Did I hear correctly on B10 Network?

Rog

Reaction score
They were talking that there will not be enough teams with 6 wins to satisfy the contract requirement s for the Bowl games. They said that there is a
clause or whatever you call it, that would allow a 5 win team to fulfill the Bowl contracts.

If this is true, the Gophers could still have hopes.

Any comments?

we still have hope not because of this, but because we WILL win 2 more games.

Yeah if the gophers make a bowl game at 5-7 you'll never hear the end of how Country Claeys and Country Jer did such an outstanding job this year.

Current Bowl System is a Complete Joke!

They were talking that there will not be enough teams with 6 wins to satisfy the contract requirement s for the Bowl games. They said that there is a
clause or whatever you call it, that would allow a 5 win team to fulfill the Bowl contracts.

If this is true, the Gophers could still have hopes.

Any comments?

You heard right as that clause does exist and it sounds like it may be needed this year to fill all the open slots. My comment is that the fact that you might need to tap some 5 win teams to fill slots is just further proof that the "everyone gets a trophy" bowl system we have right now is a complete joke.

I don't even like that you are considered bowl eligible just by finishing .500 overall (in a 12 game schedule, 7 wins should be minimum just as 6 was the minimum when we played 11). There are way too many games and the accomplishment of just getting to a bowl means nothing like what it did back when there were only a handful of games each year.

I guess depending on how it all plays out we could end up benefiting from a 5 win team going but it certainly wouldn't be an accomplishment to get in that way.

There are way too many games and the accomplishment of just getting to a bowl means nothing like what it did back when there were only a handful of games each year.

And everyone is having a lot more fun... and making a lot more money.

Eligibility for 5-win teams is based on an academic performance formula. UM would probably qualify - so would Nebraska.

Yeah if the gophers make a bowl game at 5-7 you'll never hear the end of how Country Claeys and Country Jer did such an outstanding job this year.

Well no one could be expected to do as good as Lane Kiffin with the players he had at USC. Never seen a team play so hard for a coach! And how about how disciplined they were?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just took a look, and 33 teams are already at 6 or more wins, 16 more are at 5 wins, 23 are at 4 wins and 27 are at 3 wins.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Just more evidence there are too many bowl games. A 5 win team should never make the "post-season", in fact I'd love to see half the bowls go away forever.

Let's say we got in with 5.

Unless everyone got healthy I think we'd get run over. I'm not sure that would be a good thing.

Pretty sure there are multiple 6+ win teams that get left out of bowls most years, even with the current number of bowl games.

Anyways I feel like this has happened before. For the record I wouldn't want a bowl bid at 5-7, but I think we have two or three more wins in us

Just more evidence there are too many bowl games. A 5 win team should never make the "post-season", in fact I'd love to see half the bowls go away forever.

More football games is better than less.

I just took a look, and 33 teams are already at 6 or more wins, 16 more are at 5 wins, 23 are at 4 wins and 27 are at 3 wins.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I don't think it is a question about the number of teams with 6 wins through all of college football. The bowls (at least most I can think of, sans the playoff bowls) are scheduled conference vs conference deals. So if a conference doesn't have enough they go get another team.

Anyways I feel like this has happened before. For the record I wouldn't want a bowl bid at 5-7, but I think we have two or three more wins in us

The NCAA granted bowl waivers to UCLA in 2011 and Georgia Tech in 2012 when each lost their conference championship games to finish 6-7. Those teams were only in the conference championships at 6-6 because USC and North Carolina were postseason ineligible.

5-7 teams might get a bowl invite this year if there are not enough 6-win teams to fill all of the slots, but I'm guessing it will not come to that. We will see some ugly matchups, however, as 6-win MAC and Sun Belt teams find their way into some of these games.

If the B1G gets Ohio State, Michigan State and Iowa all into NYD6 bowls, there will be absolutely no chance the conference fills their allotment. It would probably go Citrus-Michigan, Outback-Penn State/Northwestern, Holiday-Wisconsin, Music City-Penn State/Northwestern, and then the last four bowls (Pinstripe, San Fran, Detroit, Armed Forces) would have to cross their fingers for a couple out of Minnesota/Illinois/Nebraska/Indiana/Rutgers to become eligible.

we still have hope not because of this, but because we WILL win 2 more games.

+1

More football games is better than less.

+1

Why do people need to complain so much? No one puts any weight on most of the bowl games as it is. If you are an intelligent football fan then you know winning the papajohnspizzadelivery.com bowl doesn't mean anything anyways, so who cares. It makes the schools more money, gives the players more to play for (puts more on tape, they get to travel together sometimes one last time, and they get really cool prizes for the bowl games) and it gives the fans one more game to enjoy! It's all for fun anyways and is another game to watch.

No one is forcing you to watch all the games. You certainly can choose to just watch the ones that you deem legitimate. I am all for extending the college football season any way possible.

Top Bottom