Delaware moving to FBS, joining Conference USA

NDSU fans must be melting down.

FCS is barely even worth winning at this point. Who’s even left? Big Sky & Dakota fest.

NDSU fans must be melting down.

FCS is barely even worth winning at this point. Who’s even left? Big Sky & Dakota fest.
I'm not even seeing a mention over on Bisonville.

but here's the real kicker to the story - Delaware has to pony up $5-million for the privilege of moving up to FBS. from Bleacher Report:

Delaware will reportedly become the first school to pay the $5 million application fee to move from the FCS to FBS and will join Conference USA in the 2025-26 season, per Brett McMurphy of the Action Network.
The application fee to move up to the top level of college football was previously $5,000.
Pete Thamel of ESPN added that Delaware and Conference USA have "been in talks and a decision is expected to be formalized in the upcoming days."

and my question - where does that money go? the conference? the NCAA? Hookers and Blow?

Delaware should have moved up many years ago, actually

but here's the real kicker to the story - Delaware has to pony up $5-million for the privilege of moving up to FBS. from Bleacher Report:

Delaware will reportedly become the first school to pay the $5 million application fee to move from the FCS to FBS and will join Conference USA in the 2025-26 season, per Brett McMurphy of the Action Network.
The application fee to move up to the top level of college football was previously $5,000.
Pete Thamel of ESPN added that Delaware and Conference USA have "been in talks and a decision is expected to be formalized in the upcoming days."

and my question - where does that money go? the conference? the NCAA? Hookers and Blow?
Good question. $5000 seems way too low, but $5 million is pretty insane. It seems they did that to discourage teams from moving up.

I think we need another Bowl ASAP to accommodate Delaware.

I'm not even seeing a mention over on Bisonville.
There is now (because Its me). They were asking about Gophers recruiting Max Brosmer so I responded and asked their thoughts on Delaware. I live here so I have an account and follow Bisonville.

Good question. $5000 seems way too low, but $5 million is pretty insane. It seems they did that to discourage teams from moving up.
Once it became clear the CFP was going to be expanding, most FCS programs started looking at moving FBS.

I think we need another bowl to piss off negative people
Those negative people with regards to Bowl proliferation probably feel that way due to:

- Greater emphasis on the Playoff (even more in 2024 expanding to 12 team field)
- Expanded 12 game scheduled allowed 6-6 teams to be eligible
- Still not enough teams to fill out the Field
- Very few matchups with both teams having at least 8 Ws
- Burnout after a 12 game season plus Conference Championship Weekend
- Allowed to count a game vs an FCS team as a win, further devaluing .500 Season
- Transfer portal & Opt-Outs for the NFL Draft can have a significant impact on the roster
- Coaches not sticking around for the games
- Makeshift baseball park venues

That's not even addressing Conference Realignment and NIL which has an impact on NCAA football as a whole.

But hey, those that want more Bowls knock yourselves out. Let's get those Hens Bowling ASAP!

A personal aversion to the Quantity of Bowls is there are so many games that filling out a Bowl Pick 'Em sheet for a Pool is too time consuming. That along with roster-coaching uncertainty and ability to assess a teams motivation to play in them make it a crapshoot. That's just me.

Those negative people with regards to Bowl proliferation probably feel that way due to:

- Greater emphasis on the Playoff (even more in 2024 expanding to 12 team field)
- Expanded 12 game scheduled allowed 6-6 teams to be eligible
- Still not enough teams to fill out the Field
- Very few matchups with both teams having at least 8 Ws
- Burnout after a 12 game season plus Conference Championship Weekend
- Allowed to count a game vs an FCS team as a win, further devaluing .500 Season
- Transfer portal & Opt-Outs for the NFL Draft can have a significant impact on the roster
- Coaches not sticking around for the games
- Makeshift baseball park venues

But hey, those that want more Bowls knock yourselves out. Let's get those Hens Bowling ASAP!

A personal aversion to the Quantity of Bowls is there are so many games that filling out a Bowl Pick 'Em sheet for a Pool is too time consuming. That along with roster-coaching uncertainty and ability to assess a teams motivation to play in them make it a crapshoot. That's just me.
Lol, guy who spends time on here says bowl pickem sheet takes too much time 😂😂

Lol, guy who spends time on here says bowl pickem sheet takes too much time 😂😂
Touché.

Though the time spent for ranking "confidence" on several dozen contests is not justified based on the low-level of enjoyment I get from the games themselves.

The roster uncertainty (ie Gophers-Athan) make it akin to a dart throwing contest. No appeal for me. Those that enjoy, have a blast.

Last edited:

Delaware used to be the only FCS school in the Super Bowl champion QB/President Club.

Now it is 2 P5 and 3 G5 schools in the club

The 2 P5 schools are Michigan and Stanford

The 3 G5 schools are now Delaware, Miami (OH) and Navy

Top Bottom