Devan Marble Vows to Never Watch Iowa Basketball...I Agree With Him

I hate Iowa as much as the next guy, but after reading stories, the senior Marble didn't exactly lead a model life post college. Drugs, DUIs. and domestic abuse shouearn you a retired jersey.

He didn't lead a model life while in college, either. The Iowa athletic department paid for a rehab stint to Hazelden in Minnesota for Marble while he was a college player.

I think another issue was BJ Armstrong and Ed Horton were also classmates of Marble and also all-time greats. Horton was 1st Team all-Big Ten as a senior (not Marble) and Armstrong was the most popular of the three and the program's all-time assists leader upon graduation. I think Iowa figured it couldn't retire Marble's number all by itself, and probably didn't think all three could get retired, or deserved to be retired, at the time.

Last edited:

He didn't lead a model life while in college, either. The Iowa athletic department paid for a rehab stint to Hazelden in Minnesota for Marble while he was a college player.

I think another issue was BJ Armstrong and Ed Horton were also classmates of Marble and also all-time greats. Horton was 1st Team all-Big Ten as a senior (not Marble) and Armstrong was the most popular of the three and the program's all-time assists leader upon graduation. I think Iowa figured it couldn't retire Marble's number all by itself, and probably didn't think all three could get retired, or deserved to be retired, at the time.
I know it's easy to jump on Iowa as Gopher fans. But this isn't one of those times, imo.

Not to be political, but I think the Iowa AD is a victim of the times.

If I had an opinion on this, it would be discounted, so I am just stating it now.

Top Bottom