Division I transfers for all sports get blanket waiver from NCAA, can play immediately - ESPN

Time will tell. I guess for every star player a team like Gopher softball loses you have to hope they can pilfer some team below them of their star players to offset the loss. I think teams like Gopher hockey and volleyball will benefit but not sure where football falls in that.

Yeah, I could certainly be wrong. We'll see how it plays out. I think it'll really hurt the mid-major programs, hopefully for our benefit.

It would seem like we can find room for transfers to step in and make us better on defense.
I think the one we have will help at linebacker. The right fits on offense would be helpful too.
We are not so stacked to ignore this avenue and we have been pretty active each year in the past prior to the rule change.
The right pieces, time to practice and we can dramatically improve again.
Schedule is tough to start though with Ohio State Game 1 and at Colorado game 3.

This could get ugly, fast.

Does this only apply to people already in the portal?

Cause I don't like the idea of seeing some of my favorite Gophers playing for SEC teams next year. Say....
Faalele
Dunlap
Schmitz
Ersery

Fleck's investment in making 3* players into stud's could just go *poof*!

That would suck big time.

I seriously don't want to see Tanner Morgan playing for Nick Saban.

Cause I don't like the idea of seeing some of my favorite Gophers playing for SEC teams next year. Say....
Faalele
Dunlap
Schmitz
Ersery

Yeah, not really. The biggest losers from this are the 2022 hs grads and G5. (1) Alabama can still only play 11 men on the field, (2) Alabama is not pining over Morgan and Faalele, (3) you're just not going to see a lot of P5 teams losing transfers for "bigger program" reasons.

If a P5 player does transfer to a perennial power, the program must be willing to roll with that power transfer for 1-2 years tops. Which means that a shiny 4/5 star new recruit just became available. There is only so much room.

Faalele
Dunlap
Schmitz
Ersery

If you're likely to be a starter for us next year, you've already made it. You're starting, in the Big Ten, on a good program that's on the rise.

Why risk going somewhere else where you're not guaranteed to start? What's the upside?

Think we're focusing too much and what's happened before. Grad transfers. Kids who have played elsewhere but want to go to a winner in that last year. They'll be some of that. Plus the kid who's been good at a D2, D3 or on a bad D1 school player and might want to move up.

IMO what's gonna happen more often? The H.S. Star athlete who had a lot of offers but isn't playing, is the type who will transfer. That's gonna happen more often at the big name schools. They are the ones that sign a bunch of 4 & 5 star players. Kids that could play all over the country, but can't get on the field at ALA, FL, tOSU etc.

Coaches hate anything they can't control and want as much depth as they can get. Heck, if they were honest they'd admit they want a 2-deep of Juniors and Seniors.

Players who know/think they can play elsewhere don't want to just hold tackling dummies and clipboards.

The ones who are more likely to transfer, in my worthless opinion, are the ones who aren't getting the playing time they think (or their Dads thinks) they should be getting.

So we could lose some backups. But that just gives us a faster path to playing time for younger guys. If anything, it might help us weed out guys who aren't going to contribute here, sooner.

The ones who are more likely to transfer, in my worthless opinion, are the ones who aren't getting the playing time they think (or their Dads thinks) they should be getting.

Setting aside walk-ons, guarantee that during the recruiting process, at nearly all schools their recruiter also told them that they were gonna play. ;)

I could see Dunlap jumping to a SEC team. We could also pull someone as a transfer you never know.

Good point. Daniel Faalele too.Though since they didn't play a down this year they may have been able to transfer anyway. Their recruiter Zack Annexstad hasn't made the field at all has he? That can't help in keeping them here..

Setting aside walk-ons, guarantee that during the recruiting process, at nearly all schools their recruiter also told them that they were gonna play. ;)
Sure, of course. But I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about: I would assume most high 3* or even 4* guys, with a good number of P5 offers, and chose to come here, think they should be getting meaningful game reps at some point in their second year here, maybe third year if not starting by then.

That's the confidence you want them to have, anyway. But they can't all do that, logistically with 85 scholly guys on the team.

Which is why I was hypothesizing that more churn/turn-over down the depth chart might actually be beneficial, in a sense.

Same. The language does not indicate that you can transfer to a final 4 team the day before the event ! They are saying it is immediate for those that have transferred. Otherwise the poor will get really poor and the rich will get really rich.
That's what I was hoping was the case. That there are some number of players who transferred before this season started, who haven't yet received their waiver and so haven't been able to play yet. Now they can.

Not like a player was playing for a school two weeks ago, transferred last week, and wants to be eligible this week.

That's why when we were down big vs. Iowa and up big vs. Illinois we should have been playing our back ups to get them some game experience. If we continue to only play starters, no back up is going to want to sit and wait their turn before they even get to see the field.

Top Bottom