Dick Vitale calls out Wisconsin Football

maliksealy

Reaction score
...while broadcasting the Louisville/Butler basketball game. Said he has "a big problem" throwing the football while being ahead by so many points. Pretty much ensuing that BB was running up the score against Indiana.

Must have been a pretty boring game if there was enough of a lull to talk some Hoosier football.

Hilarious - said several times he did not see the game.

Instead of the story being - "Wisconsin has an outstanding team" - the story is "Wisconsin is a poor sport." Public perception is very important. Expect to see several stories out of Madison showcasing Bret's charitable activities.

If BB wasn't such a known piece of work then he probably wouldn't be taking so much heat.
He has been in the news twice this year, both for things that could easily be seen as poor sportsmanship.

If BB wasn't such a known piece of work then he probably wouldn't be taking so much heat.
He has been in the news twice this year, both for things that could easily be seen as poor sportsmanship.

This.

I've never known of another coach who openly admitted he wanted to change his relationship with the media, but that's exactly what BB said this summer. There's a reason few give him the benefit of the doubt.

This.

I've never known of another coach who openly admitted he wanted to change his relationship with the media, but that's exactly what BB said this summer. There's a reason few give him the benefit of the doubt.

Seems like he is not smart enough to do it. The 2 pt try was stupid. He forgot it was not just him against Brewster. It was against all of the Minnesota players, fans, coaches, etc. Most importantly it gave the media a great story. It will take a long time for this to go away.

The 2 point conversion try was a "great story?"

Guys, you're acting like Bielema was up four touchdowns and was still calling blitzes and throwing passes downfield. He went for two. Was he trying to dig the knife in? Of course. It's a rivalry game. I had no problem with that. I had a much bigger problem with the Gophers' inability to stop the Badgers or score points of their own.

Bielema's actions against the Gophers weren't embarrassing; the Gophers' inability to make a defensive stop on third down or score a touchdown was embarrassing.

In a rivalry game, I don't have a problem with scoring a bunch of points. You're supposed to be equal opponents who don't like each other much. Bring your best and go for it. The Indiana game is another story. It was classless in that Wisconsin scored 45 points in the second half -- 24 in the fourth quarter -- against an obviously weaker foe. Even if Wisconsin doesn't score the 24 in the fourth quarter, the score is still 59-20. That's obscene.

enman- Badger fans need not apply. It is hard to stop the Badger offense in the second half when you were given two bogus calls to extend the drive and score a TD. What was the score at that point 13-10? It directly impacts momentum of the game just like last a bogus high low at the one yard line against the Gophers where we had to kick a field goal instead of a TD. How about 3 years ago at the dome when your Badgers were allowed to move the sticks on 4th and short when they moved backwards on the play or on 3rd and goal you were awarded a touchdown when you never crossed the goaline. Don't let the facts get in your way.

enman- Badger fans need not apply. It is hard to stop the Badger offense in the second half when you were given two bogus calls to extend the drive and score a TD. What was the score at that point 13-10? It directly impacts momentum of the game just like last a bogus high low at the one yard line against the Gophers where we had to kick a field goal instead of a TD. How about 3 years ago at the dome when your Badgers were allowed to move the sticks on 4th and short when they moved backwards on the play or on 3rd and goal you were awarded a touchdown when you never crossed the goaline. Don't let the facts get in your way.

You're embarrassing yourself. It's consistently the refs' fault??!

Do you know how bush-league that sounds?

Saw brent enema on the Big Ten show last night. Did he join Hair Club for Men? Everytime I see him and listen to that smug voice of his I want to puke.

I agree with GopherinTexas and Rosemountian. Bielema is making his bed and his perception is suffering. Expect, as GopherinTexas writes, more visiting sick kids in the hospital and assisting senior citizens with their grocery shopping (both good things).

Maybe it's because it happened to my team, but I still think the 2-point conversion was more an example of poor sportsmanship than the Indiana game because it was apparent that it was Bielema sending Brewster, and not the Gopher team or the state of Minnesota, a message. That's inappropriate to me. Games shouldn't be used for personal messages. If Bielema doesn't like Brewster, he should have the gust to say publicly, "I don't like Tim Brewster" instead of making a goofy, out-of-the-box call during a game.

I think Bielema's a good coach. It's fairly obvious that he knows what he's doing on the field. But he's an entire tool box when it comes to just about everything else.

I agree with GopherinTexas and Rosemountian. Bielema is making his bed and his perception is suffering. Expect, as GopherinTexas writes, more visiting sick kids in the hospital and assisting senior citizens with their grocery shopping (both good things).

Maybe it's because it happened to my team, but I still think the 2-point conversion was more an example of poor sportsmanship than the Indiana game because it was apparent that it was Bielema sending Brewster, and not the Gopher team or the state of Minnesota, a message. That's inappropriate to me. Games shouldn't be used for personal messages. If Bielema doesn't like Brewster, he should have the gust to say publicly, "I don't like Tim Brewster" instead of making a goofy, out-of-the-box call during a game.

I think Bielema's a good coach. It's fairly obvious that he knows what he's doing on the field. But he's an entire tool box when it comes to just about everything else.

Respectfully no; BB probaably had a couple of grand bet on the game and the spread was 21. He needed a 22 point victory!:)

minnyrules11 - I'm not a Badger fan AT ALL, I'm a realist.

The only thing more embarrassing than a team running up the score is a team who can't stop someone from running up the score. As far as whining about the referees and calls from years past, it's pretty simple: If you don't suck, the referees don't matter.

If you don't like someone running up the score, then stop them from doing so. It's not you're powerless to stop it.

I agree with Minnyrules11. But for the refs, the Badgers would not have beaten the Gophers 14 of the last 16 years. Next year, but for the refs, it will be 15-17.

Eventually the refs are going to get it right. That is quite a trend.

minnyrules11 - I'm not a Badger fan AT ALL, I'm a realist.

The only thing more embarrassing than a team running up the score is a team who can't stop someone from running up the score. As far as whining about the referees and calls from years past, it's pretty simple: If you don't suck, the referees don't matter.

If you don't like someone running up the score, then stop them from doing so. It's not you're powerless to stop it.

So, when Texas (when it was a power house) played UTEP and was destroying them....Mack should not call off the dogs and just continue to run up the score? Great sportsmanship.

I

This is incorrect, at least in my opinion. Bielema inherited a tremendous staff at Wisconsin. As much as I may dislike Wisconsin, they have arguably one of the best staff's in the conference. But BB is an absolute buffoon at the helm. That ship sails regardless of who is at the wheel. The Badgers are winning in spite of BB, not because of him. Wisconsin has an exceptional coaching staff, which has had some very good continuity, with a system that's been in place for a long time. BB just happens to be the imbecile that's the face of the program right now.

Gopher fans should be wanting Paul Chryst to get a head coaching gig ASAP.

I agree with Minnyrules11. But for the refs, the Badgers would not have beaten the Gophers 14 of the last 16 years. Next year, but for the refs, it will be 15-17.

Eventually the refs are going to get it right. That is quite a trend.

Jumping the gun about next year GV. Better worry about Michigan.

Right now, not concerned about Becky. I know the rivalry hatred gets fueled every year, but until MN gets it going, it makes little sense to me to despise Becky on the boards.

My greatest hope is that the Gopher players remember BB's "innocent 2-point try," and shock the world by waxing that a** in the next few years. That mess made me want to suit up, just to fade to the sideline and take his feet out. Better dead than Red!

This is incorrect, at least in my opinion. Bielema inherited a tremendous staff at Wisconsin. As much as I may dislike Wisconsin, they have arguably one of the best staff's in the conference.

Dear Sir,

Paul Chryst is the only coach other than Bret Bielema remaining from Barry Alvarez's last staff in 2005. Chryst came back to Madison in 2005 when it was known 2005 would be Barry Alvarez's last year and Bret Bielema would succeed him.

Bret Bielema was solely responsible for assembling the staff for 2006, a project that resulted in a number of coaches not being asked back, including a very popular offensive line coach.

In short, there was no "inherited staff." This staff was and always has been Bret Bielema's staff.

Sincerely,
Southfew

Bielema inherited a tremendous staff at Wisconsin.

You are incorrect with this.

Bielema became head coach before the 2006 season. Here are the years that his current coaching staff has been at Wisconsin

Paul Chryst - 2005 to present
Dave Doeren - 2005 to present
John Settle - 2006 to present
DelVaughn Alexander - 2007 to present
Joe Rudolph - 2008 to present
Bob Bostad - 2006 to present
Charlie Partridge - 2008 to present
Chris Ash - 2010 to present
Greg Jackson - 2010 to present

Bielema retained very little from Barry's last staff. Only Doeren, Chryst, and Henry Mason were kept. Mason was good but had a spinal injury that knocked him out of coaching. Two guys that were not retained by Bielema were Jeff Horton and Ron Lee. Bielema completely overhauled the Wisconsin staff when he took over the HC duties. Since then he has tweaked it to what it is now (firing Mike Hankwitz and elevating Doeren to DC is an example). He did not inherit a tremendous staff, he hired it.

So, when Texas (when it was a power house) played UTEP and was destroying them....Mack should not call off the dogs and just continue to run up the score? Great sportsmanship.

You didn't read my earlier posts and are completely missing what I said.

My whole point was that rivalry teams who are comparable in status (Minnesota-Wisconsin) should play it out. Also, the two-point try wasn't exactly the level of ridiculousness as the Wisconsin-Indiana game.

So if you're Texas playing UTEP, you pull off the dogs. If you're Texas playing Oklahoma, get after it the best you can.

If it's Wisconsin versus Indiana, pull the dogs off. You're not proving anything by beating up on a weaker foe. In fact, my earlier post said:
In a rivalry game, I don't have a problem with scoring a bunch of points. You're supposed to be equal opponents who don't like each other much. Bring your best and go for it. The Indiana game is another story. It was classless in that Wisconsin scored 45 points in the second half -- 24 in the fourth quarter -- against an obviously weaker foe. Even if Wisconsin doesn't score the 24 in the fourth quarter, the score is still 59-20. That's obscene.

The badger fans are sure busy trolling the boards defending themselves. What goes around comes around and if you wait long enough your bumper will run into a badger and we will all be better off.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone knows he's a jerk, but he is a winning jerk. As long as you win, you get to be as big a jerk as you want to be. If he ever starts losing, then h'll find out hat people really think of him. At the moment, he is coaching what is probably the best team in the conference, and if I was a ranked BCS team, I would not want to play them in a bowl game.

Badger fans know a little bit about whining about the refs. Nobody does it more frequently than Bo "Grinch" Ryan.

This is the excuse given by someone with a complete lack of sportsmanship and class. You are missing the point my friend.

The final score says it all. One didn't even have to watch the game.

C'mon guys. As Gopher fans we are getting a bit too emotional about Bielema going for two. Was it a dick move? Sure. But he's a dick. That's to be expected. Should the Gophers sit and whine about it? No, they should shove it down Wisconsin's throats on Nov. 11, 2011.

BarnBoy - you're missing the point, too. I said SEVERAL EFFING TIMES that Wisconsin was classless for running it up on Indiana. I also said that instead of crying about it, the Gophers should man up and stop Wisconsin from doing so next time.

Top Bottom