Devin Crawford-Tufts To Focus On T&F UPDATED: Crawford-Tufts no longer on T&F team

I am a DCT fan, so I am trying to think of this from a hopeful point of view, that he may be on the team again next season. Is this maybe a way of saving a year of eligibility for him? It would make sense for Kill to do that, but what about the scholarship. If DCT cannot keep his scholarship by leaving, is he getting a scholarship from the track team? Can DCT still practice with the football team? Would Kill keep DCT scholarship on the table for this year? Maybe this is just all a way to get another year of eligibility for DCT...he himself said he loves both sports, and wants to make both work.

Did DCT's Mom's friend have anything to do with this?

We have 11 scholarship receivers and 5 walk ons. As said has been said already, we have bodies but we don't have a clearcut rotation.

Exactly. We can debate how big of an impact the loss of DCT is but at the very least he was an experienced guy in a unit sorely lacking for experience. We have bodies and we have young guys that could develop but we also have a roster full of receivers who to this point in their Gopher careers have done nothing that would make a Big Ten defensive coordinator even take a serious look at them as a threat. Doesn't mean one of them won't emerge, Barker certainly came out of nowhere last year, but going into the season with a young QB it is not a recipe for success to have so little proven talent in the WR corps.

A lot is riding on McDonald keeping his head screwed on straight and Harbison coming back strong from his injury.

Can they give DCT's scholarship to Sr Engel for this season, and then give it back to him next year if he decides to play FB again?

I am a DCT fan, so I am trying to think of this from a hopeful point of view, that he may be on the team again next season. Is this maybe a way of saving a year of eligibility for him? It would make sense for Kill to do that, but what about the scholarship. If DCT cannot keep his scholarship by leaving, is he getting a scholarship from the track team? Can DCT still practice with the football team? Would Kill keep DCT scholarship on the table for this year? Maybe this is just all a way to get another year of eligibility for DCT...he himself said he loves both sports, and wants to make both work.

Please tell me you are kidding? This is not part of Kill's master plan, you don't take an experienced player from an unproductive unit and stash him for the future. This is DCT knowing he has a much brighter future in track than football so instead of getting himself killed on the football field he is going to train for his best sport and be healthy for it.

I was a big fan. But I respect his decision. His body, and he has goals outside of the football field. Good for him. As others have mentioned, I won't forget that Iowa game either. Thanks, DCT.

Please tell me you are kidding? This is not part of Kill's master plan, you don't take an experienced player from an unproductive unit and stash him for the future. This is DCT knowing he has a much brighter future in track than football so instead of getting himself killed on the football field he is going to train for his best sport and be healthy for it.

Gopherhole is so cool! Thank you for showing me you are a much smarter fan!

Seriously though, did DCT not say that he wants to make both sports work?

Gopherhole is so cool! Thank you for showing me you are a much smarter fan!

Seriously though, did DCT not say that he wants to make both sports work?

Wasn't really trying to go after you, was more reacting to the thought that this could somehow be part of Kill's master plan. Kill may have been involved in the decision but this is DCT doing what he thinks is best for his future (and he is probably right). I am sure Kill will take him back next year if he wants to come back but I don't think any football coach would tell a returning player to take a year off and focus on another sport. Especially at a need position with very few established players on the roster.

Wasn't really trying to go after you, was more reacting to the thought that this could somehow be part of Kill's master plan. Kill may have been involved in the decision but this is DCT doing what he thinks is best for his future (and he is probably right). I am sure Kill will take him back next year if he wants to come back but I don't think any football coach would tell a returning player to take a year off and focus on another sport. Especially at a need position with very few established players on the roster.

Well then focus more on the thought that this can save a year of eligibility for DCT, and asking if he is receiving a scholarship from the track team too, or if he is completely giving up a scholarship.

I have to mention there was a general groan from the Minnesota track community when DCT joined up for football and not track, simply because he was/is SO talented on the track. He's special, really special.
Best of luck to him, it will exciting to see how he progresses now that he can take off some weight and focus on his running. I'll say he's a B1G champ before it's said and done.

It's a bit concerning about our lack of experience at WR but I think we do have some talent.

Best of luck to DCT on the track. I say do what you love. Not everyone loves playing football. Also, playing 2 sports in college sounds cool but I'm guessing it's quite draining mentally and physically. Probably a combo of those 2 things led to the decision. I'm curious if he'll now have to pay some tuition. Most track scholarships are partial. He may be the exception.

It's a bit concerning about our lack of experience at WR but I think we do have some talent.

Best of luck to DCT on the track. I say do what you love. Not everyone loves playing football. Also, playing 2 sports in college sounds cool but I'm guessing it's quite draining mentally and physically. Probably a combo of those 2 things led to the decision. I'm curious if he'll now have to pay some tuition. Most track scholarships are partial. He may be the exception.

It does help that he is in-state, but I am guessing he will only get a 1/4 to a 1/2 scholarship.

Well then focus more on the thought that this can save a year of eligibility for DCT, and asking if he is receiving a scholarship from the track team too, or if he is completely giving up a scholarship.

It doesn't save a year of eligibility. If he participates in any NCAA sport it counts as a year.

As far as scholly, I'd be stunned if he didn't get one from the track team being he was so highly regarded. I personally doubt he would have dropped football if he didn't have one waiting for him in track, but I don't know his financial situation so obviously can't say for certain.

It doesn't save a year of eligibility. If he participates in any NCAA sport it counts as a year.

Yes and no. You can redshirt in one sport while competing in another. It would save a year of eligibility in football.

MN Daily: Crawford-Tufts no longer a member of track team
Gophers head coach Steve Plasencia confirmed the news on Saturday.

Devin Crawford-Tufts will not run track for the Gophers this season, head coach Steve Plasencia confirmed Saturday.

“He decided it would be better for him not to compete this year,” the head coach said. “He wants to concentrate on getting his degree and some of those things.”

“We had high hopes for him to be a real strong contributor in sprints,” Plasencia said.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/track-field/2014/01/30/crawford-tufts-no-longer-member-track-team

Go Gophers!!

Devin Crawford-Tufts will not run track for the Gophers this season, head coach Steve Plasencia confirmed Saturday.

“He decided it would be better for him not to compete this year,” the head coach said. “He wants to concentrate on getting his degree and some of those things.”

“We had high hopes for him to be a real strong contributor in sprints,” Plasencia said.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/track-field/2014/01/30/crawford-tufts-no-longer-member-track-team

Go Gophers!!

Very odd twist to the story. Is he coming back to football? Is he dropping out? Just strange all around.

Go Gophers!!

I would think this would be easier to do on scholarship.

Go Gophers!!

I heard he wanted to try the rowing team next. Excuse me, rowing club.

Go Gophers!!

There is definitely more to this story than "he wants to focus on his academics." Sounds like a cover up to me.

There is definitely more to this story than "he wants to focus on his academics." Sounds like a cover up to me.

Maybe he just doesn't love sports as much as necessary to be a big ten athlete.
It's possible he just wants to graduate without spending 40 hours per week training.

Maybe he just doesn't love sports as much as necessary to be a big ten athlete.
It's possible he just wants to graduate without spending 40 hours per week training.

It's possible. I'll go with that until I hear something reliable.

Perhaps in 6 months we will see a blurb about DCT quitting school to concentrate on getting up at 8:00 AM when his alarm goes off, followed by...

...January 2015: DCT announces he will no longer be getting up at 8:00 AM so he can focus his efforts on staying healthy
...July 2015: DCT announces he will no longer focus on his health and will instead ensure he is getting enough water.
...January 2016: DCT announces he will no longer prioritize water and will instead make sure he is breathing regularly.

Just back off with all the childish criticism of the young man.

It is his own personal decision, if he thinks it time to stop running around a track and concentrate on getting a degree in something he can make a living at, so be it. There are many things in this life that are much more important than sports. Even T&F is a full time job in college, I know many athletes that have walked away from scholarships so they could have the time to get a meaningful degree.

Maybe he was offered an opportunity at an internship that he couldn't pass on, or is taking a larger load of classes in order to graduate sooner. Track and Field is probably not where he wants to focus his life after school, so getting a degree I would think is far more important.

Top Bottom