Depth Chart for the Michigan Game?

Otis

Reaction score
When will this come out?

I'm curious where we are at with the OL principally, but would like to see the other positions as well.

RB comes to mind.

When will this come out?

I'm curious where we are at with the OL principally, but would like to see the other positions as well.

RB comes to mind.

I feel like it usually gets released on Tuesdays, but that could have been in the past.

I would not expect much transparency from the depth chart this year - especially Week 1. PJ is going to try and keep it hidden until game time as far as exactly who is healthy and who else may have opted out. He said as much on his Gopher Weekly radio show last week

I feel like it usually gets released on Tuesdays, but that could have been in the past.

I would not expect much transparency from the depth chart this year - especially Week 1. PJ is going to try and keep it hidden until game time as far as exactly who is healthy and who else may have opted out. He said as much on his Gopher Weekly radio show last week
PJ channeling Bellichek, Will we see a sleeveless Gopher hoodie?

PJ channeling Bellichek, Will we see a sleeveless Gopher hoodie?

That would be quite a change in his gameday attire if he went full Bellichek. :)

Will be very interesting to finally get some clarity on who is in and out once the games actually get going. And not just at Minnesota, but across the conference.

That would be quite a change in his gameday attire if he went full Bellichek. :)

Will be very interesting to finally get some clarity on who is in and out once the games actually get going. And not just at Minnesota, but across the conference.
Would he be more likely to follow-up with-holding depth chart info with "We're on to Maryland" quotes or the sleeveless hoodie?

Is it very difficult to have eighteen to twenty OL on the roster like the upper Big Ten teams? Why do the Gophers only have fourteen?

Is it very difficult to have eighteen to twenty OL on the roster like the upper Big Ten teams? Why do the Gophers only have fourteen?
Because we have 25 wide receivers! (estimate)

i assume it’s because building quality depth takes time. I remember reading that when PJ got here, there were like 4 healthy OL on the roster. We also had a few misses/medical retirements in his first couple of years. Jack York, Kyle Sassack, Ben Davis, etc.

Now we have some quality in the trenches, but they are young and inexperienced. JJ Guedet, Axel Ruschmeyer, Tyler Cooper, etc.We also have Cameron James, Austin Barber, and Logan Purcell in the 2021 class. I think we’ll get there.

We'll lose RS SR Connor Olson and San Schlueter through graduation at the end of the season unless they are granted an extra year of eligibility due to Covid. I seriously doubt it. So, if a couple of other OLs declare, we will be in trouble.

We have three incoming OLs - Cameron James, Logan Purcell, and Austin Barber. They all appear to be solid guys. It will be nice to have a fourth OL.

We'll lose RS SR Connor Olson and San Schlueter through graduation at the end of the season unless they are granted an extra year of eligibility due to Covid. I seriously doubt it. So, if a couple of other OLs declare, we will be in trouble.

We have three incoming OLs - Cameron James, Logan Purcell, and Austin Barber. They all appear to be solid guys. It will be nice to have a fourth OL.
This is happening, it's been posted many times: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ports-athletes-to-retain-year-of-eligibility/

The NCAA Board of Governors took a landmark step on Friday by approving a measure that will grant an extra year of eligibility to all fall sports athletes. Even athletes who compete this fall will be eligible for an extra year under the rule, which was recommended earlier this week by the Division I Council. The extension of eligibility for fall athletes follows a similar measure approved by the NCAA earlier this year with spring athletes who had most of their 2020 seasons erased by the COVID-19 pandemic.

"All fall sport student-athletes will receive both and additional year of eligibility and an additional year in which to complete it," the NCAA said in a release. "Student-athletes who do not enroll full time during the 2020 fall term have flexibility in the progress-toward-degree requirements that must be met for eligibility in future terms."

So I guess it will be interesting to see how each team handles this extra year of eligibility. There will clearly be players who they don't have space for and will either graduate and retire from football or potentially grad transfer somewhere else for their final year or two. Then there will be guys who are ready to try for the NFL and leave eligibility on the table. But there will be a third group who falls into the sweet spot of being a contributing player who likely won't make the NFL, but is also interested in pursuing a master's degree that we can potentially benefit from having an extra year.

Now, the question of how any veteran players staying for a 5th or 6th year affects the younger players on the depth chart and their willingness to "wait their turn" for another year is a whole different ball of wax.

My guess is that the players who we encourage to stick around for another year will be few and far between. But the seniors on the offensive line *could* fall into that territory - especially if we lose Big Dan.

Let’s not forget Ersery, Lewis, and Lawrence from the 2020 class. In terms of folks who aren’t starters who could get meaningful reps next year, we’ll also return Guedet and Beier.

So I guess it will be interesting to see how each team handles this extra year of eligibility. There will clearly be players who they don't have space for and will either graduate and retire from football or potentially grad transfer somewhere else for their final year or two. Then there will be guys who are ready to try for the NFL and leave eligibility on the table. But there will be a third group who falls into the sweet spot of being a contributing player who likely won't make the NFL, but is also interested in pursuing a master's degree that we can potentially benefit from having an extra year.

Now, the question of how any veteran players staying for a 5th or 6th year affects the younger players on the depth chart and their willingness to "wait their turn" for another year is a whole different ball of wax.

My guess is that the players who we encourage to stick around for another year will be few and far between. But the seniors on the offensive line *could* fall into that territory - especially if we lose Big Dan.
In my opinion, any player who earns an undergraduate degree and then still has eligibility left after the initial five calendar year clock , should be exempt from counting against the scholarship max.

So it would only apply to players granted an extension to the clock of six (or more!) calendar years, and who earn their undergrad degree.

Would be a great incentive for those cases, in my opinion, and a fair rule, as this won't happen too often. Obviously with covid you'll have a glut, but to me would be a fair way to take care of the guys who do want to stay on for an extra year.

Wisconsin 18 OL 5 Walk-on
Iowa 20 OL 7 Walk-on
Minnesota 16 OL 3 Walk-on

We are really behind in the walk-on game, but we have the same scholarship olineman as Wisco and Iowa.

Be fun to beat Michigan with four small-town Minnesota guys out there with Marshall's Andries, Monticello's Olson, Victoria/Mayer Lutheran's Schlueter and Hutch/Holy Family's Ruschmeyer.

The age, experience and physical maturity up front is fantastic...
6th year Witham
5th year guys Schlueter, Olson, and Kieft
4th year guys Andries, Schmitz, Ruschmeyer, Paulson.
5th year guy Seth Green another big, mature body on that offense.

Be fun to beat Michigan with four small-town Minnesota guys out there with Marshall's Andries, Monticello's Olson, Victoria/Mayer Lutheran's Schlueter and Hutch/Holy Family's Ruschmeyer.

The age, experience and physical maturity up front is fantastic...
6th year Witham
5th year guys Schlueter, Olson, and Kieft
4th year guys Andries, Schmitz, Ruschmeyer, Paulson.
5th year guy Seth Green another big, mature body on that offense.
Hadn't thought about that. Hopefully that will encourage more guys to commit here.

I mean, not to be a pedantic prick or anything :cool: , but Monti is not really any different than STMA or Rogers and Victoria is closer than Waconia, which I would consider similar to Chanhassen.

I mean, not to be a pedantic prick or anything :cool: , but Monti is not really any different than STMA or Rogers and Victoria is closer than Waconia, which I would consider similar to Chanhassen.
Monti isn't really any further from Rogers as it is Duelm. In the same vein Victoria might as well be Cologne as it is Chan. So by the reverse transitive property they are all small town kids.

Does anyone have any clarity on scholarship limits going forward since players will have an extra year of eligibility? I don't recall seeing any explanation or plan from NCAA.

I haven't seen anything but it would make sense just to exempt all schools for one year for those players affected.

When will this come out?

RB comes to mind.
If the last couple years are any indication, the depth chart that is released will mean nothing.

I haven't seen anything but it would make sense just to exempt all schools for one year for those players affected.
It's not just seniors that are allowed the extra year, it's every player. So what about next year and the year after? Etc.

It's 5-6 year problem, if they do it stupid.

If the last couple years are any indication, the depth chart that is released will mean nothing.

It will show if we have any "Covid dropouts" and that I think is the biggest concern. While it won't show if Dunlop or Faalele are in game time shape or not (they could easily be placed as starters and replaced) it will show they are on the roster and will play at some point in time. I think the biggest concern for most Gopher faithful are who is here this year and who is not.

It will show if we have any "Covid dropouts" and that I think is the biggest concern. While it won't show if Dunlop or Faalele are in game time shape or not (they could easily be placed as starters and replaced) it will show they are on the roster and will play at some point in time. I think the biggest concern for most Gopher faithful are who is here this year and who is not.

As you said, the Opt Outs are really the only big thing the depth chart will show us. There have been rumors but the coverage of the teams has been so limited that it is really tough to know for sure who is in and who is out.

The depth chart will be released later this week, on a day ending in "y".

Maybe. IIRC, last year the depth chart stayed the same regardless of status, injury, etc. Maybe this year will be different. I'm skeptical.

Maybe. IIRC, last year the depth chart stayed the same regardless of status, injury, etc. Maybe this year will be different. I'm skeptical.

On a week to week basis I doubt we will have much info about who may or may not be quarantining but the Opt Outs should be clear after week 1 across the conference.

Is this what we are expecting?

QB:
4th year Morgan/Annexstad/Kramer or Clark
5th year Green still a power package with new OC?

RB:
4th year Ibrahim/ then question marks: Williams? Wiley? Potts? Williamson? true frosh Ky Thomas? Who can protect Morgan?

WR:
3rd year Bateman/Fourth year CAB/ then question marks: Seth? 5th year Geary? MBS? true frosh Jackson? true frosh Emilien? Potts as a receiving option? Spann Ford as rcvng option? Who best runs the slant?

TE:
Package dependent? Health status dependent? 4th year Paulson? 5th year Kieft? 3rd year Spann-Ford? 6th year Witham? New OC has different likes?

O-line:
5th year Schlueter, 5th year Olson, 4th year Schmitz, 4th year Ruschmeyer, 4th year Andries
Question marks on status: Dunlap? Faalele?
Depth: Boe, Beier, Guedet, Cooper...three true frosh???

Interior d-line:
6th year Micah Dew-Treadway. Then a lot of question marks: 4th year Schad? 4th year Teague? 4th year Hickcox? 2nd year Carter? 2nd year Cheney? 2nd year Anderson? Carter looked good late in year. Rossi runs a lot of situational packages.

Defensive ends:
4th year Boye Mafe, 4th year Otomewo...then a lot of question marks: 4th year Rush? rs frosh DV Harris, true frosh Redding, Joyner, Striggow or Keys?

new d-line coach has huge responsibility

Linebacker:
fourth year -Marin and then a lot of question marks...Oliver out....some combo of 3rd year Aune, 2nd year Gordon and Willis? maybe a true frosh: Burns, Brown, Lindenberg, Finnessy?

Corners: 4th year St. Juste and 5th year Durr...5th year Howard back-up?...4th year Harris back up?...Harris and Howard in nickel?....T Smith, who played as true frosh, but less last year, steps up? red shirt frosh Sol Brown?

Safeties: third year Howden....then a bunch of question marks: Nubin got run last year as true frosh, Swenson still around as 5th year vet, Sapp ready to step in in his fourth year? three true frosh: Dixon, Glaze and Dubar all have good size, good resumes.

Kicker: Lantz and Walker

Punter: the Aussie foootball rules guy, Crawford and MTSU grad transfer Stephenson

snapper Weeks and Vojvodich

Top Bottom