Delany on Rutgers/Maryland: "in a 25-year or 50-year period, I think they’re going to be very competitive."

So in year 50, you’re saying there’s a chance Rutgers could be 6-6 in the B1G. Nice. I can’t wait.​

I think I'm 25-50 years Gustavus could become very competitive in the big ten, does that mean we should add them too?

Yeah, I'm sure Coyle is just sweating buckets that Rutgers and Maryland aren't winning the conference championship in football .... when Minnesota is getting $50M checks from the Big Ten every year.

Forrest. Trees. Some people need their vision checked.

Who cares but think of it, somebody said we would be crappy for 50 years and well it came true. Do not know who that was but I know it was said.

Well, they entered in 2014... The window is down to 20-45 years.

Build top-notch facilities, and hire the best coaches you can afford.

That's all anyone can do. We did that, look at us now. Rutgers and Maryland can do the exact same thing, and will use their Big Ten money to do it.

By switching a wide receiver from LSU, Maryland now has a top 20 class. Now where is it we rank?

By switching a wide receiver from LSU, Maryland now has a top 20 class. Now where is it we rank?
I want you to link me anywhere that has them as a top 20 class, cause their composite ranking is 27 right now.

How did Jim Delaney convince at least 9 of the 12 Big 10 members (Pretty sure that was the minimum standard for admission) that Rutgers delivers the NYC or even NJ tv markets?

It’s one thing for one person to have a goofy idea like Rutgers bringing TV markets. But when 12 people, especially 12 university presidents, gather and make votes, I’d hope a larger sample size of voters would shoot down crazy ideas like that.

How did Jim Delaney convince at least 9 of the 12 Big 10 members (Pretty sure that was the minimum standard for admission) that Rutgers delivers the NYC or even NJ tv markets?

It’s one thing for one person to have a goofy idea like Rutgers bringing TV markets. But when 12 people, especially 12 university presidents, gather and make votes, I’d hope a larger sample size of voters would shoot down crazy ideas like that.
Yep, Coyle has to just be livid with the $50M per year that the Big Ten is able Minnesota, because of Rutgers and Maryland being in the conference.

What a silly post

Ummm, it's easy?

"Lots of Rutgers Alumni in NJ and NY, plus lots of alumni from across the Big Ten live in those areas. Adding Rutgers means BTN will be part of cheaper TV packages which would result in an increase in folks paying for and watching BTN"

Maryland has had its ups and downs lately, but have had some successful periods in the past. I think the Terps are well positioned to settle into the middle of the Big Ten pack, having a very good season every now and then to grab a Gator Bowl or Holiday Bowl level bowl bid and being in that 7-5 (4-5) range to get mid level to lower bowl bids. There will also be the occasional 4-8 type season that tests the patience of the fans. Their arrival to the Big Ten has happened to coincide with a nearly unprecedented level of instability in the head coach position. Randy Edsall was fired during the 2015 season. DJ Durkin was fired ahead of the 2018 in the fallout of that player dying. Mike Locksley had a tough first season in 2019. If they can settle things down, they'll start to come good.

Rutgers could wind up being an entirely different story. Despite the fancy sounding name, this school is effectively New Jersey State. However, despite having a large enrollment, New Jersey being a pretty good state for producing players for college football, and the close proximity to other big high school football areas, the Scarlet Knights have never been able to put together a sustained run of success other than Greg Schiano's first tenure and the carryover to Kyle Flood for a few seasons, a stint that effectively got the program into the Big Ten. Before Schiano, they had only one bowl bid in their history, back in the defunct Garden State Bowl in 1978 when they got the spot in great part to sell tickets at Giants Stadium. They are way behind the rest of the conference for facilities and seem resistant to catching up. It's hard to see how they're going to get back to a position of being competitive on a regular basis.

When they get their Big Ten money, they will build equivalent facilities to everyone else in the Big Ten.

Yep, Coyle has to just be livid with the $50M per year that the Big Ten is able Minnesota, because of Rutgers and Maryland being in the conference.

What a silly post

Lol if you think the $50 million per year from the BTN is because of Rutgers.

Top Bottom