Division choice by school

McGopherFan

Reaction score
How about they start the division structure talks with each school selecting the division they want to play in?

The team in the league the longest picks first followed by the second most senior. Criteria for breaking ties could be conference sports offered, conference titles in all sports, overall standings in the Directors Cup etc.

The naming and designation of the divisions should not come until they are soldified, which would probably not occur until several permentations have been considered anyway.

Assuming the Order would follow chonologically and alphabetically (Not likely to occur based on other criteria.) Illinois, Mich, Minn, NwU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, tOSU, MSU, PSU and Nebraska.

Illinois would chose to start a division. Michigan would either join with Illinois, or they could be the first team in the new division. Minnesota's choice options are dependent on what Michigan actually did. The suceeding schools would chose from the options present them. Once a division reached 6, the remaining schools would balance the other division.

Just a thought.

Awesome

I love this idea, in theory, and in reverse.

Plus, I think it could do huge TV ratings if they set it up almost like a NBA or NFL lottery type deal.

Let Nebraska go first--- then carry on through. My only problem is--- do you cap the divisions at 6 teams? Then you could run into some major problems.

The more its tweeked the better it is

The cap would be equal to half (or as close to that as possible if the conference should have an odd number at some point). That I would leave to the conference, are they willing or able to tollerate imbalance between the divisions.

With the distance determining the first selection, it might be best to go with the highest average distance overall and then the second choice going to the highest average distance from the other extreme. As of today that would be Nebraska and Penn State making the first selections.

I would be surprised if that resulted in anything other than an East/West division.

It would become complicated, but what if the more senior school could whenever it selected bump one of the other school to the other division?

I love this idea, in theory, and in reverse.

Plus, I think it could do huge TV ratings if they set it up almost like a NBA or NFL lottery type deal.

Let Nebraska go first--- then carry on through. My only problem is--- do you cap the divisions at 6 teams? Then you could run into some major problems.

Top Bottom