Did “Play Like a Champion Today” come from Minnesota?

mplsbadger

Reaction score

“Castiglione doesn't claim Oklahoma as being the originator of the phrase, noting that it is used at schools around the country and at every level. He said all the research the Sooners have done indicates Wilkinson might have brought it with him from Minnesota, where he played for coach Bernie Bierman. And Holtz (who arrived at Notre Dame from Minnesota, incidentally) even said he doesn't know the name of the book where he saw the Notre Dame photo. Heisler said Notre Dame was never able to find the source.”

I wouldn't be surprised to have it "discovered" organically any number of places. It's a few common words strung together in a fairly ... common way.

I think Jerry and several coaches were using "Brick by Brick" all at once.

I feel like anyone going too far down the rabbit hole will find "Play Like A Champion" (with or without today) or some form of it used a great deal.

Having said that ... we should unleash the lawyers immediately...

I knew Drew Bledsoe owned a winery but I didn't know that Rick Mirer had one as well. I think when you go into a wine shop and have to decide between one label or the other, the Bledsoe will be just okay and the Mirer will be an utter disappointment.

I’ve always liked the phrase, “Leave it on the Field!”
Bernie may very well have come up with Play like a Champion!

Top Bottom