DJ on Turner

dingo

Reaction score
Is there a reason that Damian didnt get a chance to guard Turner? When we played him at Williams Turner was mainly guarded by Nolen but Damian also got some time when Nolen wasnt in the game.

Turner had his way with Joseph/Westbrook/Cobbs, thus forcing the rest of the team to help and pay attention to him more than normal. This created lots of open looks for the rest of the Buckeyes. Besides maybe Cobbs, I dont think Joseph and Westbrook have the mindset to lock down an opposing player, they think offense first.

It seemed like Turner could just shoot over our guards at will. And I would of loved to see what Damians length and defensive mindset would of done.

The only negative I see, is the potential for Damian to get into foul trouble even more quickly than he has in every other game this year.

Hopefully if we play OSU in the Big Ten tourney, Damian get his chance.

I kind of assumed it was because of foul trouble but also because DJ is our de facto power forward so having one of the guards cover their PF would create an even worse mismatch than Joseph on Turner. I think it all comes back to Nolen not playing though. Right now we have one good perimeter defender in the starting lineup and as I said earlier he is playing the 4. Hoffarber is a smart defender but just not athletic enough to be a shutdown guy. Joseph doesn't really seem to care on the defensive end. Westbrook is in a similar boat although he starts caring when the trash-talking begins and then really seems to zone in on picking up meaningless fouls at halfcourt.

I would've liked to have seen this more often during the game. But I gotta think it would've caused additional problems regarding the rest of the lineup. I don't know. Right now I'm having a hard time trying to get past the lack of motivation of this team.

Top Bottom