Defensive Tackle Depth

Mean Joe

Reaction score
I believe that every position on defense will greatly improve besides D tackle. If you look at the people returning this year the only name that i can remember making a play is Hageman. Outside of him it seems that there is not another reliable player who can start for us. And with Rallis playing his first year at middle linebacker, i think that could be a major weakness since i dont see Rallis being a big time run stuffer.

Hopefully im proved wrong and multiple DT's step up and play some solid minutes.

Mean Joe said:
I believe that every position on defense will greatly improve besides D tackle. If you look at the people returning this year the only name that i can remember making a play is Hageman. Outside of him it seems that there is not another reliable player who can start for us. And with Rallis playing his first year at middle linebacker, i think that could be a major weakness since i dont see Rallis being a big time run stuffer.

Hopefully im proved wrong and multiple DT's step up and play some solid minutes.

Hopefully JUCO Roland Johnson.

Depth is a big question mark. You never know what you're going to get with a JuCo. Botticelli played a lot last year and he had a couple decent moments. He seemed to lack the strength to be really effective. Jacques also played quite a bit. But the OP is right, a lot of it really depends upon Hageman. I think Hageman has the potential to be our best DT in a really long time, but it's just potential.

How about Brewster recruit Harold Legina? ( spell check?)
It's Legania. It would be nice if he could step up his game.

It sounds like Scott Ekpe had a nice spring, he could be pushing for playing time too.

How about Brewster recruit Harold Legina? ( spell check?)
As a non-expert in defensive line play, my impression in watching Harold Legania practice, is that he is a big strong kid who was recruited for a gap control system and would probably fit that better because he is more strong than quick. He also seems like a kid whose aggressiveness may develop more slowly, so he may improve a lot yet, but I would not predict any particular outcome based on what I have seen.
To play in a system where they want quickness, I think conditioning will always be a challenge for him because he will naturally tend to be heavier than they might want him.
I think Jacques may have some potential if he keeps getting stronger, he seems quicker, and plays low based on what I have seen.

As a non-expert in defensive line play, my impression in watching Harold Legania practice, is that he is a big strong kid who was recruited for a gap control system and would probably fit that better because he is more strong than quick. He also seems like a kid whose aggressiveness may develop more slowly, so he may improve a lot yet, but I would not predict any particular outcome based on what I have seen.
To play in a system where they want quickness, I think conditioning will always be a challenge for him because he will naturally tend to be heavier than they might want him.
Short yardage/goal line defense?

I agree with Minnfan that MV's analysis is excellent. However, I'm hoping what is missing from MV's analysis are the intangibles and in particular very positive results from a full year of strength and conditioning in Kill's system. While I appreciated the efforts of both Anthony Jacobs and Brandon Kirksey and understand that there is no substitute for good experience, it is not as though they lit the world on fire last year. I know that relying on a youth movement seldom pays off but it is mostly what we have so hopefully the strength and conditioning program coupled with a fast learning curve from a couple of the younger guys pays dividends earlier than one would normally expect. It may be that I'm grasping at straws for something to give me hope but hopefully a breakout year by O.P. and perhaps by one of the new guys coupled with the intangibles will give us better than expected results on defense. Here's to wishful thinking...

Go Gophers!

Kirksey made a comment in reference to the Vikings tryouts about Hagaman and Legania not being to far from NFL-type DTs. FWIW.

A very good analysis, but damn he can be hard to read at times. This sentence almost killed me:

"Whether this was the result of a marked point of focus (the coaches groaned at length during the spring of 2011 about how the crew they inherited finished dead last among FBS teams in sacks) or the lightbulb going off for the defense is a distinct without a difference, since the coaching staff set out with a goal of reaching the quarterback with far greater frequency, a goal that was somewhat achieved as the Gophers finished 5th among Big Ten teams in sacks during conference games."

Between Hageman, Botticelli, Johnson and Jacques we should have enough guys in the rotation.

Top Bottom