Dick Vitale calls out Wisconsin Football

Since when is politely stating an opinion "whining?"

Not him...but the influential alumni did.

You are absolutely right and I posted that after the game. It had nothing to do with running up the score, one point doesn't do that. Nor were"when to go for two" cards part of the decision. It had everything to do with BB knowing that covering that spread would be a very helpful thing to Sconie bettors.

I have 0 problem with WI running up the score. I hope in everyone's chosen field they always strive for the biggest, the most, the best of everything.
Patton, Mitchell, McArthur all SOBs but got the job done. nope, not comparing BB to those guys just saying always flatten the gas pedal.

I agree with GopherinTexas and Rosemountian. Bielema is making his bed and his perception is suffering. Expect, as GopherinTexas writes, more visiting sick kids in the hospital and assisting senior citizens with their grocery shopping (both good things).

Maybe it's because it happened to my team, but I still think the 2-point conversion was more an example of poor sportsmanship than the Indiana game because it was apparent that it was Bielema sending Brewster, and not the Gopher team or the state of Minnesota, a message. That's inappropriate to me. Games shouldn't be used for personal messages. If Bielema doesn't like Brewster, he should have the gust to say publicly, "I don't like Tim Brewster" instead of making a goofy, out-of-the-box call during a game.

I think Bielema's a good coach. It's fairly obvious that he knows what he's doing on the field. But he's an entire tool box when it comes to just about everything else.

I have a hard time comprehending that two points causes you more consternation than the whalloping that was put on Indiana. I don't even see them in the same league. :cool02:

Rip BB all you want....I am happy he is my coach. I mean your already on HC #2 during BB stay at Wisconsin. I could care less what goofer fans think of him, because he beats you every time and has us in the hunt for a Big10 title. You rip the guy but you wish you could have someone like him, someone who wins games. 47-15 not a bad start. What was Punky again?

Rip BB all you want....I am happy he is my coach. I mean your already on HC #2 during BB stay at Wisconsin. I could care less what goofer fans think of him, because he beats you every time and has us in the hunt for a Big10 title. You rip the guy but you wish you could have someone like him, someone who wins games. 47-15 not a bad start. What was Punky again?

What position do you play?

I have a hard time comprehending that two points causes you more consternation than the whalloping that was put on Indiana. I don't even see them in the same league. :cool02:

I think I've made it clear. I saw the 2-point conversion attempt as a direct attack by Bielema on Brewster. It had nothing to do with the game. I can't believe you are so dense that you can't figure out my logic.

I don't think the Badgers ran up the score on Indiana. I think it just happened. Bielema made a conscious decision to go for two points against us to show up Brewster. He didn't make a conscious decision to hang up all those points on Indiana.

You care so little that you are roaming and writing on our message board? That makes sense.

It's "I couldn't care less...." by the way.

This is incorrect, at least in my opinion. Bielema inherited a tremendous staff at Wisconsin. As much as I may dislike Wisconsin, they have arguably one of the best staff's in the conference. But BB is an absolute buffoon at the helm. That ship sails regardless of who is at the wheel. The Badgers are winning in spite of BB, not because of him. Wisconsin has an exceptional coaching staff, which has had some very good continuity, with a system that's been in place for a long time. BB just happens to be the imbecile that's the face of the program right now.

Gopher fans should be wanting Paul Chryst to get a head coaching gig ASAP.

either the most bitter guy in the ward or the most fb deluded

I think part of the ridiculousness is Bielema acting like he isn't trying to run up the score. If you're going to be that kind of guy, then do it. Don't act like you had no idea what was going on when people call you out later. If you're going to be a jerk, be a jerk and be proud of it.

Woody Hayes once went for two against Michigan, despite a 36-point lead. Why?

"Because I couldn't go for three," Hayes said.

And the funny thing is, for all his greatness as a coach (and he was great), Woody Hayes is more remembered now--at least outside of Ohio--for being a jerk. Jerk he may have been, but he was no hypocrite.

I think part of the ridiculousness is Bielema acting like he isn't trying to run up the score. If you're going to be that kind of guy, then do it. Don't act like you had no idea what was going on when people call you out later. If you're going to be a jerk, be a jerk and be proud of it.

Woody Hayes once went for two against Michigan, despite a 36-point lead. Why?

"Because I couldn't go for three," Hayes said.

What a great quote. That's classic. :)

While I agree with the sentiment of "stop them" and you don't have a problem, BB is kind of putting his players in jeopardy at the same time.

If you are going to be a classless ass and try to embarrass kids, those kids may at the same time start diving at the knees of your QB or twisting the ankles of your RB under the pile.

It's kind of like baseball. If you're going to steal bases up 9 runs, you better expect a pitch in the ribs the next time up.

so putting in your 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers starting in the late 3rd QTR constitutes as running up the score? And who gives a crap what Dick Vitale thinks about a team/game he didn't even watch?! Some of you Gophers need to get rid of the hard on for BB. If he was the Gophers coach and winning you wouldn't be saying a damned thing.

Believe me, if Bielema were our coach, I'd be all over him every time he acted like an ass.

Max, good point. One of my gripes in another thread strikes the same chord as your post. If Bielema has (had) a problem with Brewster, say openly in the press, "I think Brewster is a tool (or something to that effect)." Don't make your team do your dirty work for you.

goldengopheralum2000, I haven't complained about last week's score for the reasons you state. If you're playing your 3rd and 4th stringers for the fourth quarter, let them play.

so putting in your 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers starting in the late 3rd QTR constitutes as running up the score? And who gives a crap what Dick Vitale thinks about a team/game he didn't even watch?! Some of you Gophers need to get rid of the hard on for BB. If he was the Gophers coach and winning you wouldn't be saying a damned thing.
B.S. Personality matters. Dennis Green won a lot of games, but he was an arrogant, hypersensitive dick in the process and that made it easier for the populous to call for his head the first chance they got. Brad Childress got shafted out of the Super Bowl last year and now he's on the hot seat right now because of his attitude and personality. It matters and you're fooling yourself if you're under the assumption that it doesn't.

And the funny thing is, for all his greatness as a coach (and he was great), Woody Hayes is more remembered now--at least outside of Ohio--for being a jerk. Jerk he may have been, but he was no hypocrite.

To be fair, he's remembered for being a jerk because he hit a kid during a game, which led to his eventual disposal and not because he ran up the score. If he didn't commit that incident, few would criticize his ridiculousness, which spanned far greater than the Clemson game.

This ridiculous thread (a basketball buffoon commenting on a game he didn't watch) is still going on? Sorry, but I've got a date in the Big House with possible BCS games on the line.

For the record, I like our coach. Does he have flaws? Sure, but he runs a clean program. I recall a thread on this board where MANY people (surprisingly so, to me) said they would take a Clem Haskins-type scandal in order to get to a national title game. And these folks complain about a 2 point conversion???

This ridiculous thread (a basketball buffoon commenting on a game he didn't watch) is still going on? Sorry, but I've got a date in the Big House with possible BCS games on the line.
For the record, I like our coach. Does he have flaws? Sure, but he runs a clean program. I recall a thread on this board where MANY people (surprisingly so, to me) said they would take a Clem Haskins-type scandal in order to get to a national title game. And these folks complain about a 2 point conversion???
What a joke. "Sorry I can't be bothered with your pathetic whining, I've got an important game on the agenda for today." Still, here you are bright and early running to a rival's board to see if people are still badmouthing King Turd.

To be fair, he's remembered for being a jerk because he hit a kid during a game, which led to his eventual disposal and not because he ran up the score. If he didn't commit that incident, few would criticize his ridiculousness, which spanned far greater than the Clemson game.

Agree on all counts, but it was the egregious behavior that cemented his reputation and not all the other unsportsmanlike crap he did during his career.

What a joke. "Sorry I can't be bothered with your pathetic whining, I've got an important game on the agenda for today." Still, here you are bright and early running to a rival's board to see if people are still badmouthing King Turd.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

No running up the score today...could have scored 55-60 if they wanted to.

What happened to THE CARD?

Badgers TD to go up 47 - 28 with 2:41 left, 2 pts makes the lead 21 (3 TD's). BB kicks the extra point to make it 48 - 28.

No running up the score today...could have scored 55-60 if they wanted to.

Of course, the Badgers can score a 100 points every game if they choose to.:blah::blah::blah:

Why it's only this soft hearted weakness that has kept them from playing for a National Championship. :rolleyes:

C'mon guys. As Gopher fans we are getting a bit too emotional about Bielema going for two. Was it a dick move? Sure. But he's a dick. That's to be expected. Should the Gophers sit and whine about it? No, they should shove it down Wisconsin's throats on Nov. 11, 2011.

BarnBoy - you're missing the point, too. I said SEVERAL EFFING TIMES that Wisconsin was classless for running it up on Indiana. I also said that instead of crying about it, the Gophers should man up and stop Wisconsin from doing so next time.

Sweet, we play each other next year on 11/11/11! Hoping there is some Gopher luck, luck, and more luck!

Top Bottom