or fired next year. They need to help him get all the NIL support he can- then Ben needs to get a improve the roster in the portal. Keep the core and get two good transfers, one star and one depth player.
We were pretty healthy this year. That probably won't happen again, so it's very possible we'll "poor Ben" ourselves into year 5 even without an NCAA bid. Remember according to the coach, years one and two were hindered greatly because Ihnen wasn't available.

Love the delusional "If Ben returns" comments. There hasn’t been any indication by Coyle or any media types that he is on the way out. You can’t start over constantly and try and rebuild relationships all the time. Hoiberg struggled at NE for several years, as did some other league coaches. Sheesh we gave Pitino What, 8 years. I don’t know anymore than anyone else how well the players like him, but from the outside looking in they due. Hell, we did even know JOJ had a concussion, we just assumed it was that idiot Ben wasn’t smart enough to play him.

As for the comment that he "stops short" of recruiting players? Yup, I am sure that once he gets 5-6 he just puts his feet up, and doesn’t answer the phone from those recruits calling to beg for a spot in the roster?

As for the comment that he "stops short" of recruiting players? Yup, I am sure that once he gets 5-6 he just puts his feet up, and doesn’t answer the phone from those recruits calling to beg for a spot in the roster?
So do you agree 3 years in likely issue #1 has been depth correct?

So I would agree he likely doesn't put his feet up, but then that means he either can't identify talent or close the deal with guys. The end result is the exact same. We end up with 4-5 guys he can play and we hit a wall. I really don't think it's up for debate CBJ needs to have more talent in the roster. And as the GM and coach it is on him

And it’s obvious some of you hope we are never anything more than mediocre.
That is a load of BS. Everyone here wants to see the program be as successful as possible but some of us are willing to not blow things up right away if they aren't working.

Johnson is going to get year 4 to show what he can do. If the team backslides you won't find anyone here ok with the idea of keeping him around for a 5th year. But there are many of us (as seen in the poll results) that aren't quite ready to throw in the towel and start over again.

So do you agree 3 years in likely issue #1 has been depth correct?

So I would agree he likely doesn't put his feet up, but then that means he either can't identify talent or close the deal with guys. The end result is the exact same. We end up with 4-5 guys he can play and we hit a wall. I really don't think it's up for debate CBJ needs to have more talent in the roster. And as the GM and coach it is on him
The core players need to get better as well. As I mentioned in another post, I can't name a player on the roster that is a good two way player. Garcia needs to defend better, Payne needs range, Christie needs to be a stronger defender, Mitchell needs to be smarter about his shots.
Hawkins gets the most of what he has from a 5-9 body. Because he is small defense can be an issue against big guards. I think these guys will get better.

No comparison between Johnson and Hoiberg in basketball knowledge. Check their backgrounds and experience. We could have had Hoiberg if we would have opened the bank. We all know why Johnson was hired. And wasn’t because of basketball knowledge.

That is a load of BS. Everyone here wants to see the program be as successful as possible but some of us are willing to not blow things up right away if they aren't working.

Johnson is going to get year 4 to show what he can do. If the team backslides you won't find anyone here ok with the idea of keeping him around for a 5th year. But there are many of us (as seen in the poll results) that aren't quite ready to throw in the towel and start over again.
Only if the team backslides? What if they’re no better or no worse than this year? Is failing to finish above .500 in conference and not making the tournament again grounds for firing him next year? It is for me.

What happens if Johnson pulls a Pitino and weeks out a 10 seed next year so then it takes another three bad years to get rid of him?

That's a good question. If he gets to the NCAA tournament next season, chances are he gets two more years even if the following year is bad. After all, Pitino had a bad year after each of his NCAA tournament appearances and survived those to get another year.

I think if the starters return, Ben has a pretty fair chance of getting 20+ wins and an NCAA berth but has as good of a chance of having a poor season the year after that because of the anticipated roster losses. So, people should be prepared for the possibility you suggest.

The more I think on this question the more I’d fire him.

Firing pitino was the right move at the right time (I would argue it could’ve been done earlier)

But if you told me I could trade Johnson to have pitino back…that’s a clear upgrade. Meaning what are we even doing here?

Firing pitino was the right move at the right time (I would argue it could’ve been done earlier)

But if you told me I could trade Johnson to have pitino back…that’s a clear upgrade. Meaning what are we even doing here?
Amen. Please be sure to vote again 😎

What happens if Johnson pulls a Pitino and weeks out a 10 seed next year so then it takes another three bad years to get rid of him?
If we start over next year- we are looking at three years to get this going again. I'll take my chances on the 10 seed if that's the bargain.

Man we have such great fans in Minnesota! Everyone wants their coach fired in every sport! Girls hockey just lost in four OT’S and the great thinkers out there want Frost fired! What a great society we live in! I’m gonna say this Ben Johnson stays, and piss on the rest of you!

The late vote has been almost all in the same direction. Very fishy...

Last edited:

Trade for Year 3 Pitino or now Pitino? Makes a difference...

Man we have such great fans in Minnesota! Everyone wants their coach fired in every sport! Girls hockey just lost in four OT’S and the great thinkers out there want Frost fired! What a great society we live in! I’m gonna say this Ben Johnson stays, and piss on the rest of
Man we have such great fans in Minnesota! Everyone wants their coach fired in every sport! Girls hockey just lost in four OT’S and the great thinkers out there want Frost fired! What a great society we live in! I’m gonna say this Ben Johnson stays, and piss on the rest of you!
We Have been bad for decades, it’s not Ben’s fault! He has no head coaching experience!

Top Bottom