Derek Burns’ class is in session

If you don’t subscribe to the Gopher Gridiron podcast, I highly recommend it. Derek is a guest on the game review episodes. His insight is great.

Last edited:

It is good stuff. Nice to see that the coaches are reacting right away and not waiting for halftime or the end of the game to adjust.

Thank you for posting. Excellent analysis, as always.

The offensive line and running backs underperformed. That's what I saw, too.
It was clearly O line

Didn’t have stats to quantify how much Mo was missed but pretty clear.

The run through linebackers in the run game was the clearest issue. Guards weren’t touching anyone.

It was clearly O line

Didn’t have stats to quantify how much Mo was missed but pretty clear.

The run through linebackers in the run game was the clearest issue. Guards weren’t touching anyone.

Potts is pretty slow for a B10 RB. Make him go sideways and he's got no chance

He doesn't read the blocking as well as Mo does. Mo is no speedster either, but Mo has great vision. And he's a load once he starts driving forward.

Yeah I think Williams would’ve been more effective than potts. Was disappointed.

If we were road grading potts is the answer. If we need to make something from nothing Williams more dynamic

Mo is unique. I'd be hard-pressed to name a back that he resembles.

I know I'd hate to have to tackle him.
Yes!
Guy has an incredibly low center of gravity.
I was at Georgia tech game and he is like a mike Alstott type to me.

Smaller than alstott but just a freak college player.

The running backs stat is even worse than i expected.

Losing the two transfers hurt.

The running backs stat is even worse than i expected.

Losing the two transfers hurt.

Don't panic. It was only one game. It's a long season, with lots of football remaining.

We have seen what this team and this coaching staff is capable of.

For perspective: Wisconsin — the preseason B1G West favorite — is looking for a new coach.

Don't panic. It was only one game. It's a long season, with lots of football remaining.

We have seen what this team and this coaching staff is capable of.

For perspective: Wisconsin — the preseason B1G West favorite — is looking for a new coach.
And the “best 3-9 team in the nation” is also lookin for a new coach!

Thoughts on the loss…

My biggest takeaway from the game. No missed tackles. As other have said....Mo rarely goes down with first contact. Potts and Williams went down the first time they were touched all game. It was easily the most confounding thing to me yesterday. How neither of these guys seemed to be able to make ANYTHING happen.....which is basically what Mo does every time he touches the ball.

Don't really understand his consistency/big play takeaway. Missing CAB and Mo didn't hurt our big play bailout potential. That's the consistency aspect that was missing. Mo picking up a chunk of yards on most carries is a far cry from the short to no gains we saw all game.

So how good is our passing game? Were receivers unable to get open? Was Morgan able to find receivers and deliver the ball on time? We shredded MSU, so what was Purdue doing to stop us? Will that be the defensive blueprint that the gophers will face going forward?

Williams getting stopped for no gain against a single defender in a big hole sent me through the roof.

Mo gets 20 on that play.

You can bet Illinois and PSU are looking at how Purdue chained the locks on the Gophers' run game. They had better figure out quickly how to make adjustments to counter what is coming at them in the next two games.

They have to design run games to complement the RB talent they have. Mo has incredible vision and knows how to let the play develop in front of his blockers and adjusts accordingly. Potts is a RUTM runner.

Taking a gamble on a fourth-down play on the opponent's end early in the game was an early momentum shifter.

The Gophers will figure it out.

Mo is unique. I'd be hard-pressed to name a back that he resembles.

I know I'd hate to have to tackle him.
Leroy Hoard. Hard, tough running at close quarters, will get you 3 yards when the team absolutely has to have 3 yards, and is deceptively fast if he gets out in the open.

Top Bottom