Deion Sanders looks for ‘dual parent’ homes in QB recruits, ‘single mama’ households in d-linemen

Or just recruit good players with high character regardless of their parent situtation. Deion taking a big L with this take
In principle I agree with you, but I think Deion and Colorado are leaning hard into the “any attention is good attention” philosophy so they’re just happy we’re talking about them.

He’s a great yapper but is he a great coach??

He was successful at his previous stint. Also ... he will get noticed and probably out recruit a lot of schools like MN. We really have nothing to do with Deion but here we are talking about him during the off season. Nobody with other conference ties is talking about any of the coaches in the Big Ten as far as I know.

He was successful at his previous stint. Also ... he will get noticed and probably out recruit a lot of schools like MN. We really have nothing to do with Deion but here we are talking about him during the off season. Nobody with other conference ties is talking about any of the coaches in the Big Ten as far as I know.
We is not me. The guy is a prima donna, "look at me, I'm a star", totally full of himself. No way would I want my son playing for him. CFB is worse off with him in the spot light.

Probably just said a thing out loud that you don't say out loud, but everyone agrees with quietly and privately. 🤷‍♂️

We is not me. The guy is a prima donna, "look at me, I'm a star", totally full of himself. No way would I want my son playing for him. CFB is worse off with him in the spot light.

I mean he was a star and one of the best CB's of all time. He's in the college football and NFL hall of fame. He also played WR, and in the MLB where he stole 56 bases in a season.

Now we see star players routinely take days off in the MLB and NBA, yet Deion played in a NFL game and the NLCS on the same day.

I get why people may not like his personality, but you can't question his work ethic, and he has accomplished more as a player than any other coach in college. Time will tell if he can be a successful coach at this level.

Last edited:

I mean he was a star and one of the best CB's of all time. He's in the college football and NFL hall of fame. He also played WR, and in the MLB where he stole 56 bases in a season.

Now we see star players routinely take days off in the MLB and NBA, yet Deion played in a NFL game and the NLCS on the same day.

I get why people may not like his personality, but you can't question his work ethic, and he has accomplished more as a player than any other coach in college. Time will tell if he can be a successful coach at this level.
You're not wrong in anything you said, but I think everyone is aware of how little your accomplishments as a player mean in the coaching world.

I don't mind Deion, and I think he's good for the game as a whole. That said, I'd be shocked if this hire works out. I just don't think he's qualified for a job of this level. He had some success at an HBCU where he could flat out gather more talent than his opponents, but that will only take him so far at Colorado. I get why they hired him as they really have nowhere to go but up. I think he makes them slightly more competitive because he will bring in some talent, but I'm not sure he has the coaching ability to fill the other gaps. If he proves me wrong, great.

The guy is clearly speaking tongue-in-cheek and people really do go out of their way to find offense.

I don't even think people disagree with his main point. You probably don't want to recruit a QB who isn't a leader on and off the field in every phase of his life (school, community, decision making, etc.).

The tweet is right though, if a white guy said this the world would end but who cares. That doesn't mean we should also pretend to be outraged when he says it.

You're not wrong in anything you said, but I think everyone is aware of how little your accomplishments as a player mean in the coaching world.

I don't mind Deion, and I think he's good for the game as a whole. That said, I'd be shocked if this hire works out. I just don't think he's qualified for a job of this level. He had some success at an HBCU where he could flat out gather more talent than his opponents, but that will only take him so far at Colorado. I get why they hired him as they really have nowhere to go but up. I think he makes them slightly more competitive because he will bring in some talent, but I'm not sure he has the coaching ability to fill the other gaps. If he proves me wrong, great.
I guess it depends on what success at this level looks like to you.

Colorado has been an absolute dumpster fire for a number of years and if Deion can get them to run of mediocrity/relevancy, that is a major accomplishment. They have had essentially 2 decent teams in the last 20 years and one of those seasons was that bizarre COVID year.

I'm not saying this is you but there are people who don't like him that could see his teams finish 7-5 and 8-4 and would talk about how he is a failure. If, over the next 5 seasons, they go to multiple bowl games - he is an absolute success. If they become a legit Big 12 contender - he did one of the best jobs in college football. If they become a national contender - it's one of the best coaching jobs ever. I'm not sure where he lands on that because he is a wildcard, but judging his success has to be done in the context of what he inherited.

That said, I'd be shocked if this hire works out. I just don't think he's qualified for a job of this level. He had some success at an HBCU where he could flat out gather more talent than his opponents, but that will only take him so far at Colorado. I get why they hired him as they really have nowhere to go but up. I think he makes them slightly more competitive because he will bring in some talent, but I'm not sure he has the coaching ability to fill the other gaps. If he proves me wrong, great.
The bolded is why I think this could be like Scott Frost. He did the same thing, out-talent the competition.

If you want a winning program, there is nothing wrong with what Deion said. The hypocrites get offended by hearing stuff like this. If you want to go against the Deion's bias/trend/observation, then more power to you. Just don't expect it to be a simple thing.

The bolded is why I think this could be like Scott Frost. He did the same thing, out-talent the competition.
Maybe. But PJ Fleck did a lot of the same things at WMU that Deion did at Jackson State (out-recruit some fungible MAC programs and bring buzz to a sleepy program) and PJ has done well at Minnesota.

i think this will become the part that we'll have to see. he definitely did this as a player, but will he as a coach? he can recruit based on name brand enough right now. that goes away/lessens if the team struggles, NIL deals don't pan out for players, etc. He is getting by largely on his reputation. No one is signing because he went 4-3, 11-2, 12-1 as a head coach at an HBCU. The 5 stars came because he's Prime Time in their eyes (and more importantly, their parents). He's going to have to have the same work ethic as a head coach or he'll end up like Frost.

i think this will become the part that we'll have to see. he definitely did this as a player, but will he as a coach? he can recruit based on name brand enough right now. that goes away/lessens if the team struggles, NIL deals don't pan out for players, etc. He is getting by largely on his reputation. No one is signing because he went 4-3, 11-2, 12-1 as a head coach at an HBCU. The 5 stars came because he's Prime Time in their eyes (and more importantly, their parents). He's going to have to have the same work ethic as a head coach or he'll end up like Frost.

I think players who achieve greatness are only wired one way, so I do believe he has the same work ethic as a coach as he did as a player. He does get recruits by his name and past achievements, and he's already mentioned he can't offer much for NIL at Colorado so I don't see that being a factor.

Deion is a lot like PJ IMO. He's going to be the lead recruiter and CEO, and let his coordinators handle the X's and O's. I think he'll significantly raise the floor, but not sure how high his ceiling will be there. It's good that he's already had success as a head coach, even though it was at a lower level.

I think players who achieve greatness are only wired one way, so I do believe he has the same work ethic as a coach as he did as a player. He does get recruits by his name and past achievements, and he's already mentioned he can't offer much for NIL at Colorado so I don't see that being a factor.

Deion is a lot like PJ IMO. He's going to be the lead recruiter and CEO, and let his coordinators handle the X's and O's. I think he'll significantly raise the floor, but not sure how high his ceiling will be there. It's good that he's already had success as a head coach, even though it was at a lower level.
as far as the NIL, he's been quoted as telling donors they need to dump money in. I think there will be plenty of NIL swimming around there (not USC, TXAM, GA, etc levels, but enough).

On your second paragraph, I would agree that this is likely how it will be. I don't think it will go down in flames like I think many hope it will, but will be interesting to see how it plays out and how much a hand Deion has in everything (ie will he step back and let the coordinators do their thing, or will he tinker). Either way, think it definitely raises COs floor simply based on the talent they'll get in the door

The NIL argument is a good one. 5-10 years ago, I think it was easier to turn around a P5 program on force of personality and fame alone. Now that there's cash openly at the recruiting table, being at Colorado where football hasn't usually been a big donor priority and there are 4 local pro sports to compete with will make it harder for Deion. Colorado has a lot of the same hurdles Minnesota has in those regards.

Deion at Nebraska would have been really interesting, because I think everyone would have dug deep into their overalls to fill bags of cash for him.

I honestly expected he wouldn’t tough it out at his first job… but he kinda did and… kinda didn’t.

This story sort of reminds me of when James Franklin took some heat for saying that when he was hiring assistants he wanted to see how attractive their wives were. The idea was that if the coach had "outkicked his coverage" in the wife department, he must be able to recruit.

Barry Switzer, at Oklahoma, is credited with pioneering the "how hot is your wife" part of the assistant coach hiring process, although in his case it was because he wanted to nail them when he sent their husbands on the road to recruit.

This story sort of reminds me of when James Franklin took some heat for saying that when he was hiring assistants he wanted to see how attractive their wives were. The idea was that if the coach had "outkicked his coverage" in the wife department, he must be able to recruit.

Barry Switzer, at Oklahoma, is credited with pioneering the "how hot is your wife" part of the assistant coach hiring process, although in his case it was because he wanted to nail them when he sent their husbands on the road to recruit.
Required link

In principle I agree with you, but I think Deion and Colorado are leaning hard into the “any attention is good attention” philosophy so they’re just happy we’re talking about them.
And it will burn badly for all involved.

Sanders is going to be a great hire. I'm glad Nebraska didn't hire him.

Top Bottom