Denard Robinson Compared to Gray So Far

kuhlmanalex

Reaction score
First of all, I am not saying that Gray is better than or equal to Robinson, I just wanted to put it into perspective to those that are asking to yank Gray....still (which is baffling and I half think is just a bit to get people going)

Robinson 27-55 49% (including a 7-18 vs a mighty Eastern Mich defense today) for 531 yards. 6 TD and 4 INT.
50 carries for 352 yards and 2 TD's

Gray 34-65 52.3% for 468 yards. 3 TD and 2 INT
58 carries for 328 yards

and just for the heck of it here is:

Shortell 9-22 40.9% for 125 yards. 1 TD and 1 INT.
3 carries for 32 yards

So, even though Gray has sat I think approximately a half or so he has only 87 less total yards than Denard Robinson...I wonder if they are calling for Denard to get benched there.

I understand that stats don't show everything but many of you are so sold on the fact that Shortell is such a better passer yet he is only completing 40.9% of his passes. Granted its a small sample size and he has had drops, but every quarterback has drops built into his completion percentage. The other thing is that this isn't the NFL, so stop with the Gray will be a WR in the pros...cool, let him be one in the pros if he gets there.
Running ability is a huge factor in determining how good a college quarterback is and I just find it comical how people discount it and think that only passing stats matter. Do you think Auburn wins it last year without Cam running? Or Oregon is as good without the rushing ability of their quarterback? You don't need to be Andrew Luck to be a successful quarterback in college...and I think that for Kills system the running ability of the quarterback is even more important. Just my two cents worth on trying to convince people that quarterback is the last position on this team that we need to worry about...far behing: OLine, Running Back, Secondary, Pass Rush, etc...

A couple things to think about regarding Gray:

1. The O-Line and Running game have given him very little help so far. I feel like we are pretty one dimensional right now with Gray being our only real threat on the ground. Hopefully as the O-line develops and the younger RB's get more time Gray will be more composed.

2. Having Gray at QB gives opposing defenses a lot more variables to prepare for. I like the different looks we showed today, even if they weren't all successful those are just more things defenses have to account for.

3. Gray is improving and that's all we can hope for from a guy learning a new offense and playing QB for the first time in 3 years. I noticed a huge difference in his decisiveness today. His decisions were quick and usually the right ones. And how about ZERO turnovers today! That's huge and I hope he keeps that up.

Denard Robinson has 16 career starts, Gray has 3. Let's see how they compare next year at this time.

Gray has gotten better every game. Once he can settle down and improve his accuracy in the 10-20 yard range he will be scary good.

Plus Robinson has done it against B1G teams last year. Robinson has had a big game against ND an opponent far better then who we played. Gray would have to do what he did ysterday against USC to have a talk like this. Gray is fresh, give it time before we compare him to Robinson. I will say Gray looks just as quick plus he weighs twice as much!

Let's not forget that other pesky stat:

Denard Robinson: 3-0

M. Gray: 1-2

Okay, in all seriousness, Gray will continue to improve as he becomes more comfortable and more familiar with the offense. I really think in this offense, Limegrover and company will continue to find ways to put Gray in positions to be successful. As he improves and develops, Gray will make this offense his own and I think he'll be really good. But the notion that he will magically become an accurate passer as time passes is ridiculous.

Let's not forget that other pesky stat:

Denard Robinson: 3-0

M. Gray: 1-2

Okay, in all seriousness, Gray will continue to improve as he becomes more comfortable and more familiar with the offense. I really think in this offense, Limegrover and company will continue to find ways to put Gray in positions to be successful. As he improves and develops, Gray will make this offense his own and I think he'll be really good. But the notion that he will magically become an accurate passer as time passes is ridiculous.

Lets also not forget that pesky little item of talent around him.

The thing that sticks out to me about Gray is that he is slow to recognition of when a receiver is open or about to be open. Hopefully with experience he will be able to recognize these things sooner. A lot of times when he took off running there were receivers open. However, there were also a lot of times that the rush was there so quick that a different QB would have been sacked. So with the state of the O-line right now I think Gray is just what we need. As they improve ... so will he.

This team will definitely get better as they develop more rythm and and once they start getting Kill's football down. Lack of talent or not, they are due to upset someone in the latter part of the schedule. Gray and Shortell will definitely be better next season.

Top Bottom