Deion Sanders is SI's 2023 Sportsperson of the Year

True, but he can certainly try to force people out to make enough room for the guys he wants to bring in. If Shadeur comes back he only has one more year with his kid so you can bet he will want to do everything possible to win next year before he does whatever it is he is going to do once his kid is in the NFL.
tbh, would you want you kid who will be an NFL draft pick and reportedly fractured his spine this year because of all the hits he took to come back and play behind on OL that will only be mildly, if at all, improved from last year?

tbh, would you want you kid who will be an NFL draft pick and reportedly fractured his spine this year because of all the hits he took to come back and play behind on OL that will only be mildly, if at all, improved from last year?
It will be interesting to see what happens. I would think Deion would want his kid to go to the league unless he doesn't feel he is ready for it. He definitely took a beating this year behind that line.

Per Glen Mason on Barreiro's show yesterday:

"the number one responsibility of the coach is to take kids from diverse backgrounds...and bring them together as a team".

This is true and will be the main reason why Deon can or can't build a team. Getting top lineman will be a key (per other posts above).

The people who have ever won SI Sportsperson of the Year as a coach:

John Wooden
Don Shula
Joe Paterno
Dean Smith
Mike Kryzewski
Pat Summitt
Deion Sanders

All of these people are among the top 1-3 most successful coaches ever in their sport by wins. There's no Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Phil Jackson, Geno Auriemma, Scotty Bowman, or even Herb Brooks - but there is Deion Sanders.

This was a pick for the clicks, pure and simple.

John Wooden
Don Shula
Joe Paterno
Dean Smith
Mike Kryzewski
Pat Summitt
Deion Sanders

All of these people are among the top 1-3 most successful coaches ever in their sport by wins. There's no Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Phil Jackson, Geno Auriemma, Scotty Bowman, or even Herb Brooks - but there is Deion Sanders.

Amazing. SI is a joe.

More like D Bag of the year in my book. A person could not be more shallow. And that’s a kind way to put it.

John Wooden
Don Shula
Joe Paterno
Dean Smith
Mike Kryzewski
Pat Summitt
Deion Sanders

For a 4-8 team. For perspective:

- Wooden lost 8 games total in his final 5 seasons (with 4 championships).
- Shula lost 8+ games just 6 times in 33 seasons, and Paterno lost 8 games just once in 46 seasons.
- Wooden, Smith, Kryzewski and Summitt all had double-digit seasons where they lost fewer than 8 games. In seasons with 35+ games.

I think Deion probably is Person of the Year in the Sports Industrial Complex and that's what this signifies. That said, it's a bit of an insult to players and coaches who did more to warrant selection based on performance.

Football at all levels appears to be turning into professional wrestling in how it is marketed both on the field and off it. Deion fits that model to a T.

Probably not many. SI appears to be a sad case of the worst kind of media merger - the private equity buyout of the name by a "brand holding company" that doesn't give a hoot about anything but cranking out whatever garbage is most profitable under that legacy brand name.

Most of the kind of journalism SI used to do (along with many of their old writers) is over at The Athletic now.
That makes sense. A few years ago, they were the main place I went for sports when they were still owned by CNN. Now, CNN just published this article!

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/29/opinions/sports-illustrated-ai-controversy-leitch/index.html

1701376637086.png

I agree on the line play. That's a question mark. Let's face it, it might be difficult to recruit top cornfed o-line types (available to Colorado) to hip hop culture. They require cohesion and years of development.
Great point about the cohesion - the article also touched on it and used Michigan as an example, they’ve won the best OL award two years running now and all their starters were juniors/seniors this year and have that time to jell.
Sanders knows this. He played behind some absolute beast lineman with the Cowboys.

True, but he can certainly try to force people out to make enough room for the guys he wants to bring in. If Shadeur comes back he only has one more year with his kid so you can bet he will want to do everything possible to win next year before he does whatever it is he is going to do once his kid is in the NFL.
Same thing Fleck does, but it’s not unilateral now.

Same thing Fleck does, but it’s not unilateral now.
Would agree that all teams move guys along. Sanders seems to be even more cut throat about it though. At least he was in regards to the existing players on Colorado's roster. Will be interesting to see how he handles getting rid of guys he brought in while trying to upgrade.

Would agree that all teams move guys along. Sanders seems to be even more cut throat about it though. At least he was in regards to the existing players on Colorado's roster. Will be interesting to see how he handles getting rid of guys he brought in while trying to upgrade.
I hope he gets some decent OL, as I was to see what Shedder can do without getting sacked 50 times in a season. The article I read said he has a fractured back - thanks dad and pass the frickin almonds.

I hope he gets some decent OL, as I was to see what Shedder can do without getting sacked 50 times in a season. The article I read said he has a fractured back - thanks dad and pass the frickin almonds.
I don't know if Deion can build an effective offensive line. Blocking requires contact, which Deion knows nothing about.

He’s the poster boy for the current chaotic status of college football rosters. He didn’t succeed, just did it in the flashiest way possible. Headlines over victories.

Nothing more than a damn circus show —he and his sidekicks (and the circus show celebrities on the sideline) accomplished absolutely nothing. Once his two kids are gone —he gone !!!

HA Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ......

fall off chair.....

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ......

catch my breath....

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Deon is already throwing his players under the bus. Not wanting it enough, not working hard enough, not good enough, not coaching good enough, etc...

Many gifted athletes have a difficult time coaching. They tend to not understand why it doesn't come as natural to others and blame it on effort, drive, dedication, etc...

His star power and the limelight is enough to get him a shot at some good recruits/transfers. That was more than enough to excel at the lower level. To excel at Colorado, he has to get a lot more better recruits. That is not going to happen. The Alabama's, Michigan's, Ohio State's, Georgia's, etc. are not going to let that happen. There are only so many 5 star athletes and they are already in the pipeline for the helmet schools. And with NIL money, that locks it in even more to the schools with wealthy boosters. And Colorado is not one of those schools.

Also, Deon is not patient. He is not going to be waiting on those redshirt junior offensive lineman to work into the starting lineup. He is not interested in developing players.

Next year will be his last at Colorado....

John Wooden
Don Shula
Joe Paterno
Dean Smith
Mike Kryzewski
Pat Summitt
Deion Sanders

Cripes, which one of these is not like the other things.

A bad joke. At least most here recognize it. Shame, shame, shame.

Most people have an issue with challenging the status quo. I do not. Heck, we have a coach that does that. That said, in the long run, his lack of discipline and nepotism, if not improved, are probably too much to offset the positives he brings. Even with that, the University of Colorado was right in hiring the man. They have sucked for a long time.

I predict Colorado goes bowling next near after the move to the Big 12.
Defenses are worse in the Big 12 compared to the PAC 12 so they should have a decent shot.

He’s trash for cutting so many kids and waiting until after the spring game to do it. What a piece of crap.

Top Bottom