Division I transfers for all sports get blanket waiver from NCAA, can play immediately - ESPN

Iceland12

Reaction score
The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to grant a blanket waiver allowing all Division I transfers to play immediately this year.

The waiver covers all Division I sports, and the most immediate impact will be felt in men's college basketball, in which a number of notable players will be able to suit up immediately -- as soon as Wednesday night.

"We are thrilled at the passing of the blanket waiver, as we believe it is in line with D1 SAAC, ensuring that all of our student-athletes have the best opportunity to thrive both academically and athletically," said Caroline Lee, vice chair of the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. "In a time of great uncertainty amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, we feel it is in our best interest to grant immediate eligibility for those who have transferred in order to best support their mental health and well-being."

The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to grant a blanket waiver allowing all Division I transfers to play immediately this year.

The waiver covers all Division I sports, and the most immediate impact will be felt in men's college basketball, in which a number of notable players will be able to suit up immediately -- as soon as Wednesday night.

"We are thrilled at the passing of the blanket waiver, as we believe it is in line with D1 SAAC, ensuring that all of our student-athletes have the best opportunity to thrive both academically and athletically," said Caroline Lee, vice chair of the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. "In a time of great uncertainty amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, we feel it is in our best interest to grant immediate eligibility for those who have transferred in order to best support their mental health and well-being."

So does this literally mean someone on a basketball team could leave that team now, enroll in a new school for January classes, and play whenever the first day of classes happens? If so, this could get interesting really fast...

The last sentence in the article is... “If your son is in high school and he has a 2022 scholarship offer, he should commit right now.”

With all the changes, 2022 is really going to be a messed up year for 'cruits to find a home. If I were a '21 cruit with an offer, I would have grabbed it. Folks that passed on signing until later, may have just missed the boat.

per ESPN:

Go Gophers!!

So, how many Christmas break transfers are there going to be for the new semester in basketball and football? Chaos or not many? Gophers and across the NCCA?
Seems pretty wacky?

Whoa. So the Abilene Christian LB could play in the bowl game? Not that it would happen, but that's wild. Or somebody could transfer from LSU to Alabama and play in the CFP on Jan 1? Something weird like that is going to happen.

I know a lot of traditionalists won’t like this...but if you’re a biology major you don’t have to sit a year before you can do biology at your new schools.
If you’re in a choir you don’t have to sit a year. Etc

MSHSL should be next

One note on Arizona QB Grant Gunnell entering the transfer portal, per a source: Arizona has indicated it won't grant his release if he picks a Pac-12 school or any school they're scheduled to play in 2021-2023.

So apparently there can be restrictions on players if you transfer within.

I know a lot of traditionalists won’t like this...but if you’re a biology major you don’t have to sit a year before you can do biology at your new schools.

MSHSL should be next
Rich will get richer, poor will get poorer. Didn't Gopher softball lose a great player due to the more liberal transfer rules for softball?

Rich will get richer, poor will get poorer. Didn't Gopher softball lose a great player due to the more liberal transfer rules for softball?
Why shouldn’t kids be able to play where they want to play?
To protect programs who don’t help their athletes reach their goals?

MSHSL should be next
The limit should be this (even though it probably still holds within your non-sports analogies): you shouldn't be allowed to play for multiple college teams within the same season.

That's where I draw a line for college.

I hope that the OP is referencing the idea that some guys have transferred to school B, and haven't been allowed to play for that school yet. Not that they have already played for school A this year and then left early in the year. That's fine, but they shouldn't get to play for B this season, then.

When NBA players started finding ways to dictate where they play and club programs at the youth levels continue to grow this was all sure to happen. I really don't have a problem with it. Coaches are paid enough to figure it out and produce within the rules made for all.

I tend to agree for the same at the MSHSL level. The checks and balances are school boards and room for open enrollment. If kids/families want to transfer and the school is willing and able to take the kid, then let it happen. I love community pride, but in the metro boundaries blurry those communities.

Woo-ha! This is going to be a giant musical chair. Athletes considering entering the Transfer Portal: Beware that when the music stops, you may be left hanging without a place to go.

Last edited:

I don't have a huge issue with transfers, although it does reinforce the notion of having a handful of "major league" teams at the top and a lower tier of teams being a "minor league" proving ground for late bloomers. Not a fan of that.

My issue is the timing of a transfer. In my opinion, transfers shouldn't be allowed after the major recruiting period ends leading into that season. When a student athlete is allowed to transfer right before the season, it can leave a massive hole in the lineup that can't be filled with a new recruit. "Word" mentioned the softball player above (Lindaman). She left the Gophers to Florida literally 3 weeks before practice started. It left a massive hole at catcher that couldn't be filled with a new recruit. Can you imagine if that happened with a QB leaving in late July, or a point guard transferring in October? Sucky.

When NBA players started finding ways to dictate where they play and club programs at the youth levels continue to grow this was all sure to happen. I really don't have a problem with it. Coaches are paid enough to figure it out and produce within the rules made for all.

I tend to agree for the same at the MSHSL level. The checks and balances are school boards and room for open enrollment. If kids/families want to transfer and the school is willing and able to take the kid, then let it happen. I love community pride, but in the metro boundaries blurry those communities.
Same for the MSHSL: you shouldn't be allowed to play for two different schools in the same season. Again, I draw the line there.

One note on Arizona QB Grant Gunnell entering the transfer portal, per a source: Arizona has indicated it won't grant his release if he picks a Pac-12 school or any school they're scheduled to play in 2021-2023.

So apparently there can be restrictions on players if you transfer within.

They must be worried that he will give up Kevin Sumlin's playbook to their foes and give them a schematic advantage against the new regime

Why shouldn’t kids be able to play where they want to play?
To protect programs who don’t help their athletes reach their goals?
I guess we need to decide if we are ok with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. I think people like the NFL because they do a great job of keeping competitive balance. Maybe not good for the individual but good for the whole.

I guess we need to decide if we are ok with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. I think people like the NFL because they do a great job of keeping competitive balance. Maybe not good for the individual but good for the whole.
I hate the NFL. Super boring to watch. There isn’t really that much competitive balance from year to year.

The NFL also is a horrible comparison. Those are employees. These are student athletes (allegedly)

Same for the MSHSL: you shouldn't be allowed to play for two different schools in the same season. Again, I draw the line there.
Same. The language does not indicate that you can transfer to a final 4 team the day before the event ! They are saying it is immediate for those that have transferred. Otherwise the poor will get really poor and the rich will get really rich.

I hate the NFL. Super boring to watch. There isn’t really that much competitive balance from year to year.

The NFL also is a horrible comparison. Those are employees. These are student athletes (allegedly)
I don't like a lot of high school or club sports because of competitive imbalance....so... Guess it just depends what you like.

I don't know if that's necessarily the case. This is similar to the grad transfer rule and I think this has worked more to spread talent than consolidate. It was more likely the #3 NT at Alabama went to Indiana than the #1 WR at Indiana transferred to Alabama. It seems like the #1 factor in these decisions has been PT.

I don't know if that's necessarily the case. This is similar to the grad transfer rule and I think this has worked more to spread talent than consolidate. It was more likely the #3 NT at Alabama went to Indiana than the #1 WR at Indiana transferred to Alabama. It seems like the #1 factor in these decisions has been PT.
Time will tell. I guess for every star player a team like Gopher softball loses you have to hope they can pilfer some team below them of their star players to offset the loss. I think teams like Gopher hockey and volleyball will benefit but not sure where football falls in that.

I don't like a lot of high school or club sports because of competitive imbalance....so... Guess it just depends what you like.
I am going to go ahead and guess that competitive imbalance is not actually in the top reasons you don’t watch high school sports.

probably the low quality of play
The fact that a lot of it happens on Friday nights
The unfamiliarity with anyone on the team
The high price of entry (when compared with the low quality of play)

I would guess all those are higher than “lack of competitive balance”

you aren’t going to watch to a cooper vs Armstrong football game because of lack of competitive play but you’re going to watch Baltimore Jacksonville this weekend? Okay

I am going to go ahead and guess that competitive imbalance is not actually in the top reasons you don’t watch high school sports.

probably the low quality of play
The fact that a lot of it happens on Friday nights
The unfamiliarity with anyone on the team
The high price of entry (when compared with the low quality of play)

I would guess all those are higher than “lack of competitive balance”

you aren’t going to watch to a cooper vs Armstrong football game because of lack of competitive play but you’re going to watch Baltimore Jacksonville this weekend? Okay
I'm actually quite familiar with a lot of local teams from being a parent and coach in the community. I have gone to games because I know the families, not due to the sports being fun to watch. Most high school games I go to the outcome of the game is known before it starts (it seems).

I wouldn't watch either of the games you mentioned.

I'm actually quite familiar with a lot of local teams from being a parent and coach in the community. I have gone to games because I know the families, not due to the sports being fun to watch. Most high school games I go to the outcome of the game is known before it starts (it seems).

I wouldn't watch either of the games you mentioned.
Most of the results can be predicted with 75% accuracy in the nfl and college too.
Let’s not pretend that we couldn’t have predicted 10 of the 14 playoff teams before the season started and 2-3 of the 4 playoff teams in college

Most of the results can be predicted with 75% accuracy in the nfl and college too.
Let’s not pretend that we couldn’t have predicted 10 of the 14 playoff teams before the season started and 2-3 of the 4 playoff teams in college
I agree about college football. Hopefully the transfer rule doesn't just benefit the helmet schools. It would make things even more predictable. I wish OSU wasn't the guaranteed big ten champion every year either.

Top Bottom