Did Brewter really say they're "very close to being 4-0"???

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
Another delusional quote from Brewster.

Garbage time TD's in the waning minutes of the last 2 games only to still lose by double digits and they never led in the SoDak game after the 1st quarter and were down by as many as 18 at one point....

Wow. :(

Brewster is positive. Is that really such a problem? Should he be woe-is-me negative? Would that be better?

the reality is results on the field will dictate whether he remains as coach.

Serious question for Art. Does the present situation make you happier than if the Gophers were going to the Rose Bowl? I think I know the answer.

What is really sad is that I am pretty sure you are not a Badger/Hawkeye troll but just a sour individual who just takes pleasure in the Gophers losing. Think about it- that is pathetic. At least Pantherhawk has someone to cheer for.

I hope you are not like this in the rest of your life.

Being postive and being delusional are not the same thing.....necessarily.

Winni~
Typically I'd agree with you about the being positive thing. But c'mon...this is a situation where he just shouldn't have said anything like that. At all. Just b/c he's a positive guy doesn't mean he can't be called out for saying stupid stuff.

Hey, France almost beat Germany in 1940. If only the Krauts hadn't pulled an end run around the Maginot line. Cheaters!

Someone should remind Brewster that we're a lot closer to being 0-4 than 4-0. If Dasher hadn't been shaking down senile old vets for gambling jack we would be winless.

He is completely talking out of his arse as usual. When he has nothing else to say he just keeps yapping. The more he yaps the more stupid stuff like this he says.

At this point I don't think any of us should ever be surprised with what comes out of Brewster's mouth. If he were to tell us that he was visited by aliens who told him to start a new religion based on cat nip I would just play it off as Brewster being Brew

I have a feeling he's going to speak directly to the band so he can tell them to play upbeat, happy music...

Art, you didn't answer my question.

Does the present situation make you happier than if the Gophers were going to the Rose Bowl?

While Brew is probably saying things in a way that most of us wish he wouldn't, he isn't necessarily incorrect. Listed below are a couple plays from each game that may have changed the outcome. That being said there are also a couple plays each game that could have made the outcome much worse.

USD:

Weber's fumble (may have been fourth down don't recall)
USD's 4th down touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

USC:
Kickoff return after gophers take the lead (Momentum change was TREMENDOUS)
4th down conversion by USC in the 4th quarter

NIU:

Touchdown called back on holding penalty
Decision to punt early in 3rd quarter
Long run in 4th quarter

Final note, these are the plays that good (experienced) teams make to wins games and the gophers didn't make them.

Sadly, I must agree with Art here.

Being positive and living in reality are two different things. I've always thought Brewster was just the former, but he seems to be descending into madness with his job security gone.

The "could just as easily be 4-0" bit (even if it were true, which it isn't, not remotely) serves no purpose other than to provide ammunition for the haters. It's fluff. It means nothing. What he's attempting to do is state that this team is 1 or 2 plays away from being respectable. Anyone who has actually watched the games this year knows that is not even close to true.

The "could just as easily be 4-0" bit (even if it were true, which it isn't, not remotely) serves no purpose other than to provide ammunition for the haters. It's fluff. It means nothing. What he's attempting to do is state that this team is 1 or 2 plays away from being respectable. Anyone who has actually watched the games this year knows that is not even close to true.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't know, this seems like just looking for reasons to bash the guy. He's clearly on his way out anyways so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over him trying to be overly positive. He's going to go down swinging the same way he came in. Nor surprise there.

Brew has no sense of when to turn it off. It's fine if he's all sunshine and puppies when he's in a recruits living room (so long as they buy it) but be able to face reality with the press when things aren't going well. I don't want to hear how proud you are of the team's effort when they just got shut out by thier rival for the second-straight year. I don't want to hear about officiating when you just lost to a MAC team and I dont' want to hear how 'close' you are to going 4-0 when you're actually 1-3 and lost to a medicore FCS school by giving up 41 points to them. It makes you look like nothing but a blathering fool, which sadly, is apparently all he is.

No, he really didn't say that. You're just imaging things. You can go back to sleep now.

At this point, getting worked up by what Brew says is like getting worked up by what a 90 year old sports columnist says. Who cares?

Brewster is positive. Is that really such a problem? Should he be woe-is-me negative? Would that be better?

the reality is results on the field will dictate whether he remains as coach.

Serious question for Art. Does the present situation make you happier than if the Gophers were going to the Rose Bowl? I think I know the answer.

What is really sad is that I am pretty sure you are not a Badger/Hawkeye troll but just a sour individual who just takes pleasure in the Gophers losing. Think about it- that is pathetic. At least Pantherhawk has someone to cheer for.

I hope you are not like this in the rest of your life.

Vandelay is Barreiro. Maybe that helps it make sense.

Yeah, there's gilding the lily, and then there's total delusion. Brew's teetering.

POINT: You have to say things that make sense to people and doesn't stretch reality to the point of breaking. If you don't, you threaten your own credibility.

COUNTERPOINT: If he's convinced his team that each of those games was within reach and that it bodes well for their chances to win some upcoming games, more power to him, I guess.

Art, you didn't answer my question.

Does the present situation make you happier than if the Gophers were going to the Rose Bowl?

No Gopher fan is happy that we're looking at a possible 2nd 1-11 season in four years. Not even us pessimistic "trolls" and "mouth-breathers." I would be much happier if you were in a position to shove every single one of the words I've written about Brewster over the past year down my throat. It's simply not the case.

Stop making this into something it is not. It's not about us anti-Brewster people being right, or your pro-Brewster people being wrong. Although you guys were tremendously annoying over the past year and a half as you hung on to his every wordand kept saying "when he gets his recruits in there..." This is about OUR (koolaid drinkers', mouth-breathers', trolls', optimists' and pessimists' alike) football program having to endure four years with a head coach who was absolutely the wrong person for the job and about how he uses severe over-exaggerations in attempt to portray a picture that differs from reality. It has reeked of desperation for a few years now. Finally, those on the fence have realized it; although you seem to have yet to.

Believe me I'm not happy about any of this other than the fact that I think most of the fanbase finally realizes it was all bullsh*t and it'll all be over in a few months.

Mouthbreather,

You are referring to groups (pro-Brewster/ anti-Brewster) I am referring to one poster, Art Vandelay. I just want Art to answer my question. Without question, I believe he prefers a lousy Gopher team and an awful coach.

The rest of the anti-Brewster crowd desires change, I understand and agree with that. I just don't see the point of ripping apart everything he says, results will speak louder than any meaningless chatter- here, in the media and by Brewster.

Can Gopherhole just start a forum labeled "Things Brewster says" so every other thread in the football board doesn't have to be "Did Brewster really say......". This way, anyone who wants to dissect every word he says can do it there.

We can call the forum "%*&# my coach says" and maybe there will be a crappy TV show starring William Shatner about it.

Mouthbreather,

You are referring to groups (pro-Brewster/ anti-Brewster) I am referring to one poster, Art Vandelay. I just want Art to answer my question. Without question, I believe he prefers a lousy Gopher team and an awful coach.

The rest of the anti-Brewster crowd desires change, I understand and agree with that. I just don't see the point of ripping apart everything he says, results will speak louder than any meaningless chatter- here, in the media and by Brewster.

Hey Winny Gopher.....Sorry I didn't answer your question in 4.9 seconds.

No, I don't prefer a lousy team or lousy coach but unfortunately that's all I've seen in my lifetime at this University. Call it built in apathy from birth. I was not even close to being alive the last time this football team was relevant in the B10. When and if the right AD and/or head coach come along, I will let you know m'boy :D

If he really believes his own BS, he is delusional.
If he really thinks that others believe his BS, he is a fool.
If he really believes his own BS and thinks others believe it, too, well.......

If he really believes his own BS, he is delusional.
If he really thinks that others believe his BS, he is a fool.
If he really believes his own BS and thinks others believe it, too, well.......

Well said!

I visited my moms this afternoon and part of Brews conference was on the news and she asked me whats wrong with this guy, he's losing it!! Lmao big time.... She barely follows football and knows enough that he is either a out of his mind, delusional, or totally nuts. Anyways what he said at the conference was hilarious!!!!! I'm lost for words with this goon.

Hey Winny Gopher.....Sorry I didn't answer your question in 4.9 seconds.

No, I don't prefer a lousy team or lousy coach but unfortunately that's all I've seen in my lifetime at this University. Call it built in apathy from birth. I was not even close to being alive the last time this football team was relevant in the B10. When and if the right AD and/or head coach come along, I will let you know m'boy :D

LOL! Art Vandelay is Badger red as red can be. He used to post on Badgernation a few years back but now devotes himself here full time....but he's such a big gopher fan he claims he doesn't even know where those dreaded Sconny sites are.

Art's little sob story about apathy from birth doesn't even meet the smell test.

What's his excuse for taking pot shots at the Twins? At Gopher basketball? Anything Minnesota-related, and it's Art's mission in life to make fun of it.

If the Gophers ever win consistently, he'll do exactly the same thing he does with the Twins over on the Off-Topic Board. He waits in the weeds all season long, not saying a word, then as soon as they lose to the Yankees in the playoffs, he jumps out and calls them choke artists. It's really very predictable.

If the Gophers ever go 7-1, he'll call them a nice little team that can't beat Ohio State and run with the big boys. If they make the Rose Bowl and lose, he'll say it's waste if you can't win the whole thing.

Brewster got here shootin off his big mouth, and that is exactly what will get his butt oughta here too... he just has no clue should have shut his trap completely until he could prove his ability, as it is he has no credibility at all.. he needs to resign

While Brew is probably saying things in a way that most of us wish he wouldn't, he isn't necessarily incorrect. Listed below are a couple plays from each game that may have changed the outcome. That being said there are also a couple plays each game that could have made the outcome much worse.

USD:

Weber's fumble (may have been fourth down don't recall)
USD's 4th down touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

USC:
Kickoff return after gophers take the lead (Momentum change was TREMENDOUS)
4th down conversion by USC in the 4th quarter

NIU:

Touchdown called back on holding penalty
Decision to punt early in 3rd quarter
Long run in 4th quarter

Final note, these are the plays that good (experienced) teams make to wins games and the gophers didn't make them.

Silvio don't even do this. Anyone else can pick out a few plays the other teams didn't make and the outcomes would have been worse than they were.

This argument works both ways.

Top Bottom