Disappointing Year

skiumah1

Reaction score
Taking a step back after the loss today, it really has been a disappointing year with the expectations for this years team and what I thought Fleck would bring to the U in year 5.

With another L to IA, to go with home losses to BGSU and Illini. Those 2 home losses are ridiculous for this team.

I still like Fleck but the data is concerning.

An OC change might solve a lot of this, as I think if you get more rhythm and competence at that position, we’re talking 9-1 at this point instead of 6-4.

But here we are at 6-4 with really no good wins. Bad losses more of the summary this year.

A win against UW would be a consolation prize but this is really a year we should have won the west.

My optimism will be high once again going into next year with an OC change and with the other staff we have in place. I still think that’s warranted optimism.

Go Gophs

Morgan is ruined. He looks indecisive at times. He should have run for a TD in that one series where they ended up kicking a field goal. He is playing not to lose.

I'm never falling for the "we have a special team" hype again. Even the BTN scouts were pumping this season up.

Agree. We’re a competent OC away from 9-1. Lots of people say that TJ and Bateman made Morgan look good two years ago. At the same time, Morgan was throwing dimes to those two that he’s not doing this and last year. Difference? OC/QB coach.

Agree. We’re a competent OC away from 9-1. Lots of people say that TJ and Bateman made Morgan look good two years ago. At the same time, Morgan was throwing dimes to those two that he’s not doing this and last year. Difference? OC/QB coach.
I am in total agreement and have been saying the same thing. Case in point was 3rd and 9 and Autman-Bell is WIDE OPEN. Morgan throws over his head they have to punt and about 30 seconds later Iowa scores a long TD. This would have never happened if the Gophers still had the ball!!

Morgan is ruined. He looks indecisive at times. He should have run for a TD in that one series where they ended up kicking a field goal. He is playing not to lose.
I still don't understand how Morgan didn't see he could have run the ball on that play, it was so open for him to run there. This is the truest sign of signs that he Morgan is indecisive, shell shocked and panicking way to much. Morgan's play is hurting tge team at this point.

Passing game just turned into a complete liability. Destroyed the season.
yep. would like to see a new OC come in this offseason with a more balanced approach, and maybe hit the portal for some WRs. It's not just one guy or just the players or just the coaches so it will take an overhaul on a few fronts.

Fleck claimed in August that this was his most talented team since arriving.

I can't wait to see the results when he says "We might struggle this season".

He's not a great HC, obviously, but he'd make a great sidekick to Mike Lindell.

This loss is on Morgan, Sanford Jr, and Fleck.

Why is PJ Fleck too stubborn to see what the current dynamics are doing to the team? The inconsistency of play and the ineptitude of coaching is mind-boggling.

If you want to be a champion, play like a champion. It is time to pull the plug on a couple.

Fleck doesn’t want Morgan to suffer humiliation of a benching. I get it. I didn’t want that either. But what we are experiencing is worse for everyone.
Benching TM now would be an admission that what the fans were screaming for was warranted.

Fleck is too proud to admit he made a mistake.

Expect a win next week against a truly, horrible Indiana team. Following that will be another humiliating loss to a border rival.

Then... we get to play some shit team in Detroit or NYC in a bowl game on a Wednesday in the middle of December that no one will attend except parents and no won will watch unless there's reruns of The Simpsons as the only other option.

Found myself frustrated watching and - for whatever reason - thought about Tanner Morgan and the fact that he’s STILL one of my favorite kids to ever wear the maroon and gold. He’s regressed and I am still a fan of him. I still think we will be a 7 win team heading to Wisconsin game with a shot at 8 wins. Given the uncertainties week to week - we (Gophers) have done ok. We are consistently - inconsistent and it’s frustrating as heck. Bottom line - get to somewhat of a fun Bowl Game and make the most of what’s left of a disappointing year.

I remember talking with a buddy who's really plugged in to the program back in late July. He told me that Fleck was super high on this year's team (before Fleck ever commented publicly) and we both agreed that they needed to win the West under the premise "if not now, when?" Is the "when", never? Was 2019 the perfect storm they needed and couldn't get the job done?

Taking a step back after the loss today, it really has been a disappointing year with the expectations for this years team and what I thought Fleck would bring to the U in year 5.

With another L to IA, to go with home losses to BGSU and Illini. Those 2 home losses are ridiculous for this team.

I still like Fleck but the data is concerning.

An OC change might solve a lot of this, as I think if you get more rhythm and competence at that position, we’re talking 9-1 at this point instead of 6-4.

But here we are at 6-4 with really no good wins. Bad losses more of the summary this year.

A win against UW would be a consolation prize but this is really a year we should have won the west.

My optimism will be high once again going into next year with an OC change and with the other staff we have in place. I still think that’s warranted optimism.

Go Gophs
My heart goes out to you and your expectations. Guess you are done for the year with my Gophers based upon what you say. So sad, too bad. I see a couple more Big Ten games coming up and then a bowl game.

Just remember, it’s a long time until the 2022 Big Ten Football season rolls around.

I don’t expect you will care much, but I still am hoping to see my favorite team have more exciting football to play this season. But, that’s just my love for Gopher Big Ten football speaking. I sure wouldn’t expect many others on this board to look at the football season the way I do.

Go Gophers…”…and so it goes…” here in Minnesota.

Benching TM now would be an admission that what the fans were screaming for was warranted.

Fleck is too proud to admit he made a mistake.

Expect a win next week against a truly, horrible Indiana team. Following that will be another humiliating loss to a border rival.

Then... we get to play some shit team in Detroit or NYC in a bowl game on a Wednesday in the middle of December that no one will attend except parents and no won will watch unless there's reruns of The Simpsons as the only other option.
This is not about Tanner Morgan, humiliation, or pride.

Tanner is one of the best QBs to don a Gopher uniform. He is an ambassador to the program.

This is about the Gopher Enterprise and the future of Gopher Football. I am sure that he wants what is best for the program too.

I remember talking with a buddy who's really plugged in to the program back in late July. He told me that Fleck was super high on this year's team (before Fleck ever commented publicly) and we both agreed that they needed to win the West under the premise "if not now, when?" Is the "when", never? Was 2019 the perfect storm they needed and couldn't get the job done?

We were really set up for a special run and it's just been a turd.

Despite the injuries to our running backs and receivers, we really pissed away the Bowling Green, Iowa, and Illinois games.

Talent wise - even despite injuries - we should be a 1 loss team right now. That's how well this year lined up for us. When it's over, we'll be likely finish 3rd/4th in the West.

We sh!t the bed.

This is not about Tanner Morgan, humiliation, or pride.

Tanner is one of the best QBs to don a Gopher uniform. He is an ambassador to the program.

This is about the Gopher Enterprise and the future of Gopher Football. I am sure that he wants what is best for the program too.
Yep. Tanner is one of the best to play here. He has a bright future and would definitely be able to overcome a benching.

He is really playing his ass off, but he's just off. His timing is even off. He's starting to get happy feet. He is missing open receivers. It's not good right now.

We need to get the 2019 Gophers Team that pummeled Auburn in the Outback Bowl. That team had swagger and a killer instinct. The Offense was unstoppable.

This Sanford Jr. Offense is dead on the water.

PJ Fleck is learning some hard lessons. If you want to be like Iowa or Wisconsin, you have to play like them and manage your coaches and players like them.

There is no time to play paddy-cake or sit on your laurels. It is what have this team done lately.

We were really set up for a special run and it's just been a turd.

Despite the injuries to our running backs and receivers, we really pissed away the Bowling Green, Iowa, and Illinois games.

Talent wise - even despite injuries - we should be a 1 loss team right now. That's how well this year lined up for us. When it's over, we'll be likely finish 3rd/4th in the West.

We sh!t the bed.
The most experienced team in the B1G in the weakest division. That's not opinion, that's fact.

And I still question the claim that this team has so much talent. Experience and talent aren't the same thing.

We need to get the 2019 Gophers Team that pummeled Auburn in the Outback Bowl. That team had swagger and a killer instinct. The Offense was unstoppable.

This Sanford Jr. Offense is dead on the water.

PJ Fleck is learning some hard lessons. If you want to be like Iowa or Wisconsin, you have to play like them and manage your coaches and players like them.

There is no time to play paddy-cake or sit on your laurels. It is what have this team done lately.
PJ is learning some hard lessons? He hasn’t learned a thing. He keeps making the same mistakes.

WI and Iowa play to win. We play to keep it close. Iowa returns kickoffs, they are aggressive. We are coached to let punts hit the ground and roll, we are afraid of a muffed punt.

WI goes for it on 4th and 2. We punt it on 4th and 2, from our opponents 37. Or we kick a FG from the 2 when we have a chance to take a lead for the first time in 4 effing games.

The mindset of being afraid to make a mistake affects the entire team and is coached.

Very disappointing. It's one thing to lose because your team is worse. It's a completely different animal when you look back at the losses and say.....the biggest issue was the coaching. The coaching lost us these games.

Very disappointing. It's one thing to lose because your team is worse. It's a completely different animal when you look back at the losses and say.....the biggest issue was the coaching. The coaching lost us these games.
Careful. With that view, you'll be labeled a troll.

Extremely disappointing season, especially considering we'll take a step back next year. It's likely we'll have an OL composed mostly of guys who haven't played. The same is likely at QB. We may struggle to be bowl eligible.

I can live with that if the payoff is that we make the most of a senior-laden team. We didn't. Some people have said, "7 or 8 wins in a down year isn't bad." But next year will be the down year. This was the year coaches were targeting and they blew it. Total failure.

The only thing that will help ease the pain of this loss today is for them to win the last 2 games, get to a decent bowl and finish strong with a win. I have to admit I had high expectations for this team and that's why these games we give away are so brutal.

According to certain fans and posters, when Mason, Kill or Claeys was the coach, "8 wins and a bowl game" wasn't good enough - that we were "settling for mediocrity."

Fleck was supposed to be different - make a difference.

yes, there was an 11-2 season. I haven't forgotten. but by any reasonable standard, the Gophers did not build on that season - they have gone backwards.

According to certain fans and posters, when Mason, Kill or Claeys was the coach, "8 wins and a bowl game" wasn't good enough - that we were "settling for mediocrity."

Fleck was supposed to be different - make a difference.

yes, there was an 11-2 season. I haven't forgotten. but by any reasonable standard, the Gophers did not build on that season - they have gone backwards.
And let's not forget who those 2 loses were. It was an excellent season where we lost our two measurement of the program games.

I still don't understand how Morgan didn't see he could have run the ball on that play, it was so open for him to run there. This is the truest sign of signs that he Morgan is indecisive, shell shocked and panicking way to much. Morgan's play is hurting tge team at this point.
On some of the overthrows, you could see the frustration in the receiver's eyes. When a QB can't throw a routine 7 yard out on a frozen rope to you, that is a problem.

The happy feet are the biggest tell-tale sign to me. I don't ever remember him being this indecisive before, but he sure appears to have a bad case of the yips.

Top Bottom