Did we hire Fleck to be drastically better in one year?

Any position
When we played MTSU, without Brooks, then Smith went down, we didn't limit the carries that McCrary got and were not afraid to give a few to JFC, but we still want to protect the RS of London and Mohamed. What would have happened had McCrary or Femi-Cole would have also been out, due to injury or suspension? Would we have stopped running the ball altogether and thrown more?

I am specifically talking about QB. If you consider QB position the same as a RB or WR, there really is no way to explain it to you.

I am specifically talking about QB. If you consider QB position the same as a RB or WR, there really is no way to explain it to you.

His McCrary analogy is pretty spot on. Looks like they ran the same run plays with him in and I don't think Fleck told him run more cautiously so he avoided an injury. Smith could very well have been out longer and if McCrary also had gotten injured, we'd be hand wringing about RB being thin and what might happen if Brooks goes down, since he's already been dinged up. Think Fleck would be telling Brooks to ease up in that scenario?

He is building his program and if that involves tearing down some of what is already in place for his vision that is what he will do. This is now his way not a continuation of what came previously.

A lot of fans might not like that approach. If if Fleck is sacrificing some wins this year for what he deems better for the the program long term so be it. I am just going to try and enjoy the process.

What do the players think? Are they going to be ok with not winning, because PJ is trying to instill a culture? I think it is disingenuous for him to say he doesn't care about wins this year, especially after his "you didn't choose me, I chose you" talk he had with the returning players. If he isn't going to put his best efforts into winning with the players he has, what reason do they have to play hard for him or even play within the schemes he is trying to install? It would be like Julius in Remember the Titans: I'm supposed to wear myself out for the team? What team? Nah, nah what I'm gonna do is look out for myself and I'ma get mine.

His McCrary analogy is pretty spot on. Looks like they ran the same run plays with him in and I don't think Fleck told him run more cautiously so he avoided an injury. Smith could very well have been out longer and if McCrary also had gotten injured, we'd be hand wringing about RB being thin and what might happen if Brooks goes down, since he's already been dinged up. Think Fleck would be telling Brooks to ease up in that scenario?

QB is different. So, you think coaches should never be concerned with the amount of contact a QB is taking? I mean, if that is true, why are QB's sliding all of the time, or going out of bounds? What are coaches thinking?

What do the players think? Are they going to be ok with not winning, because PJ is trying to instill a culture?

Pretty sure the players along with Fleck think they're 3-1 with a chance to get to 4-1 this week.

QB is different. So, you think coaches should never be concerned with the amount of contact a QB is taking? I mean, if that is true, why are QB's sliding all of the time, or going out of bounds? What are coaches thinking?

Never said they weren't. What I am saying is, if you are going to run a play that is a designed read play where there is a chance that the QB will keep the ball because of that read, then you better let him do it or your hurting the entire offense. It's been part of the PJ/Ciarocca offense. Run the play, let him actually read the DE and pull when it is available, teach him to get down before contact. If it's a play that is having success during the game then run it a few more times until the other team adjusts.

Gigantic qualifier.

Never said they weren't. What I am saying is, if you are going to run a play that is a designed read play where there is a chance that the QB will keep the ball because of that read, then you better let him do it or your hurting the entire offense. It's been part of the PJ/Ciarocca offense. Run the play, let him actually read the DE and pull when it is available, teach him to get down before contact. If it's a play that is having success during the game then run it a few more times until the other team adjusts.

They aren't running zone read, they are running straight inside zone 90% of the time. They did the same thing last year with a quarterback who wasn't mobile. The thing they aren't doing this year is spreading the field with recievers.

People like GFBFan act like were 0-4 or destined to finish 3-9.

When have I ever said anything concerning our record?
We are 3 and 1 and had a great chance at 4 and 0, but things didn't work out. Saturday is a new game and a chance for us to get to win number 4, which I certainly think they can do.
But, if we are going to call plays or not call plays because we fear losing a player to injury there is something wrong with that. Do you agree or not agree with that?

They aren't running zone read, they are running straight inside zone 90% of the time. They did the same thing last year with a quarterback who wasn't mobile. The thing they aren't doing this year is spreading the field with recievers.

Ok, so let me ask you this.
You're the coach, you're in a close game and have a chance to win. You keep running the same play over and over again, but the other team keeps stopping it.
Do you:
A. Continue to run that play
B. Try to run a different play

Ok, so let me ask you this.
You're the coach, you're in a close game and have a chance to win. You keep running the same play over and over again, but the other team keeps stopping it.
Do you:
A. Continue to run that play
B. Try to run a different play

Run a different play. What does that have to do with what I said?

Run a different play. What does that have to do with what I said?

Not much, it has more to do with the points I have been trying to make, about the entire game vs. Maryland. Thanks for the answer.
I get they want to run inside zone. I also understand that they ran zone read more than a few times and they ran some zone Play action.
They ran inside zone too much on Saturday. Maryland had it stopped because their D sold out to stop Brooks and Smith.
We ran zone read and had Rhoda pulled and kept the ball on most of them, he would have gotten big yards and then it would have opened up the running lanes for Brooks and Smith.
We didn't do enough to attack what Maryland was giving us and some of what people are saying is we were doing it to protect Rhoda. That too me is BS.

Go back and read my posts on this whole topic.

We have another game in 2 days right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People like GFBFan act like were 0-4 or destined to finish 3-9.

For your info, I have faith in PJ and this team. I predicted 8 wins to start the year, would be disappointed in less, but it's not grounds for firing. I am also one of the people who thought TC got the shaft from Coyle, but i do like the PJ hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom