Devan Marble Vows to Never Watch Iowa Basketball...I Agree With Him

Marble needs to be more specific than that. Don't beat around the bush, say what's bothering you, otherwise we're here left to guess. Does he think Garza is getting too much love for breaking his dad's scoring record?

Garza’s number retired immediately.

Per AP:
Marble led Iowa to its only 30-win season and an NCAA regional final in 1987 and to the Sweet 16 the next year, and many consider him the program's best player ever. His No. 23 has not been retired.

Per AP:
Marble led Iowa to its only 30-win season and an NCAA regional final in 1987 and to the Sweet 16 the next year, and many consider him the program's best player ever. His No. 23 has not been retired.

Per AP:
Wow. Would be like retiring Murphy’s number immediately and not having some of the other greats from 30 years ago up there.
Big if true.

Sounds like they have their thumbs up their own asses down there.

“Iowa Athletics, in conjunction with the Iowa Varsity Club, have had different criteria over the years involving accomplishments, All-America recognition, individual awards, etc.,” the athletic department said in a statement. “Gary Barta and Iowa administration have been working towards a set of criteria that is more streamlined, in which exact awards and recognition are included. The top two priorities are individual National Player of the Year recognition, and consensus All-America recognition. Gary and Iowa administration will continue to work towards a more direct list of criteria that will be used moving forward.”

The AD said Marble didn't meet the criteria for having his number retired, whatever that may be.

That could mean he didn't graduate or something.

AD did apologize. Forever that's worth.

Per AP:
Garza is white.
The AD said Marble didn't meet the criteria for having his number retired, whatever that may be.

That could mean he didn't graduate or something.
Marble is not.

Same old Iowa.

Roy Marble had been in a few legal scrapes since his time on the court for the Hawkeyes - he was charged with domestic abuse and with substance abuse. Also, I believe he didn't have his degree, which I think is also an Iowa athletic department requirement for retiring a number.

Roy Marble had been in a few legal scrapes since his time on the court for the Hawkeyes - he was charged with domestic abuse and with substance abuse. Also, I believe he didn't have his degree, which I think is also an Iowa athletic department requirement for retiring a number.
Well, if you are going to use events that happen later in your life as criteria... Then it makes it even more insane that they give it to Garza before he even finishes playing for the school!

Also, one of the major accomplishments is breaking Marble's scoring record? If breaking the long standing record is worth it, but setting the long standing record is not? WTF.

I think it has to deal with getting all caught up in the current emotions of what is happening with Garza, without looking back at the historical significance of what they were doing. Another shortsighted example of anything happening right now is the GOAT no matter what has happen in the past.

Calling people you have never met and don't know racist is so popular with certain people these days. I couldn't imagine leveling charges like that at someone I don't know. I just find that so cowardly and self-serving. To each their own I guess.
I find your accusations offensive. Are you from Iowa?

I think the big reason is schools, coaches, AD's can't come out these days and say they don't approve of players leaving early or that leaving early tarnishes their legacy at the school. What they can do is do things like retire numbers or name awards after the guys who do come back. I am not saying it is right or wrong.

Are we pretending that there isn't a huge difference between Garza's career and Marble's career?

Jarrod Uthoff was second team All American. His number isn't retired.

Garza is 2X Big 10 Player of the Year. He'll be 2X All American. He will likely be Player of the Year. There is an incredibly big difference between Garza's career and Marble's.

Per AP:

I lived in Iowa then and was a big Iowa basketball fan who watched almost all of the games and I don't think it's quite accurate to say Marble "led them." I'd say the 30 win season was a team effort. That was by far the deepest college team I ever followed. They had 7 guys on that team who played in the NBA at least for some time and another player who was drafted despite announcing before the draft that he would not go to the NBA (he went into the armed services). Armstrong, Gamble, and Lohaus had NBA careers of some length. They had a couple of other guys who were solid college players who didn't get drafted. In the West Regional of the tournament that year, it was Armstrong and Gamble who made the all tournament team.

I lived in Iowa then and was a big Iowa basketball fan who watched almost all of the games and I don't think it's quite accurate to say Marble "led them." I'd say the 30 win season was a team effort. That was by far the deepest college team I ever followed. They had 7 guys on that team who played in the NBA at least for some time and another player who was drafted despite announcing before the draft that he would not go to the NBA (he went into the armed services). Armstrong, Gamble, and Lohaus had NBA careers of some length. They had a couple of other guys who were solid college players who didn't get drafted. In the West Regional of the tournament that year, it was Armstrong and Gamble who made the all tournament team.
This is a good post and helpful reminder about this really strong Iowa team. That team was stacked.

From my vantage point, publicly stating that Garza's number will be retired is entirely premature. There is no need to do this now except that the University of Iowa wants to capitalize on their fans' excitement with the goal of generating donations to the university and athletics program. It's also been effective in distracting from the massive anger issues facing head coach Fran McCaffery, who needs a lot of help.

I suppose another question is whether other Big Ten programs have prematurely retired a player's number? I don't recall any situation for which this is the case so I'm again drawn back to the idea that the University of Iowa is thirstily hoping to cash in on excitement about their player. While I want to be decent and fair, it's pretty clear that the University of Iowa is eagerly trying to generate money.

I think the big reason is schools, coaches, AD's can't come out these days and say they don't approve of players leaving early or that leaving early tarnishes their legacy at the school. What they can do is do things like retire numbers or name awards after the guys who do come back. I am not saying it is right or wrong.
I'm sure Iowa has their reasons for not retiring Marbles Jersey.

And yeah, I'm having a little fun with our hated rivals from the southern border and the rumors of the football team.

The optics have not aged well however.

I've never been a big fan of immediately retiring a player's jersey unless they died in an accident or something. Leaving room for them to continue their adulthood and make mistakes could backfire and leave an ugly stain on the institution.

Short of Roy Campanella or Kobe Bryant (who had his own skeletons) retiring jerseys should be delayed a few years.

This is a good post and helpful reminder about this really strong Iowa team. That team was stacked.

From my vantage point, publicly stating that Garza's number will be retired is entirely premature. There is no need to do this now except that the University of Iowa wants to capitalize on their fans' excitement with the goal of generating donations to the university and athletics program. It's also been effective in distracting from the massive anger issues facing head coach Fran McCaffery, who needs a lot of help.

I suppose another question is whether other Big Ten programs have prematurely retired a player's number? I don't recall any situation for which this is the case so I'm again drawn back to the idea that the University of Iowa is thirstily hoping to cash in on excitement about their player. While I want to be decent and fair, it's pretty clear that the University of Iowa is eagerly trying to generate money.

I believe this was the third time Iowa has retired a player's jersey number on a players' Senior Day, and the first for a white player. Ronnie Lester and Greg Stokes (both black) had their jerseys retired in their final season as players.

I believe this was the third time Iowa has retired a player's jersey number on a players' Senior Day, and the first for a white player. Ronnie Lester and Greg Stokes (both black) had their jerseys retired in their final season as players.

Interesting factoid, thank you. To be sure, Greg Stokes was a very good college player but his collegiate accomplishments didn't put him in the same class and Lester and Garza. I looked up Iowa's All Americans on Sports Reference. Garza is Iowa's first 1st Team All American since 1952 and he will be the only Iowa player in history to earn that honor twice so I would say that his early jersey retirement is justified.

And yeah, I'm having a little fun with our hated rivals from the southern border and the rumors of the football team.

I've never been a big fan of immediately retiring a player's jersey unless they died in an accident or something. Leaving room for them to continue their adulthood and make mistakes could backfire and leave an ugly stain on the institution.

Short of Roy Campanella or Kobe Bryant (who had his own skeletons) retiring jerseys should be delayed a few years.
Props for the Roy Campanella mention.

Oh I agree. I think retiring a number right after a player retires is way to reactionary and is very open to recency bias. One of the big reasons Hall of Fames usually have like 5 years after retirement before they consider entry.

I hate Iowa as much as the next guy, but after reading stories, the senior Marble didn't exactly lead a model life post college. Drugs, DUIs. and domestic abuse shouearn you a retired jersey.

Top Bottom