Defense Delerium: Don't Panic yet.

JOHN4254

Reaction score
Gentlemen, before everyone panics and tips over their canoes worrying about the Gopher defense, let me suggest a few things about this defense. First, Kevin Cosgrove is an excellent and resourceful Defensive Coordinator who did a hell of a job last year, improving the Gopher defense over the highly praised efforts of his predecessor, Ted Root, while dealing with a number of significant injuries. Triplett, Simmons, and Sherels were banged up, and missed some games. A starting defensive end from 08, Derrick Onwuachi, was injured in the off season and never really contributed, and Mike Rallis broke his leg in the Cal game and was lost for the season after playing very in the early games. Nevertheless, the defense played very well, especially in the 10-0 loss to the hated Iowegians.
Looking at this year's potential starting defense, there is reason for hope, if not total optimism. The starting tackles, Jewhan Edwards and Brandon Kirksey, are bigger, faster, and hopefully meaner than their predecessors, and they will be helped by Junior Anthony Jacobs, and perhaps one of the incoming freshman. As I wrote before, I look for Big Jewh Edwards to have a breakout year, and put the hurt on a lot of offensive linemen and running backs. The defensive ends are the most intriguing group in determining how good this defense can be. The development of Hageman and Kendall-McGhee will be the key to the defensive line's effectiveness. I believe, D. L. Willhite will become an excellent pass rusher, and Jacobs will rotate between tackle and end on running situations. Hageman will be the surprise rookie defensive player in the Big 10. Remember this name, Cameron Botticelli,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkWdv-AtfX4
a walk-on from Marquette University high school.

In spite of the extracurricular activities of certain linebackers, I expect the linebacker crew to be better than last year's excellent group. Sam the Man needs to, and can, show us that the courage he displayed earlier has not been wasted on a fascination with the sauce. He can be the force in the middle that the Gophers will need to compete in the Big 10. Mike Rallis is the next Nate Triplett, and Keanon Cooper will be special IMHO. Gary Tinsley, I just don't know if he will be back or not. If he is, he needs to get a bicycle, grow up and decide what he wants to do with his life, be a moped racer or a football player and college graduate. Are you listening, Sam?

The defensive backfield is clearly the big question mark. Michael Carter will start at one corner, and, I believe, will come up very big in the Gophers pass defense. Ryan Callado and Christyn Lewis, (who will move back from safety when Hershel Thornton arrives), will compete for the other corner spot, with one of them being the nickel back. At safety, KyleTheret will be back at one safety, and either Hershel Thornton or Kenny Watkins will be the starter. Shady Salaman should also be in the mix. Don't count out Kim Royston, he is a very tough kid, and could be back sooner than you think. Those titanium rods are very amazing.

My sense is that Coach Cosgrove is very happy with the players on hand, and who knows, he may find a surprise in the incoming freshman class. Regardless, I think he will find a way to utilize the speed and talent of this very young group, and put together an excellent defense. So guys, don't tip over those canoes and drown before you see for yourself this fall. GO GOPHERS!

Top Bottom