Dline/Oline

Things to be excited about: DL played disciplined football and was a big part of the reason we had a shutout with only giving up 91 yards. The OL seemed to open holes at will in the run game, which led to close to 300 yards on the ground. Often times running backs didn't see anyone until 5-8 yards downfield. I don't see the run game or the disciplined defense going away against tougher competition (level of success will differ).

Things to be concerned about: There were moments where it seemed the NMSU QB had plenty of time to pass. With our good secondary, giving a QB a lot of time didn't hurt us, but with better WR's, you give a good QB that much time we will get stung. The OL was the opposite, they seemed to allow pressure to get to Morgan, not consistently, but enough to warrant concern when you are going against NMSU.

Bottom Line: With so many question marks going in, this was a great start to the season. In 2019 going up against SDSU we didn't leave that game with any confidence in our OL and DL. While this opponent was tired and bad, they did everything you would want to see out of them. However, I am not sure we saw OL or DL play that would warrant us thinking it will be the same or better than last year (but then again we don't need them to be).

Things to be excited about: DL played disciplined football and was a big part of the reason we had a shutout with only giving up 91 yards. The OL seemed to open holes at will in the run game, which led to close to 300 yards on the ground. Often times running backs didn't see anyone until 5-8 yards downfield. I don't see the run game or the disciplined defense going away against tougher competition (level of success will differ).

Things to be concerned about: There were moments where it seemed the NMSU QB had plenty of time to pass. With our good secondary, giving a QB a lot of time didn't hurt us, but with better WR's, you give a good QB that much time we will get stung. The OL was the opposite, they seemed to allow pressure to get to Morgan, not consistently, but enough to warrant concern when you are going against NMSU.

Bottom Line: With so many question marks going in, this was a great start to the season. In 2019 going up against SDSU we didn't leave that game with any confidence in our OL and DL. While this opponent was tired and bad, they did everything you would want to see out of them. However, I am not sure we saw OL or DL play that would warrant us thinking it will be the same or better than last year (but then again we don't need them to be).
I don’t remember the NMST QB having all day in the pocket much at all, and it’s not like we blitzed much. I don’t recall Morgan being sacked ever, they got a few pressures, but the pocket was typically clean. I think I saw enough to say the lines are just as good, but you certainly can’t say you saw anything to suggest the lines are worse this year. NMST was overmatched, but so was Bowling Green last year.

I don’t remember the NMST QB having all day in the pocket much at all, and it’s not like we blitzed much. I don’t recall Morgan being sacked ever, they got a few pressures, but the pocket was typically clean. I think I saw enough to say the lines are just as good, but you certainly can’t say you saw anything to suggest the lines are worse this year. NMST was overmatched, but so was Bowling Green last year.
Bowling Green was overmatched on paper. They were not overmatched on the field.

Burns said he thinks Bowling Green last year would beat NMSU by 3 touchdowns

Bowling Green was overmatched on paper. They were not overmatched on the field.

Burns said he thinks Bowling Green last year would beat NMSU by 3 touchdowns
I doubt it considering they didn’t beat anyone by three TDs last year, including Murray State.

The O line looked great, D line looked pretty good, but personally I'm not going to draw many conclusions from this game. NMSU is awful.

The QB had way too much time to throw on the PI play. Only 1 play so not the end of the world but against such a bad team it would have been nice to not see that at all.

You keep on defending NMSU! Enjoy Friday my man.
I haven’t defended them at all. I am saying Bowling Green was bad too. My point was the lines looked good vs a bad team in week one. Last year vs Bowling Green the lines looked bad vs a bad team, or at least the O-line did, although I’m sure the Sanford play calling did them no favors.

That's not how I remember it. Almost all of their passes (except for quick fades) they moved the pocket to avoid the rush. I thought our DL was kind of kicking their ass and we didn't blitz much as far as I can recall.

As for the thoughts about the game, yes, NMSU stinks and so we can't read much into it. But that's only true because we steamrolled them. If we had struggled, we would have been able to read a bit into it.

We crushed a bad team like we should and I got to watch the Gophers play football.

That's not how I remember it. Almost all of their passes (except for quick fades) they moved the pocket to avoid the rush. I thought our DL was kind of kicking their ass and we didn't blitz much as far as I can recall.

As for the thoughts about the game, yes, NMSU stinks and so we can't read much into it. But that's only true because we steamrolled them. If we had struggled, we would have been able to read a bit into it.

We crushed a bad team like we should and I got to watch the Gophers play football.
Yeah I don't think we blitzed at all and in most 3rd and long situations we only rushed 3.

Yes it was nice that we dominated in a yeoman type fashion. Maybe "Taking Care of Business" is a secondary theme song for the season.

No, that’s next week’s opponent Western Illinois who got blown out by Tennessee-Martin.
Good point. Although some of those Southern teams are loaded with athletes. With that said, I am suspected that Western Illinois will be dominated in the trenches.

On offense, the Gophers scored pretty much every possession, except when running out the clock at the end.

On defense, they gave up basically nothing. They stonewalled the Aggies.

Impressive, no matter who the opponent was.

17 lost contain a couple of times that’s fixable. We didn’t have any pressure in the first half I would guess Rossi got after them and boom Rush with a sack and we harasses the QB regularly after that. D is fun to watch, and how about our kickoff guy what a weapon he put one into the band pit. 5 worries me he seemed disengaged on the sideline if we are counting on him to be a consistent big play guy that could be problematic. Our new receivers 0 and I think 1
are both little they got quite a bit of run but no catches if I recall. We will have to see how they progress because Jackson obviously was still in shorts. Geary in year seven his back but he’s not gonna be competitive against higher quality teams and our wide receiver depth could be an issue.

Top Bottom