Disappointing Year

My heart goes out to you and your expectations. Guess you are done for the year with my Gophers based upon what you say. So sad, too bad. I see a couple more Big Ten games coming up and then a bowl game.

Just remember, it’s a long time until the 2022 Big Ten Football season rolls around.

I don’t expect you will care much, but I still am hoping to see my favorite team have more exciting football to play this season. But, that’s just my love for Gopher Big Ten football speaking. I sure wouldn’t expect many others on this board to look at the football season the way I do.

Go Gophers…”…and so it goes…” here in Minnesota.
I hear ya and I’d love to see Ws against UW and IND as well as the bowl. Just thought the ceiling shoulda been higher this year.

Morgan is ruined. He looks indecisive at times. He should have run for a TD in that one series where they ended up kicking a field goal. He is playing not to lose.
They're all playing (Morgan, HC and OC) not to LOSE points! They're not aggressively attempting to get as many points as they can! They've done this ALL year. Seems like they get into the Red Zone, certainly within 2 minutes of the half, and it doesn't matter the situation (3rd and long or whatever) they become extraordinarily conservative, like they're happy with 3!?

SO so so frustrating and really infuriating as they had a tremendous chance to take the next step with this program I felt this year! All they've done is taken at LEAST 2 steps back.

Morgan seems to have zero ability to look to a 2nd receiver if the main option is covered. How many times does he panic and tuck the ball and run or get sacked or just flat out throw an awful pass?

Indiana looks like they've packed the season up so they 'should' win next weekend (I really don't think I'll be watching though) but I don't think they have a chance against the Badgers.

I actually feel bad for the players because they gave it their all today. Once again the coaching staff gave the game away (well, the DC coached well today). The coaching staff has lost 3 games this year and they're the ones who should be putting the players in position to win games. This year the players (REALLY hate to say it, but not the QB) are positioning the coaches to win, and their god awful decisions are pushing victories away!

Last edited:

Disappointing year for sure. The defense has played fairly well.

Ibrahim was a brutal killer.

But this passing game is from the stone ages. We need some mobility back there.

And yes, the BG game and Illinois games were bad.

I can't help thinking though how we got some breaks, too. The Nebraska running back tripping over his own two feet going in. The Purdue game we had 12 first downs and Autmann-Bells first TD hit the ground.

This season was blah. No explosion on offense. Boring as shit at home in front of the home fans, save the Nebraska game.

We lose a ton, will be starting over with a who knows qb, and recruiting seems to be in the mediocre range.

It's a program stuck in average land.

at MSU, at Psu, at Wisconsin next year doesn't leave me looking forward to next year either.

Morgan is ruined. He looks indecisive at times. He should have run for a TD in that one series where they ended up kicking a field goal. He is playing not to lose.
Morgan has no confident in his wideouts. Neither do the coaches. Perhaps they shouldn’t

I appreciate his efforts.

Disappointing year for sure. The defense has played fairly well.

Ibrahim was a brutal killer.

But this passing game is from the stone ages. We need some mobility back there.

And yes, the BG game and Illinois games were bad.

I can't help thinking though how we got some breaks, too. The Nebraska running back tripping over his own two feet going in. The Purdue game we had 12 first downs and Autmann-Bells first TD hit the ground.

This season was blah. No explosion on offense. Boring as shit at home in front of the home fans, save the Nebraska game.

We lose a ton, will be starting over with a who knows qb, and recruiting seems to be in the mediocre range.

It's a program stuck in average land.

at MSU, at Psu, at Wisconsin next year doesn't leave me looking forward to next year either.
No questions a disappointing season. 3 of top 4 wideouts have missed time.
top 3 running back outs. As well as the 6th best running back.

2 bad losses I put on the coaches.
2 losses I thought the coaches came to play and we fell a couple of plays short.

Not ready to fire the coaches for the 2 losses that are on them.

if you can’t enjoy the season, it is possible college football isn’t for you.

Sorry but if we are going to compare where we are now to the end of summer camp, where we are now is without Ibrahim, Potts, and Williams while then we arguably had a potential Heisman candidate, plus reliable Nos 2 and 3 in the backfield to support him.

It is remarkable given these losses to injuries just how effective the running game can still be...yesterday is evidence of that once again. Practically no team has run that well on I-O-W-A this season.

We also knew at the end of August that our passing game was not going to be the same. We were banking on CrAB and Tanner to keep it respectable. Obviously that has not unfolded.

Yep, this is a disappointing year with solid reasons to be disappointed. There are however limits to what can be accomplished within remaining personnel, schemes, and yes within a team's "culture."

I believe that if Mo had not gone down this would have indeed been a "special" year. Unfortunately that experiment was not able to be run. Still have two games left. Some salve is available for this wound starting with Indiana. As I've noted before, this team is particularly fragile. Coach and his assistants have a big job in front of them.

2 losses I thought the coaches came to play and we fell a couple of plays short.

I hear what your saying but top 3 out? I would say Ky is probably 2nd best with the way he’s playing. Receivers being out I get but there is plenty of talent at that spot to get competent play. What they need is competent QB play and scheming. No way for PJ as he’s still a relatively young coach and I think he will figure it out. Fire OC absolutely…like after the Illinois game.

Sorry but if we are going to compare where we are now to the end of summer camp, where we are now is without Ibrahim, Potts, and Williams while then we arguably had a potential Heisman candidate, plus reliable Nos 2 and 3 in the backfield to support him.

It is remarkable given these losses to injuries just how effective the running game can still be...yesterday is evidence of that once again. Practically no team has run that well on I-O-W-A this season.

We also knew at the end of August that our passing game was not going to be the same. We were banking on CrAB and Tanner to keep it respectable. Obviously that has not unfolded.

Yep, this is a disappointing year with solid reasons to be disappointed. There are however limits to what can be accomplished within remaining personnel, schemes, and yes within a team's "culture."

I believe that if Mo had not gone down this would have indeed been a "special" year. Unfortunately that experiment was not able to be run. Still have two games left. Some salve is available for this wound starting with Indiana. As I've noted before, this team is particularly fragile. Coach and his assistants have a big job in front of them.
Having an Oline that is older than the Vikings still playing college you should be able to run the ball. Shouldn’t matter who the running back is there will be holes to run behind. Of course a better running back will hit them more consistently and for bigger plays.

To consider disappointment, one must have expectations. For a program in a tough conference, a losing tradition over the lives of today's recruits, and fan and media indifference, I don't expect double-digit wins every year.

To consider disappointment, one must have expectations. For a program in a tough conference, a losing tradition over the lives of today's recruits, and fan and media indifference, I don't expect double-digit wins every year.
Have to change our best and find a new OC. This was the year to take down an Iowa, we are upperclass laden and they have struggled.

I'm never falling for the "we have a special team" hype again. Even the BTN scouts were pumping this season up.
BTN pumps up every team preseason.
It's their job.

According to certain fans and posters, when Mason, Kill or Claeys was the coach, "8 wins and a bowl game" wasn't good enough - that we were "settling for mediocrity."

Fleck was supposed to be different - make a difference.

yes, there was an 11-2 season. I haven't forgotten. but by any reasonable standard, the Gophers did not build on that season - they have gone backwards.

I think you might be nuts.

I really agree that 2 losses should primarily be pinned on the coaches and two on the players just not making enough plays. In both the OSU and Iowa games you can point to a couple sequences the coaches screwed up, but there were WAY more instances of players just not getting it done in clutch spots. In the BGSU and Illinois games it was the players screweing up here and there but for the most part just not being put in good spots.

Bottom line, I'm SUPER disappointed in this season. I'm not angry or upset like some here because I realize CFB is supposed to be fun and for entertainment purposes. I was ready to get caught up in another magical season (which makes everyone associated with the program feel awesome), but it didn't happen. I'll of course watch the last three games, but I think it's OK to be sad and disappointed about what could've been.

Top Bottom