Demir

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
I've got to be honest. I thought Demir was going to be another train wreck grad transfer and was for the first few games. He had a nice game last night. Made some nice shots in the post, some good rebounds, and played D fairly well.

Couple things to improve one.
Box out... saw him ball watching a few times
Open 3s … take them for F sakes
He's not very strong... period.

I expect more from him as a sr. He makes a lot of dumb passes and doesnt do the little things like boxing out

Not too bad of a role player...started off pretty slow and improved

He would have been really solid as a bit player off the bench. Because of Curry's injury, we have had to lean on him more than we should.

I like his game quite a bit. I think if the team had a really good 5th and 6th player to go along with Gabe, Oturu, Carr, and Demir they would be a tournament team.

I still think this team would be better if Demir and willis came off the bench with their scoring punch. But I have seen an improvement in finishing by Demir.

He's a role player and should have been viewed that way all along. He has limitations on defense but has been pretty solid overall. He is certainly much better than some of the posters claiming he wasn't a D1 player after seeing him play one game.

He's a role player and should have been viewed that way all along. He has limitations on defense but has been pretty solid overall. He is certainly much better than some of the posters claiming he wasn't a D1 player after seeing him play one game.

He's fundamentally sound. People are complaining about him not boxing out. I saw only the last five minutes of the game but when the Mich State player dunked that missed shot (by Winston I believe), Alihan did box out (the other Mich State forward). Omersa, in his usual energetic headless horseman way, failed to box out the player who had the put back.

But I have seen an improvement in finishing by Demir.

+1. His finishing was bad for the first several games. He got in good position and put up decent shots, but he never got the bounce. I don't know if he didn't have good spin on his shot, didn't put it up soft enough, or what he did wrong, but he could not finish. It has improved the last couple games though.

Solid player lacks physicality even we he gets rebound position at times he can’t sustain it. Playing better though he has some ball skills which gives better spacing for Oturo.

Damn important player. Very rare for a team to have guys that good below 4th or 5th best. The staff likes how he plays with others.
I don't know how you can predict the Gophers to win 13-14 games in the B1G and say that Demir is a great 5th player. Demir is not good enough to be a starter on a good B1G team. He should be coming off the bench on a top team.

Last night was nice real patient with his low post moves. Nice drop step move to his strong hand and a nice counter move to the off hand. Ran the floor and finished one as well.

I don't know how you can predict the Gophers to win 13-14 games in the B1G and say that Demir is a great 5th player. Demir is not good enough to be a starter on a good B1G team. He should be coming off the bench on a top team.
badger has taken this position so he has his out...…….dishonest

Demir is decent offensively as the 4th /5th option. Much like Joey King, he struggles on defense and rebounding. He is defininitely not a great 4th/5th option in those facets.

Last night was nice real patient with his low post moves. Nice drop step move to his strong hand and a nice counter move to the off hand. Ran the floor and finished one as well.
His low posts moves last night were really good. He is plenty strong enough for the B1G. He back downed the player guarding him and was able to get close to the basket for easy scores.

I think he's been fine in recent games. Not a dominant player by any means but he's efficient and plays well with others (doesn't need the ball in his hands, doesn't care about how many shots he gets).

Can’t agree with your assessment. In my eyes, Demir was one of the reasons we lost last night. Bad passes, no defense, turnovers. He isn’t much better than Hurt. His scholarship is a complete waste. Apparently he was the best we could find. Sad

Can’t agree with your assessment. In my eyes, Demir was one of the reasons we lost last night. Bad passes, no defense, turnovers. He isn’t much better than Hurt. His scholarship is a complete waste. Apparently he was the best we could find. Sad

His defensive and rebounding efforts were bad against MSU plus the terrible turnovers. Bad game for him.

In that case your personal assessment does not comport with reality

Complete waste? He gets more minutes nearly every game ahead of 7 other scholarship players, so those are wasted too? I mean he's here for one year and is producing at the level we need, the lack of offense from our guards lost that game more than demir

Gabe not being able to do much besides be a spot up shooter really hurts him. And if his shot is off, he's just really not a part of the offensive game. I wish he would work on taking the ball to the basket some more. It's a shame that if his 3's aren't going on, he's basically just a defensive player and doesn't add much else. Very streaky.

As for the subject of this post, Demir. He'd be a great backup type player and he's been MUCH better than he started the year like. That said, meh on his overall game.

I think our terrible bench (hurt) make him look better than he actually is, but I'll take him.

I think our terrible bench (hurt) make him look better than he actually is, but I'll take him.

You've come around? You were one of his biggest critics at the start of the year.

"What are you talking about? Can you read? My comment was in response to Demir. If you or anyone think he has the chance to be a good player you should not be allowed behind a vehicle!" --kix4kix

Not even close to being correct. He's a lot better than Hurt and has been getting better (I like his rebounding better than some it seems). He should be a bench guy like many have said though. That is on the coach.

Not sure what you are referring to, his 5/8 shooting, ten points, and eight rebounds I just don't see as losing the game, he may have given up some rebounds but so did Omersa and Oturu, with his athletic limitations I'd say he played a pretty good game. He wasn't the only one covering Tillman and none of Winston points could be attributed to his play.

Top Bottom