Do we need to start 4-0 to get the casual Minnesota sports fan interested?

4-0 will get the national media's attention

There seems to be more interest in Gopher football now that there has been for decades. But fan and media attention are diluted by the many sports attractions in the Twin Cities -- more than in any other metro area of our size. And, of course, there's Going UpNorth in the fall to cabins on weekends that distracts fans, too. At the level UM football is now, i.e. we approach games believing we can win any game, we're probably close to having as much fan and media attention as possible in this market.

The Vikings need to be 1-4 and look terrible doing it in order for this Gopher team to get any oxygen in this town.

We are on the cusp of much stronger fan interest than usual right now... Example being the attendance at these first 2 non conference games.... Colorado will garner very strong attendance based on name alone... the students are into it so far.... Keep winning and it will grow exponentially.

I think we are seeing our answer. 4 dominating wins, the hype is starting, the casual fan is taking notice. LFG!

It's a Vikings town in a Metropolitan area that has a ton of fans from Iowa, Wisconsin and fans of in-state teams that don't follow the Gophers. Many of whom just want the Gophers to lose

Beat NMSU & now Western Illinois and nobody cares. Beat Colorado? More people will pay attention. Beat the Spartans and a lot of people will pay attention.

Unless of course the Vikings beat the Packers and then the Eagles.:unsure:

Gophers now have beaten Colorado and MSU to get to 4-0. Getting a lot of national attention too.

The Vikings DID beat Green Bay and then looked awful in losing to Philadelphia. If they lose to Detroit today?

If they win they'll still get the most attention this week. Wonder how much attention KFAN and the local stations give the Gophers next week if the Vikings lose?;)

I think since 2019 the casual fan pays attention to the Gophers. I think the casual fan also approaches the gophers season like the NFL. Non-Conference is often treated like the NFL preseason where it isn’t worth watching. Playing Colorado will raise a few eye brows but most casual fans also know Colorado is a shell of what they were in the 90s.
The Penn State game in 2019 got the casual fan interested

Top Bottom