Boilermaker = L
Rutgers = W
Buckeye = L
Cornhusker = L
Illini = L
PSU = W
Hoosier = L
Northwestern = L

2 MAYBE 3 more winds for the Gopher this year. I truly hope I'm wrong, lack of any confidence in the HC would be the reason.
Well you are off to an 0-2 start.....here's hoping that trend continues.

At this point I think there is a great chance we win all 4 remaining home games....None of the road games will be easy but find a way to steal one or two and we are sitting on a pretty special season, especially when you consider where the team was at this time last year and what they were expected to do this year.

After last night a 10-10 regular season or maybe better feels very doable. I was as hopeful as any about this team and this season but I didn't think we would be sitting here in early February in the top half of the conference.

Well, that's not just pie in the sky. Haslametrics has us favored in 4 more conference games so that would be 10-10. Torvik has us favored in the same (although they list an expected 9-11 finish). ESPN's BPI now has us closer to 10 conference wins than 9 in their projection. If we beat Iowa, those likely will go up to 11-9.

Before the season started, I thought 7-13 would be an acceptable improvement but 8-12 in conference would be better and still a fair target for the team. I thought 9-11 would be great but possibly a bridge too far. Now, 10-10 looks like a mainstream consensus forecast.

Carnac, I understand your glass ball was a little cloudy when you first looked. Has it cleared up a bit? What are you seeing now?

You can see from some of these more pessimistic (even though fairly recent) projections how brain washed people became from hanging out in the "Ben Johnson is a Disaster!" echo chamber.

Carnac, I understand your glass ball was a little cloudy when you first looked. Has it cleared up a bit? What are you seeing now?
Happy they won last night. Happy whenever they win. I hope they can pick up a couple more as they work toward the end of the season.
Unlike some however, i.e, Twistingmymelon, I'm not afraid to throw my thoughts out there rather than using someone else's analytics.
Am I sold on Johnson as a HC, no as of today I have doubts. If one is honest with themselves it is hard not to look at the first 21/4 seasons and think this might not turn out to be a good hire.

GO GOPHER
ROW THE BOAT
SKI-U-MAH

You can see from some of these more pessimistic (even though fairly recent) projections how brain washed people became from hanging out in the "Ben Johnson is a Disaster!" echo chamber.
I see barnburner laughed at my 10-10 post a few posts back. Not sure what was funny about it and I wont be reading whatever BS follow-up posts he might have, but from what I can tell he has very little to say after wins.

Shame, because I do actually think the guy is or was a Gopher fan but is so jaded he is only happy now when things are bad and he can complain.

Happy they won last night. Happy whenever they win. I hope they can pick up a couple more as they work toward the end of the season.
Unlike some however, i.e, Twistingmymelon, I'm not afraid to throw my thoughts out there rather than using someone else's analytics.
Am I sold on Johnson as a HC, no as of today I have doubts. If one is honest with themselves it is hard not to look at the first 21/4 seasons and think this might not turn out to be a good hire.

GO GOPHER
ROW THE BOAT
SKI-U-MAH
Nobody should be sold on Johnson yet as a long term hire.

But those still harping on the past few years need to move on and actually look at what is going on here.

We have a fun team with a lot of youth that seems to be getting better and better. The trajectory of the program looks really good right now. What happens from this point forward will determine what kind of run Johnson has are the U. If he can keep building on this he will be here a long time. If he can’t, he won’t.

GO GOPHER
ROW THE BOAT
SKI-U-MAH
When he was first announced, I was puzzled by the selection.
After watching games that first year that changed. The roster wasn't great, but they played hard each game. Injuries and a lack of depth really hurt their chances to win more games. Yes, the roster building was on him and his inexperience as a head coach was exposed in those games. He did a very nice job of being able to recruit players after that first year as he finally had something to show to players. Year 2 was not good in terms of wins and it was really hard to watch some games. Defensively, you could see what they were trying to do, they just were not good at executing it due to inexperience and still no depth.
He's got some depth this year and they have slowly started to understand what it takes to compete at this level on both ends of the floor. We still have stretches of not being good, but they have started to minimize those more and more as the season has gone on. He has shown to be able to draw up plays out of time outs, has good inbound plays and has adjusted the offense as the season has gone on to take advantage of the match ups and hot hand on a given night. The defense has been good to great for most of the season. Put it all together and it shows me that BJ can coach. I think he's going to be one of the better hires this program has had when his time is finally over.

After watching games that first year that changed. The roster wasn't great, but they played hard each game. Injuries and a lack of depth really hurt their chances to win more games. Yes, the roster building was on him and his inexperience as a head coach was exposed in those games. He did a very nice job of being able to recruit players after that first year as he finally had something to show to players. Year 2 was not good in terms of wins and it was really hard to watch some games. Defensively, you could see what they were trying to do, they just were not good at executing it due to inexperience and still no depth.
He's got some depth this year and they have slowly started to understand what it takes to compete at this level on both ends of the floor. We still have stretches of not being good, but they have started to minimize those more and more as the season has gone on. He has shown to be able to draw up plays out of time outs, has good inbound plays and has adjusted the offense as the season has gone on to take advantage of the match ups and hot hand on a given night. The defense has been good to great for most of the season. Put it all together and it shows me that BJ can coach. I think he's going to be one of the better hires this program has had when his time is finally over.
well stated.
a couple things to add-- my ideal hire was Brian Dutcher with Ben as HC in waiting for about 3-4 years, just to not have what we had in year 1 and 2. Any new head coach that doesn't bring recruits from their previous job is 1-2 recruiting years behind. That is why year 1 players were 1 year players- needed the roster spots freed up

one of the things that really helped show Ben's coaching abilities (for me) was the mic'd up game against Ohio State last year. Ben out-coached Holtman all game long, just didn't have the talent to pull it off, but it showed the control in the huddle and the adjustments that they made then and continue to make at half-time this year.

Could not agree more. My pick to be HC all along. Wishing him nothing but the very best.

Northwestern = L
Sparty = L
Hawkeye = L
Boilermaker = L
Rutgers = W
Buckeye = L
Cornhusker = L
Illini = L
PSU = W
Hoosier = L
Northwestern = L

2 MAYBE 3 more wins for the Gopher this year. I truly hope I'm wrong, lack of any confidence in the HC would be the reason.
You didn’t truly hope you were wrong when you posted this. None of your posts indicate any hope for that.

well stated.
a couple things to add-- my ideal hire was Brian Dutcher with Ben as HC in waiting for about 3-4 years, just to not have what we had in year 1 and 2. Any new head coach that doesn't bring recruits from their previous job is 1-2 recruiting years behind. That is why year 1 players were 1 year players- needed the roster spots freed up

one of the things that really helped show Ben's coaching abilities (for me) was the mic'd up game against Ohio State last year. Ben out-coached Holtman all game long, just didn't have the talent to pull it off, but it showed the control in the huddle and the adjustments that they made then and continue to make at half-time this year.
I think we won the mic’d up game against Ohio State last year.

You didn’t truly hope you were wrong when you posted this. None of your posts indicate any hope for that.
Nope. That's what I thought would happen. To date I have been wrong. Not ashamed to admit being wrong.
I want the Gopher program to be in the top half of the Big 10. Through the first 21/3 seasons it looked to be an underwhelming hire. Things are looking up and I hope that trend continues.

Looking like 7 or 8 big ten wins, lets just say underwhelming. 0 NCAA tournaments in year 3 should be fireable imo

The four remaining home games don't look as easy as they once did. Rutgers and Penn State are playing well and OSU and Indiana already beat us pretty easily. Should still win 3/4 but I doubt we run the table.

The four remaining home games don't look as easy as they once did. Rutgers and Penn State are playing well and OSU and Indiana already beat us pretty easily. Should still win 3/4 but I doubt we run the table.

Which match-up do you like the least?

Let's see... my peak era following the Vikings had 3 losses in 3 NFC championship games.

I jumped on the Gophers men's hockey bandwagen towards the end of the last season. The were upset in the championship game.

I bought tickets to the remaining men's basketball home games this season. Yea, what a mistake. ;)

Let's see... my peak era following the Vikings had 3 losses in 3 NFC championship games.

I jumped on the Gophers men's hockey bandwagen towards the end of the last season. The were upset in the championship game.

I bought tickets to the remaining men's basketball home games this season. Yea, what a mistake. ;)
It’s obviously you, sell the tickets please!

Iowa loss was a gut punch. If this team wanted to think tourney they had to win that game being up that big.
Purdue is going to hammer us, need to steal Illinois for sure, take care of business at home then get one of NW or Nebraska on the road.

Northwestern
Michigan State
@ Iowa
1-2

@ Purdue
0-1

Rutgers
Ohio state
@ Nebraska
1-2

@ Illinois
Penn state
Indiana
@ northwestern

1-3

Probably finish 7-13 in my opinion. I think 8-12 more likely than 6-14.
5-15 probably more likely than 9-11
So far they’re doing 1 game better than my projection.

So I’ll say 8-12 as my projection.
9-11 more likely than 7-13

They have kind of shown me that they aren’t terrible at this point. So I now think 10-10 is more likely than 7-13 as well.
7-13 more likely than 11-9 though.

I’ll be shocked if they finish 6-14 or 12-8 or better.

Top Bottom