Disillusionment

I'm alluding to the doom and gloom of this board, not Ben Johnson. It's kids playing a ball game. Have fun with what pieces of progress you can identify and forget about the rest! Life is too short
My only point is that it did get better, but not until the U/AD decided to make it better. Until then, we wait.

By year 3, Brew had "improved" to 6-7. He was 6-18 in the B1G (25% same as Ben) and got fired half way through year 4. Yeah, it's pretty much a mirror.
Do you seriously do nothing but think about Ben 24/7 can’t you just give it a rest either he does something next year or he’s gone. Let it fucking go. We have been horseshit for 25 damn years you think one more season is gonna break us.

You think once Ben assembles the roster there won't be despair ... His job is to improve the roster .. better figure out how
For those of you who are hoop centric, come to the football board and enjoy this week with us. Ain't nothing coming from this board but despair until the roster gets settled

Good lord....the thread wasn't even about Johnson.....some of you are so hell bent on complaining about the coach it is ridiculous.
I will say that this street goes both ways though. You guys could have Johnson poop in your Mom’s soup and then rave about his flavoring.

Either way it gets old.

I will say that this street goes both ways though. You guys could have Johnson poop in your Mom’s soup and then rave about his flavoring.

Either way it gets old.
What a crock.....There are few to any strong supporters of Johnson on this board.....there are just some that choose not to bitch and moan about him constantly since we have no control over his status as head coach of the team.

What a crock.....There are few to any strong supporters of Johnson on this board.....there are just some that choose not to bitch and moan about him constantly since we have no control over his status as head coach of the team.
Yep, he's here til he's not. In the meantime, enjoy the ride when the enjoyable moments happen. Very few people anticipated us having the season we had this year in terms of out competitiveness. I'm excited to see the outright misery on this board that will accompany a tourney berth next year if that happens. Another year of Johnson! Still Alive in 25!

Yep, he's here til he's not. In the meantime, enjoy the ride when the enjoyable moments happen. Very few people anticipated us having the season we had this year in terms of out competitiveness. I'm excited to see the outright misery on this board that will accompany a tourney berth next year if that happens. Another year of Johnson! Still Alive in 25!
The sad part is that we have a faction here that is so negative about anything and everything Gopher basketball that they consider anyone holding onto any hope that it works out for Johnson as being some sort of Ben Apologist who blindly supports him no matter what.

At this point I don't think anyone with any ounce of common sense is responding to the naysayers anymore. So call me a dummy😊
Yeah I'm probably a little immature for engaging with guys on here.

But anyone who puts the blame on Ben seriously ought to have their head examined. Something is wrong with them.

Yeah I'm probably a little immature for engaging with guys on here.

But anyone who puts the blame on Ben seriously ought to have their head examined. Something is wrong with them.
Eh, I'd rather surround myself with exasperated people who still have hope for the future, no matter who is at the helm, and keep their gripes to a minimum while looking forward. We know what we are, this isn't anything new. We've had "home run" hires in the past and they couldn't do much here. It's going to be worse with NIL.

I'm pretty solidly of the opinion that if we hired one of these guys who got hired at the same time as Johnson who are lighting it up at their respective programs, they'd be having the same issues here that Johnson is. Not that Johnson would necessarily be lighting it up if the roles were reversed, but I think there are a lot of administrative barriers created by this university that make it harder to be successful compared to other programs. Just my two cents, if you ask me for examples I'll respond that it's just a hunch.

I like it! The sunny side says we will not lose our coach to another team.

If the data I read is correct, and if it isn’t I am sure someone will correct me, 1900 MB players and 1300 WB players have entered the portal? IF that is correct, or even if it is partially correct any angst over the Gophers losing players is misplaced. Ben Johnson is no more at fault for this than is the mayor of a town hit by a tornado. And as much as I am not a Coyle fan, even he has little means of forcing and or begging corporations to throw bucks at players when the investment does little for their public relations.

It seems an unintended consequence of NIL is that it has produced a system that benefits teams who have a sugar daddy, willing to pour their heart and soul and most importantly their cash into their selected program. This whole thing will need some time to wash itself out. If it doesn’t, then traditional college athletics may be a fond memory. Sadly the unintended consequence of this is that only the big spenders schools and and players will benefit. The others will possibly end up so non competitive that their best players could end up with at best a pittance, and with many of their players not even that.

The objective of NIL was laudatory. The result is currently a disaster!

The objective of NIL was laudatory. The result is currently a disaster!
In the sports not corrupted by money (those sports exist, we just don't talk about them much) NIL has most likely been a great thing for those athletes. They might not be getting big money but at least they are able to get paid if they are in a position to do so.

At the big time level......yep....most predictable thing in the world was that teams/players were going to find a way to exploit the system and turn it into something it was never intended to be.

I haven't posted for a very long time with reason. Both the NIL and the Portal system will destroy college basketball. Only the blue bloods will benefit by these two abhorrent changes made by the NCAA. The blue bloods got that way with all the illegal recruiting practices they perpetuated years and years ago. But it's all about TV ratings and the money that it generates. Unfortunately schools like Minnesota don't stand a chance!!!

Miami basically bought a Final Four two years ago, it was obvious what the future was going to be. Really took off this year though.

Miami basically bought a Final Four two years ago, it was obvious what the future was going to be. Really took off this year though.
Soon enough someone will do a return on investment analysis on how many wins teams are getting for their money. As we know from pro sports not everyone spends it wisely.

Oh you are right. Upon further examination, like most issues one side is crazy and over the top and the other is logical and even-handed. Thanks for catching that.

You have shown a great deal self-awareness in realizing you are part of a small contingent of the fanbase that wants to win. I would give your self one more pat on the back as a reward.

Simple enough solution, you've got some employee/employer relationship issues but why is it any different than graduate assistants being paid to teach classes.

"But the way this is set up right now with no contracts or regulations makes it impossible to sustain anything in this sport.”

You have shown a great deal self-awareness in realizing you are part of a small contingent of the fanbase that wants to win. I would give your self one more pat on the back as a reward.
Says the guy who said Kaliakmanis sucking was the fans' faults🙄🤣

Oh you are right. Upon further examination, like most issues one side is crazy and over the top and the other is logical and even-handed. Thanks for catching that.
Not even close to what I said but whatever.

Just making the point that this mythical Ben Johnson fan club that some of you love to refer to doesn't actually exist.

Not even close to what I said but whatever.

Just making the point that this mythical Ben Johnson fan club that some of you love to refer to doesn't actually exist.
It exists as much as the club that hates him and wants the gophers to lose, but I’ll stick by original thought. People naturally view the other side as nuts while they are sane. It makes people feel better.

Top Bottom