Deja Vu all over again with PJ

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
Two years ago I posted the following. And now here we are.

As an aside, Arsenal is the EPL team we went with and that’s working out. Still need to change my best in terms of divesting myself emotionally from the Gophers under PJ.

From 2021:

A veteran QB two years removed from one of, if not the best, season a Gopher QB has had in the last 50 years. The most experienced O-line we will likely ever have. A veteran D-Line going 8 deep. Talented transfers at WR and LB positions and what looks to be a future game-changer at CB. One of the best RBs we’ve had, with a ton of depth behind him where we can send in highly recruited players when he goes down.

Additionally, we dodge Michigan, PSU, MSU and play OSU the best time to play them – first game of the year and the first start for their QB. Also down years for our biggest rivals – we play Iowa while they have a QB making his first start ever, Wisky is experiencing in-season transfers and some QB issues, and Nebraska is a hot mess. NW is one of their down swings. Everything is set up for us to win the West.

We also have a coach who I believe wants to be here. He cares about the school, community, and our traditions. This isn’t Mason, who never really wanted to be here, and it showed when it came to his recruiting, his indifference towards the “trinket” games (his words, not mine), or the other teams fans tearing down our goalposts. To his credit, our coach has raised expectations and allowed us to get our hopes up about the Gophers in ways many of us haven’t done before.

Then we lose at home to 31 and 14.5 underdogs. We also refuse to win a game Iowa begs us to take.

Why? Not because we aren’t talented. Not because we are playing in an off-campus stadium devoid of any excitement. Rather our coach is maddeningly conservative and simply refuses to learn from previous gaffes.

The biggest game in his coaching career, with a chance to make a statement against WI, and he chooses to punt on 4th and 2 from the WI 37. He watches WI convert multiple 4th downs and go on to win the game. Did he learn from that? We have not had a lead against Iowa for 250+ consecutive minutes. We have a chance to break that streak early in the game on a 4th and goal from the 2. We elect to kick a FG to tie the game 3-3. Later, Iowa goes for it on 4-1 in their territory to extend a drive and kill more clock.

In a game against Maryland this year, we refuse to try to score a TD before the half and our coach admits to playing for a FG. He uses the same strategy against Iowa and those four points change the game. He admits in his post-game presser he was afraid of taking a sack and making it a longer FG attempt. Mind you, we were at the IA 15. A sack still leaves us well within FG range. The 32-yard drive took over 4 minutes before the half expired.

Against Bowling Green our best WR goes out of the game early, and our coach decides to “really simplify the game plan , really quick”, as if the difference in talent between the worst team in the MAC and the Gophers comes down to that one player.

While losing in the fourth quarter, we continue to bleed the clock to the point where we get a delay of game penalty. On 3rd and 2. On a must-have two-point conversion, we call a pass to a receiver short of the end-zone, giving us three trips into the red zone and a two-point attempt where we fail to even try to throw into the end zone. We consistently refuse to catch or field punts or return kickoffs, again fitting into an overall conservative mindset that permeates everything we do.

Even more maddening is this isn’t who our coach appears to be outside of gameday. He is energetic, creative, and isn’t afraid to put himself out there. Coming up with Row the Boat opens himself up to all kinds of criticism and pot-shots, but he isn’t afraid and steers into it.

Everything is there, with the exception of the easiest thing to have: the most basic in-game decision making. Problem is, it doesn’t appear as though it is ever going to change. PJ talks about his ACT score of 18, and how, while one of his players is going to be an actuary, he doesn’t know what an actuary is, or how another is planning to specialize in a specific branch of medicine, and he has no idea what it is and barely got by biology. I believe him. I have watched him refuse to learn lessons over and over and over again.

My wife, friends, girlfriends, regulars at the bar, etc. don’t want to hear me talk about this irrelevant team anymore. That leaves me with this message board and the fact I feel compelled to type this has me thinking I need to divest my investment in Gopher football. I did the same with the Vikings after 2009 and I am a free man at 4:00 EST today. I have already cancelled the family trip to Bloomington next week and am no longer holding off on travel plans to see where the team might be playing a bowl game. I am afraid we may have reached our ceiling with PJ. Bielema or Ferentz would have won these past two games with either team. It doesn’t appear having more talent and catching some luck (we caught some of that yesterday) is enough to overcome the decisions and mindset and nothing is going to change our coach’s ways. I have tickets for the WI game. Give me more proof you have taken us as far as you are capable of and I’ll have to find an EPL team to go in on. Soccer looks fun – well at least watching the game at the bar on Saturday morning looks fun.

And it was a stupid thread two years ago too

Start another thread too.

PJ fleck is John guteskust thread
PJ fleck is Joe Salem
PJ Fleck is Wes Fesler
PJ Fleck is Dennis green

Athan does not throw a catchable ball. The gophers have not addressed the quarterback position in 6 years! Tanner wasn't the answer and neither is Athan. We are so Vanilla and predictable, but that is because of our quarterback not being that good.

As an aside, Arsenal is the EPL team we went with and that’s working out. Still need to change my best in terms of divesting myself emotionally from the Gophers under PJ.

From 2021:

A veteran QB two years removed from one of, if not the best, season a Gopher QB has had in the last 50 years. The most experienced O-line we will likely ever have. A veteran D-Line going 8 deep. Talented transfers at WR and LB positions and what looks to be a future game-changer at CB. One of the best RBs we’ve had, with a ton of depth behind him where we can send in highly recruited players when he goes down.

Additionally, we dodge Michigan, PSU, MSU and play OSU the best time to play them – first game of the year and the first start for their QB. Also down years for our biggest rivals – we play Iowa while they have a QB making his first start ever, Wisky is experiencing in-season transfers and some QB issues, and Nebraska is a hot mess. NW is one of their down swings. Everything is set up for us to win the West.

We also have a coach who I believe wants to be here. He cares about the school, community, and our traditions. This isn’t Mason, who never really wanted to be here, and it showed when it came to his recruiting, his indifference towards the “trinket” games (his words, not mine), or the other teams fans tearing down our goalposts. To his credit, our coach has raised expectations and allowed us to get our hopes up about the Gophers in ways many of us haven’t done before.

Then we lose at home to 31 and 14.5 underdogs. We also refuse to win a game Iowa begs us to take.

Why? Not because we aren’t talented. Not because we are playing in an off-campus stadium devoid of any excitement. Rather our coach is maddeningly conservative and simply refuses to learn from previous gaffes.

The biggest game in his coaching career, with a chance to make a statement against WI, and he chooses to punt on 4th and 2 from the WI 37. He watches WI convert multiple 4th downs and go on to win the game. Did he learn from that? We have not had a lead against Iowa for 250+ consecutive minutes. We have a chance to break that streak early in the game on a 4th and goal from the 2. We elect to kick a FG to tie the game 3-3. Later, Iowa goes for it on 4-1 in their territory to extend a drive and kill more clock.

In a game against Maryland this year, we refuse to try to score a TD before the half and our coach admits to playing for a FG. He uses the same strategy against Iowa and those four points change the game. He admits in his post-game presser he was afraid of taking a sack and making it a longer FG attempt. Mind you, we were at the IA 15. A sack still leaves us well within FG range. The 32-yard drive took over 4 minutes before the half expired.

Against Bowling Green our best WR goes out of the game early, and our coach decides to “really simplify the game plan , really quick”, as if the difference in talent between the worst team in the MAC and the Gophers comes down to that one player.

While losing in the fourth quarter, we continue to bleed the clock to the point where we get a delay of game penalty. On 3rd and 2. On a must-have two-point conversion, we call a pass to a receiver short of the end-zone, giving us three trips into the red zone and a two-point attempt where we fail to even try to throw into the end zone. We consistently refuse to catch or field punts or return kickoffs, again fitting into an overall conservative mindset that permeates everything we do.

Even more maddening is this isn’t who our coach appears to be outside of gameday. He is energetic, creative, and isn’t afraid to put himself out there. Coming up with Row the Boat opens himself up to all kinds of criticism and pot-shots, but he isn’t afraid and steers into it.

Everything is there, with the exception of the easiest thing to have: the most basic in-game decision making. Problem is, it doesn’t appear as though it is ever going to change. PJ talks about his ACT score of 18, and how, while one of his players is going to be an actuary, he doesn’t know what an actuary is, or how another is planning to specialize in a specific branch of medicine, and he has no idea what it is and barely got by biology. I believe him. I have watched him refuse to learn lessons over and over and over again.

My wife, friends, girlfriends, regulars at the bar, etc. don’t want to hear me talk about this irrelevant team anymore. That leaves me with this message board and the fact I feel compelled to type this has me thinking I need to divest my investment in Gopher football. I did the same with the Vikings after 2009 and I am a free man at 4:00 EST today. I have already cancelled the family trip to Bloomington next week and am no longer holding off on travel plans to see where the team might be playing a bowl game. I am afraid we may have reached our ceiling with PJ. Bielema or Ferentz would have won these past two games with either team. It doesn’t appear having more talent and catching some luck (we caught some of that yesterday) is enough to overcome the decisions and mindset and nothing is going to change our coach’s ways. I have tickets for the WI game. Give me more proof you have taken us as far as you are capable of and I’ll have to find an EPL team to go in on. Soccer looks fun – well at least watching the game at the bar on Saturday morning looks fun.
You were nailing one solid point after another...and then you invalidated everything by bringing up soccer.

Athan does not throw a catchable ball. The gophers have not addressed the quarterback position in 6 years! Tanner wasn't the answer and neither is Athan. We are so Vanilla and predictable, but that is because of our quarterback not being that good.
AK started 9-9. Agree on the conservative predictable offensive gameplan.

AK is 55% completion percentage for the year....NOT GOOD....He throws a hard, flat ball that doesn't allow receivers to adjust. He is a 1 read quarterback which is ok, but he doesn't and or is not allowed to deviate and run.. Just what I see....

And he finished 14-19. That's one of the most aggravating things about last Saturday's debacle. AK was maligned and second guessed after the first three games but he was having his best game of the season when he was handcuffed. We didn't get to a 21 point lead in the 3rd quarter simply from rushing Darius.

Okay now go back and post all the times aggressive play cost the team and all the times conservative play paid off. Sick of the play to win crowd that just assumes being aggressive will pay off, should’ve gone for it because obviously we would have gotten it.

This top post may seem overwrought, unnecessarily loquacious, and self-congratulatory but the central theme is undeniably valid.

This one just feels different. Fleck didn't have a 31 point lead against Bowling Green and Iowa late in the 3rd quarter. Darius had an outstanding game to that point but the whole offense was clicking pretty well. Way too early to make the offense one dimensional when the defense (despite giving up only 10 points at that point) appeared to be a bit more vulnerable to the pass that usual. Fleck could afford to take some risks at that point. There's a limit to how many 30 or 40 yard runs you can expect from your bell cow running back. Athan was having his best game of the season and at least the second best game of his short career. Fleck simply doesn't trust many players outside of his defense and #1 RB enough.

I also wondered if a debacle of this magnitude would chasten Fleck into abandoning the rigidity of his well-known tendencies. The OP says "no" and I don't have anything to refute that.

We came out throwing in the second half on the first two drives, minus first down of the second drive. Both resulted in punts. Third drive we went ground and got a TD.

Not that the main point isn't valid, (Chip Scoggins has written about it much more effeciently) but you're on the verge of bailing out two years ago and here you still are; upset and threatening to bail again. And European soccer is the satisfying alternative? Kind of like hitting yourself in the face to make a point, IMO.

We came out throwing in the second half on the first two drives, minus first down of the second drive. Both resulted in punts. Third drive we went ground and got a TD.

One should never make a firm decision based on limited samples. The passing game had been working pretty well until then. The same logic could be applied to the run. Just because a running back has several long runs doesn't mean he's going to have four or five more and carry the team by himself the rest of the game.

One should never make a firm decision based on limited samples. The passing game had been working pretty well until then. The same logic could be applied to the run. Just because a running back has several long runs doesn't mean he's going to have four or five more and carry the team by himself the rest of the game.
Just saying it doesn’t make sense to blame the loss on the offense shying away from the pass. Zero evidence to suggest that leaning on the pass would’ve worked better.

This top post may seem overwrought, unnecessarily loquacious, and self-congratulatory but the central theme is undeniably valid.

This one just feels different. Fleck didn't have a 31 point lead against Bowling Green and Iowa late in the 3rd quarter. Darius had an outstanding game to that point but the whole offense was clicking pretty well. Way too early to make the offense one dimensional when the defense (despite giving up only 10 points at that point) appeared to be a bit more vulnerable to the pass that usual. Fleck could afford to take some risks at that point. There's a limit to how many 30 or 40 yard runs you can expect from your bell cow running back. Athan was having his best game of the season and at least the second best game of his short career. Fleck simply doesn't trust many players outside of his defense and #1 RB enough.

I also wondered if a debacle of this magnitude would chasten Fleck into abandoning the rigidity of his well-known tendencies. The OP says "no" and I don't have anything to refute that.
Too trusting of the defense. I expect that trust was lost forever in the fourth quarter.

Not that the main point isn't valid, (Chip Scoggins has written about it much more effeciently) but you're on the verge of bailing out two years ago and here you still are; upset and threatening to bail again. And European soccer is the satisfying alternative? Kind of like hitting yourself in the face to make a point, IMO.
Correct: I mentioned I need to change my best in terms of divesting myself emotionally from the Gophers under PJ.

But I have bailed considerably relative to where I was in 2021.

Watching English soccer in a pub with a bunch of your buddies on a sat or sun morning is pretty fun and I recommend it. Plus, I easily move on with my day if Arsenal loses. All of the camaraderie and fun, none of the emotional investment and heartache.

From 2021:

You should find a new team. I think it would benefit all of us. And way to go out on a limb choosing Arsenal. Maybe pick the Yankees as your baseball team too?

Last edited:

My wife, friends, girlfriends,

Dude, and you still have time to watch football and post on here?
Su weet!
Well, we know someone who doesn't have a 250+ minute scoreless streak. What it was playing from behind? I'm not touching that one.

Did we ever break that streak against Iowa? (Not leading in a game).

You should find a new team. I think it would benefit all of us. And way to go out on a limb choosing Arsenal. Maybe pick the Yankees as your baseball team too?
Yeah, ya hear that a lot.
Since you asked…
We wanted to pick a team based in London to make it easier to go to a game.

I was pushing for West Ham or Crystal Palace, but friends rightly pointed out there isn’t a West Ham or Crystal Palace bar in town, whereas just about every town has an Arsenal bar where you can go drink beers and watch the game.

Was about 100 people in the bar for the North London Derby last weekend and the other bar across the street is a Tottenham bar which made it fun as there is a traveling trophy between the two.

Would have been a lonely experience if we went with Brentford or something similar - although I am going to a Brentford game later this year.

And in 2021, Arsenal was far from the Champions league. Have luckily seemed to have had a really good run once we choose them. In any event, not claiming to be the biggest diehard Arsenal fan in the world, but it has been pretty fun to day drink with old friends and make new ones.

Last edited:

Too trusting of the defense. I expect that trust was lost forever in the fourth quarter.
The last two years were in the top five in total Defense and one horrendous week we are not gonna lose faith forever. Certainly would help if we could get 45 back on the field. 27 and 5 didn’t have good games and who saw that coming?

The last two years were in the top five in total Defense and one horrendous week we are not gonna lose faith forever. Certainly would help if we could get 45 back on the field. 27 and 5 didn’t have good games and who saw that coming?
I'd say the last two weeks exposed our weakness to the pass. Nevertheless, my point was that I'd rather have the ball and count on my offense to control it -- to be able to make a first down on 4th and 2 rather than punt and expect my defense to stop the opponent. Maybe over-confidence in the defense is what I should have written. Maybe in the future we'll attempt to protect our lead by relying more on the offense and less on the defense.

Top Bottom