Did we lose a commitment ??

McDonald's hard to soft verbal?

"I guess I would be de-committed," said McDonald, when asked to classify his current status. "I'm looking at Ohio State, Iowa, and Vanderbilt."

"I guess I would be de-committed," said McDonald, when asked to classify his current status. "I'm looking at Ohio State, Iowa, and Vanderbilt."

That's a bummer. All the more need for Harbison. Getting both would be great, and hopefully McDonald stays put, but the Gophers need to shore up WR, especially with McKnight's last year and Q now starting QB.

Just another in a long line of them. Still time to go but ever since he went "soft" I haven't considered him at all committed to play football for the Golden Gophers.

Hoping he stays, but I am sympathetic with these kids. They are making a pretty big life decision and I'm sure it's difficult. They have to do what's right for them and not necessarily what we think is right for them.

Hoping he stays, but I am sympathetic with these kids. They are making a pretty big life decision and I'm sure it's difficult. They have to do what's right for them and not necessarily what we think is right for them.

My response to that is if he is looking for the best opportunity to further his football career I don't think there is a better opportunity than Minnesota. I'm sure he can read a depth chart and see that he has an incredible opportunity to be "the man" once McKnight is gone. He could literally walk in and compete for a starting position as a true freshman. That is definitely not the case at OSU and more than likely not the case at Iowa. Additionally, Iowa is not exactly known as a WR-centered offense. More like run dominated with short passes to the TE and RBs. If you are a TE I can possibly see the pull to Iowa but definitely not WR. At OSU I see him buried on the depth chart behind all of the other 4 and 5 star WRs they recruit every single year. That being said, not even taking into account that Minnesota is home, he has a great opportunity here that very few other places could offer.

This is exhibit A in why you don't commit until you're 100% sure of your decision.

I don't know Andre McDonald from John Doe. If he were to walk up to me right now, I wouldn't even recognize him. But if he really were standing right here, you can bet I would tell him that I am pissed off and very disappointed in him. I know I'm not alone. And why open yourself up to that criticism? If he wanted to wait and be sure, wait a while - wait until signing day, if you want. If it were my son, I wouldn't even allow him to re-open his commitment. Word is bond.

De-commitments are not necessarily a bad or reproachable thing in all circumstances. Take hypothetical player A. He is a two-star Florida player who gets an offer from UCF and jumps all over it, because he may not get a better one. But during his senior year, he blows up and gets an offer from Florida. He de-commits from UCF and commits to Florida. Can you blame him? I wouldn't let my own son do it, but I wouldn't blame another man if he let his son take that course of action. But that scenario is not the case here. He already had several offers before he ever committed to Minnesota. There is no excuse for what has taken place.

And yes, I realize Minnesota has benefitted from the reverse scenario (M. Carter, K. Cooper). I'll gladly take those players and treat them as true Gophers. But I don't like it and I wish it didn't take place.

My response to that is if he is looking for the best opportunity to further his football career I don't think there is a better opportunity than Minnesota. I'm sure he can read a depth chart and see that he has an incredible opportunity to be "the man" once McKnight is gone. He could literally walk in and compete for a starting position as a true freshman. That is definitely not the case at OSU and more than likely not the case at Iowa. Additionally, Iowa is not exactly known as a WR-centered offense. More like run dominated with short passes to the TE and RBs. If you are a TE I can possibly see the pull to Iowa but definitely not WR. At OSU I see him buried on the depth chart behind all of the other 4 and 5 star WRs they recruit every single year. That being said, not even taking into account that Minnesota is home, he has a great opportunity here that very few other places could offer.

All well thought out points, but unfortunately we are talking about a 17-18 year old kid and not many of them seem to think beyond tomorrow. If he goes, he goes...it's unfortunately to lose an in state kid, but there are other good high school wideouts in the US! I'm moving on...

Vandy is a fine school

"Your word is your bond." Are you kidding me? Every school gives out more offers than they have spots available. This is all a very large dance. It's a dance, and you won't known who is taking you home until the music stops playing.

Every school gives out more offers than they have spots available.

What does that have to do with anything?

A school making a scholarship offer is not analogous to de-committing.

A school pulling a scholarship offer from a committed recruit is analogous to de-committing.

A school offering way more scholarships than it has available is common sense. Most lower-level schools would end up with 3 or 4 commits if they only offered 25 scholarships.

I never said that it doesn't happen, nor did I ever say that they are not well within their rights to do so. It's a question of honor. People are less honorable, in general, than they used to be.

"It's a question of honor."

Totally agree, dpodoll. Once I am honor, I stay honor.

She offered her honor, I honored her offer. All night long it was honor and offer.

De-commitments are not necessarily a bad or reproachable thing in all circumstances. Take hypothetical player A. He is a two-star Florida player who gets an offer from UCF and jumps all over it, because he may not get a better one. But during his senior year, he blows up and gets an offer from Florida. He de-commits from UCF and commits to Florida. Can you blame him? I wouldn't let my own son do it, but I wouldn't blame another man if he let his son take that course of action. But that scenario is not the case here. He already had several offers before he ever committed to Minnesota. There is no excuse for what has taken place.

Exactly. In fact, McDonald had just visited Iowa right before he came back and verballed to the Gophers. He said he didn't like Iowa (what he saw on his trip) and it wasn't close to what the U had to offer. Now it appears that Iowa is maybe the front runner in this whole ordeal. The one school that doesn't produce WRs (Ferentz hasn't sent one of his WRs to the NFL). I'm just confused with this one, kind of get the feeling the kid is just full of himself????

You all get way to wrapped up in the life and times of high schoolers.

let me get this straight. gi is reporting what has been common knowledge for the last month?

don't get me wrong, gi is a fine site, but their posting community is one of the most cloistered that i have ever seen.

let me get this straight. gi is reporting what has been common knowledge for the last month?

don't get me wrong, gi is a fine site, but their posting community is one of the most cloistered that i have ever seen.
In this instance, I believe GI is just reacting to statements made by McDonald. I don't believe they are "reporting" anything. They had him as a soft commit and today removed him completely from the commit list.

I think the reality is that if the Gophers start say 1-3 he internally will drop the Gophers from consideration, if they go 3-1, have some good games in the Big Ten, and win a few there is a good chance he honors his commitment

If McDonald is still considering us and he's going to wait to see how we do, he has to realize that Kill and Co. may be low on scholarships by the end of the season. We already have what 19 or 20 verbals? Isn't there another WR in NC that is leaning towards the Gophers? I don't think Kill is necessarily going to keep a scholarship vacant just for McDonald.

He is a high school kid and probably has a lot of people in his ear. I would put the burden of how this goes on his parents and coaches. Its not fair to get down on a junior for changing his mind, but if this becomes a soap opera and a pageant, the adults failed him.

There is plenty of time for de-commitments or other things to happen between now and February. It will be a bummer if he decides to go elsewhere, but he's got to want to be here.

Top Bottom