Disillusionment

This has nothing to do with "computers" or "the past" it has to do with observing the current team. It was a slightly below average B1G team, not a Sweet 16 team. Yes, I believe Christie will (or would have) done more in year 2 and perhaps Payne. The rest of the team pretty much is what it is. It's also not unheard of for some people who seemed to play above expectations like Hawkins, to regress. Asuma would have been the only significant addition if everyone came back. Adding one freshman and progress from a couple guys doesn't rocket you from 10th place in the B1G to a top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament. It just doesn't.
You DO focus only on computers and the past. We wouldn't need to rocket from a 10th place B1G team to a top-4 NCAA seed...by only adding 1 freshman and having progress from a couple guys.

That's not how it works. You don't have a good understanding of how college basketball works.

Nothing is for sure. But it was likely that we'd have been a strong contender for the Sweet-16.

This is why I brought up Moneyball. Teams without the biggest payroll can compete if they have a plan and execute it. It's still better to be the big payroll team, but there are lots of examples of teams punching above their weight in all sports.
But Moneyball doesn't work with a team of all new players every year.

You're delusional, not me. I don't obsess over computers or the past.

We were about a .500 B1G team...but with NO SENIORS...which hardly ever happens for us. Garcia was great already. Christie has huge potential. Hawkins was record-setting in his 1st year of P5 play. Payne is a good big-man, finally going to be an upperclassman. Mitchell Jr. led the team in scoring a few times in his 1st year of P5 play.

I know potential when I see it

A Big Ten that was weak...but dont let context play into your delusions.

You DO focus only on computers and the past. We wouldn't need to rocket from a 10th place B1G team to a top-4 NCAA seed...by only adding 1 freshman and having progress from a couple guys.

That's not how it works. You don't have a good understanding of how college basketball works.

Nothing is for sure. But it was likely that we'd have been a strong contender for the Sweet-16.
You literally spent all last year defending Ben by invoking Clem Haskins. All you do is live in the past. And he hasn't even mentioned a computer...what are you even talking about?

Not to mention, everyone here told you that you can't build teams like that anymore because of how college basketball was set up...and you denied it. But it is us that don't know how college basketball works not you.

Either this is a bit or you really need to re-evaluate your life.

A Big Ten that was weak...but dont let context play into your delusions.
Okay have it your way.

But good luck winning bigger with non-paid players who leave for money as soon as they show potential.

A lot of folks mad at Coyle, well perhaps we should be looking at Kevin Warren. I'm sure he forced Coyle's hand into a DEI hire. Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota and Penn State all made a DEI hire under Kevin Warren in the same time frame. Only one out of 4 has had some success

A lot of folks mad at Coyle, well perhaps we should be looking at Kevin Warren. I'm sure he forced Coyle's hand into a DEI hire. Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota and Penn State all made a DEI hire under Kevin Warren in the same time frame. Only one out of 4 has had some success
What is the basis for calling all four of those "DEI" hires?

You literally spent all last year defending Ben by invoking Clem Haskins. All you do is live in the past. And he hasn't even mentioned a computer...what are you even talking about?

Not to mention, everyone here told you that you can't build teams like that anymore because of how college basketball was set up...and you denied it. But it is us that don't know how college basketball works not you.

Either this is a bit or you really need to re-evaluate your life.
It was the ONLY chance to win big here. But yes, our administration proved that they won't keep the team now.

Finding cheap diamonds-in-the-rough for 1 year only...that leave for money as soon as they're good...will NEVER work. And it's extremely stupid to think it will work with another coach. And I mean extremely stupid.

It was the ONLY chance to win big here. But yes, our administration proved that they won't keep the team now.

Finding cheap diamonds-in-the-rough for 1 year only...that leave for money as soon as they're good...will NEVER work. And it's extremely stupid to think it will work with another coach. And I mean extremely stupid.
Is it the admins fault MN does not have enough NIL funds?

Is it the admins fault MN does not have enough NIL funds?
They have the funds. It's just that they don't want to pay the players.

In this case...I can't actually blame them. It's such fraud and sleaze. But they've always been against basketball.

They have the funds. It's just that they don't want to pay the players.

In this case...I can't actually blame them. It's such fraud and sleaze. But they've always been against basketball.
NIL collectives are paying the athletes. The schools cannot pay them directly (yet). I believe the most effective way to end this insanity is make the athletes employees, pay them directly, implement contracts and set a salary cap. It has got to get out of this shadow network and cottage industry that has cropped up around it. It is simply not sustainable in its current configuration.

NIL collectives are paying the athletes. The schools cannot pay them directly (yet). I believe the most effective way to end this insanity is make the athletes employees, pay them directly, implement contracts and set a salary cap. It has got to get out of this shadow network and cottage industry that has cropped up around it. It is simply not sustainable in its current configuration.
We're sheep who believe whatever we're told.

At schools like Minnesota...we're told that we're trying our best...but we're just a little bit behind on funding...and we just haven't quite found the right coach yet.

At the big-paying schools...we're told that guys like Payne & Hawkins are very popular in Texas and are going to increase car & furniture sales by tens-of-millions with their advertising.

At the big-paying schools...we're told that guys like Payne & Hawkins are very popular in Texas and are going to increase car & furniture sales by tens-of-millions with their advertising.
WTF are you talking about?

Not one person believes that these crazy figures being tossed around have anything at all to do with advertising or legit NIL ventures. It is pay for play and nobody is even pretending that it isn't.

Not one person believes that these crazy figures being tossed around have anything at all to do with advertising or legit NIL ventures. It is pay for play and nobody is even pretending that it isn't.
Even the teams and NCAA aren't because it is so obvious a dead person could see it.

We're sheep who believe whatever we're told.

At schools like Minnesota...we're told that we're trying our best...but we're just a little bit behind on funding...and we just haven't quite found the right coach yet.

I tried. I failed.

Even the teams and NCAA aren't because it is so obvious a dead person could see it.
Then why do some guys on here keep saying that schools aren't paying the players...and that it's all legitimate legal name-image-and-likeness advertising money ??

Then why do some guys on here keep saying that schools aren't paying the players...and that it's all legitimate legal name-image-and-likeness advertising money ??

Because the schools aren't paying the players. That obviously doesn't mean it's all marketing and advertising though. I'll let you fill in the rest.

Because the schools aren't paying the players. That obviously doesn't mean it's all marketing and advertising though. I'll let you fill in the rest.
Are the big-paying schools' boosters paying the players...at the direction of the schools?

Do we really have to split hairs?

Top Bottom