DeVondre Campbell... something special?

EE_Gopher

Reaction score
I know it's early. But when I re-watched the game and saw his athleticism, all I could think was... how did we get this guy?

What an athletic looking linebacker!

He certainly has the build and the motor. In physique, he reminds me of MarQueis. He might end up being one of Kill's biggest steals.

Was certainly a good debut for him and as Highwayman mentioned he looks the part. JC guys are hit and miss but he could turn out to be a very nice find for us at a position of need. Will be interesting to see how he holds up when the competition gets tougher in a few weeks.

He's got to have it upstairs also to be special. Whenever you move up a level, virtually ALL of the athletes are amazing athletes. If he's got it going upstairs and/or has great football instincts, than yes he can be an elite player. It's smarts that separates people from the rest of the pack, not elite athleticism.

If he truly is, he could be an amazing addition for the next few years!!

The amazing thing is that he doesn't really know how to play (which he freely admits). As Ogee is alluding to, if he ever gets the mental side figured out...hoo boy.

I saw him miss a few tackles in open space so he'll need to clean that up, but there's no doubt he has the physical tools to be a great LB. It sounds like he has a great head on his shoulders too.

Shede is the star, but there is a lot on the defense to get excited about. Murray and Campbell really got my attention.

Kill flat-out said that Campbell will be playing on Sundays after he graduates. It's fairly obvious that they've seen really good things out of him in camp. To me, he still plays a bit high and likes to "grab" people with those long arms of his, rather than forming up and really delivering a shot. That said, holy cow...what a freak athlete!

For those who really follow it close, what is the back story behind Campbell, how did he end up in JC? Was it grades that held him back from being a top recruit coming out of high school or was he a kid that flew under the radar? I am sure it has been discussed here but I couldn't find a thread on it in a quick search so figured I would toss it out to the board.

For those who really follow it close, what is the back story behind Campbell, how did he end up in JC? Was it grades that held him back from being a top recruit coming out of high school or was he a kid that flew under the radar? I am sure it has been discussed here but I couldn't find a thread on it in a quick search so figured I would toss it out to the board.

He played his HS ball in FL, but it was for a terrible team. He didn't put himself out there and go to camps, so he was very lightly recruited. Like Boddy, he went to JC in KS in order to get better offers (explains why both redshirted in JC) and he really started to develop there.

Also, the kid was an insane sprinter in HS (sub-22 200 at 205-210 lbs.) and I'm guessing the Hutchinson staff thought they could take a freak athlete and turn him into a football player.

He played his HS ball in FL, but it was for a terrible team. He didn't put himself out there and go to camps, so he was very lightly recruited. Like Boddy, he went to JC in KS in order to get better offers (explains why both redshirted in JC) and he really started to develop there.

Also, the kid was an insane sprinter in HS (sub-22 200 at 205-210 lbs.) and I'm guessing the Hutchinson staff thought they could take a freak athlete and turn him into a football player.

Thanks for the info... was anyone else recruiting him out of JC or were we the only ones?

Thanks for the info... was anyone else recruiting him out of JC or were we the only ones?

He committed to Tennessee, Texas, and Kansas St. at various times before flipping here on signing day. He took officials to all 4.

I'm really liking Campbell, he's raw, but he's also a stud with massive upside.

Barring injury or some unfortunate incident, he should only get better and probably a lot better. Think about it, he's only played one game in a new system at a much higher level. His upside is HUGH.

Go Gophers!

Barring injury or some unfortunate incident, he should only get better and probably a lot better. Think about it, he's only played one game in a new system at a much higher level. His upside is HUGH.

Go Gophers!

Paging Hugh Jass .... Is there a Hugh Jass in the building?

After re-watching the game, it's obvious that he "mis-read a few plays". It's also obvious that he is insanely quick, athletic and a good tackler. Good things ahead.

Pros: 3 years to play & unlimited athleticism

Cons: Raw & lacking strength.

Kill wants Juco's with 3 years to play like Campbell & that makes great sense. I've heard 2nd hand that the coaching staff said point blank "If he didn't have 3 years to play we wouldn't have recruited him". Campbell is super athletic, but as mentioned he's lost a lot of the time, grabs instead of tackles & physically is very slight for a linebacker @ 6'5" 225lb. He will be fantastic in time but anyone expecting big things from him this year will be disappointed imo. Iowa, Nebraska, Penn St & Wisconsin will run right at him all day long.

When I saw him he sort of reminded me of Brandon Owens, #20/32 who was badly injured during the 2005 game at Penn State.

Owens was more compact than Campbell, but he had the speed, agility and hitting ability that was often lacking at MN. Owens started at Safety but seemed to find a home at LB before that awful collision with Michael Robinson on the sideline.

I fear that his shoulder and arm have not recovered to this day, but an update would be nice to hear if anyone knows anything.

I fear that his shoulder and arm have not recovered to this day, but an update would be nice to hear if anyone knows anything.

To this day, the sickest, saddest moment I've seen in a Gopher game.

I knew his career was done the moment of contact. Just nauseating.

I sensed his career was done as well after the play, but months later when his arm looked to be a lifeless appendage in a sling, I felt even worse. The only play I recall that came close was then a Michigan TE and a Penn State LB? collided on the sideline around 1994. I do not think either one of those guys played again, but I am not sure if any permanent disability occurred.

Owens had access to some of the best medical care anywhere, outside the Mayo or Johns Hopkins, yet in the 2 years after the play there did not seem to be much progress.

Regardless of any football career I cannot imagine the impact of walking around with potentially disabled arm/shoulder at age 21 or 22, or even at my age today.

I really hope he has made some progress.

When I saw him he sort of reminded me of Brandon Owens, #20/32 who was badly injured during the 2005 game at Penn State.

Owens was more compact than Campbell, but he had the speed, agility and hitting ability that was often lacking at MN. Owens started at Safety but seemed to find a home at LB before that awful collision with Michael Robinson on the sideline.

Star Tribune story from 2007:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/11688951.html

And a Gopherhole thread from 2011:
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?30432-Brandon-Owens

Top Bottom