Defense against Northwestern?

Reaction score
Will we go with our standard 4-3 or switch to a 3-4 to get more speed on the field? NW plays a spread that uses a lot of short passes. Their running back was hurt last week and I heard they are a little beat up in general.

I like the 3-4 with K Cooper on the field. Have the outside linebackers take away the bubble screens and contain Kafka.

Will we go with our standard 4-3 or switch to a 3-4 to get more speed on the field? NW plays a spread that uses a lot of short passes. Their running back was hurt last week and I heard they are a little beat up in general.

I like the 3-4 with K Cooper on the field. Have the outside linebackers take away the bubble screens and contain Kafka.

I agree, especially because our DL is very good at the point of the attack but not as good at pressuring the qb. The 3-4 gives us more speed and a lot more flexibility.

Whatever defense can stop Kafka from gaining 4,500 yards on the ground against us I'm fine with.

Whatever defense can stop Kafka from gaining 4,500 yards on the ground against us I'm fine with.

Not going to lie, i laughed out loud when i read that! its so true though!

I think this is a great showcase for the job Cosgrove and Lee are doing (will be a great indicator at the end of the day), if they are able to stop Kafka that will be impressive and a total 180 from last year. The NW offense gives people fits, so our offense will have to take advantage of their weaker defense.

We need to put the hurt on Kafka early imo. If he feels he can run--he will time and time again. NW is very good at taking what the defense gives them. Hit him hard and early and the game can be ours.

They were supposed to be a little bit beat up last year also, look what happened. We need to come prepared and come out strong.

How many times will our guys watch the film of Kafka running for 200 last year? Thats got to be pretty good motivation for this week. We need to pay them back for ruining our season last year.

I remember that game well. I was on the endzone at the game for that one. It was when Simoni was breaking out, he had some over pursuit problems, I don't think he'll make that mistake this time. In fact, I have a feeling he has been waiting the whole year for redemption.

Last year was brutal. We even had some kind of pass rush back then...
Our linebackers are playing better this year, though. I think between Lawrence, Campbell, Triplett and Cooper, we should be able to slow Kafka down.

Top Bottom