Detroit Free Press: How Michigan football plans to slow Minnesota's All-American Rashod Bateman

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Detroit Free Press:

“Really good football team," said Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh on Monday. "So many good players that are well coached. Rashod Bateman jumps out immediately. He’s so strong, he’s made so many strong, contested catches. Think he averaged over 20 yards per catch in 2019. He’s terrific.

"A real alpha type of guy and football player. Got a great challenge for us in the secondary."

Last fall, Minnesota was seventh in the nation in offensive efficiency while averaging 34.1 points and producing 3,293 yards passing (both school records). The architect of that attack, offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca, left for Penn State this offseason. Top receiver Tyler Johnson and leading rusher Rodney Smith both exhausted their eligibility.

But Bateman returned, as did quarterback Tanner Morgan, who had the second-highest passer efficiency rating (178.7) in the Big Ten last fall, completing 66% of his passes for 3,253 yards and 30 touchdowns and just seven interceptions.

"Really like their quarterback," Harbaugh said. "Tanner Morgan is very gifted, very savvy quarterback."

Go Gophers!!

After reading the article with an inexperience secondary for Michigan. I'm guessing we may either see more penalties than usual or perhaps more open receivers as they are shying away from making penalties. Of course this hinges on how sharp Morgan is in the cooler temps.

After reading the article with an inexperience secondary for Michigan. I'm guessing we may either see more penalties than usual or perhaps more open receivers as they are shying away from making penalties. Of course this hinges on how sharp Morgan is in the cooler temps.

Wisconsin's DB's last year played us physical to the point of probably getting away with a few no-calls, which obviously worked in their favor against our WR's for most of that game. With all of the inexperience in their secondary, I expect that's about the only way Michigan slows down Bateman in this game, as well.

Bateman will run from the slot more to get him freed up from the bump and mug defense that Michigan plans to play

When you open this link, there is an autoplay video that starts with a very odd closeup of Harbaugh. Intentional or unintentional?

Capture1.JPG

We're all homers here that appreciate CAB's ability more than everyone else, but the other staffs in the B10 are aware of it just as well. It'll be interesting to see if one of the talented freshman WR's gets a big opportunity right off the bat. Not only wouldn't the opposition be ready for it, it could make a precedent statement and loosen up a little of the pressure Bateman gets this season.

I fully expect that PJ is going to go up top early like he did in the Penn State and Wisconsin games and by the looks of it I expect that Crab is going to get the ball.

Top Bottom