Decker out for the regular season

Decker out for rest of regular season....

Star Tribune is reporting this....looking at surgery as a possible option. Brewster hopes to have him back for a bowl game. Bummer.:mad:

It looked bad when he came down on it, a painful spot on his foot, I fully expected a broken bone somewhere in there.
He's been a warrior for us, one of the greatest gophers of all time.
Get the surgery, heal fast, and good luck Eric.

Major major bummer. I feel the same way I did when Maroney and Barber went pro. I hope for the best for them, but I'd really like to see them play some more in maroon and gold.

That sucks. Great career, Eric. I don't think anyone will blame you if you skip whatever Bowl Game we're in and focus on the draft.

Thanks for everything you've done Eric. I hope you can get yourself ready for the draft and come out strong.

Time for Brandon Green and Hayo Carpenter to step up.

Yeah, I hope this doesn't drop his draft stock too much. No matter how rough things got here he never did anything less than give everything he had. Hell of a player and a hell of an example for the program.

The catch against Cal should keep him in the first 4 rounds alone.......

The catch against Cal should keep him in the first 4 rounds alone.......

I think this is my favorite decker moment simply because it happened right in front of me.

So thanks for that play and everything else Decker, you're one hell of a player.

Thanks for everything you've done Eric. I hope you can get yourself ready for the draft and come out strong.

Time for Brandon Green and Hayo Carpenter to step up.

Mayber Gray can spread the ball around a little more.

not the news I was hoping for....I feel bad for him, and good luck to him in the future.

possible blessing in disguise to build for the future...Might as well see what we got with Gray throwing to Green, Allen, Stoudermire, Hayo, etc. Time for them to step up....

Gulp. I don't know what to say. I've got to let this one sink in.

Grunk posted this in another thread but if you just replace 'next year' with 'this saturday' I feel it works.

I think it will be interesting to see what the WR's do without Decker there next year. I'm one that has pointed out that Decker has tended to be a crutch for Weber and has prevented him from spreading it around as much as he should. I don't believe any one player will replace Decker's production but as a group we have the talent to do so and hopefully be even more productive. Three productive WR's are a lot harder to cover and scheme against than one great player that is 54% of the team's receiving yardage.

This Could Go Either Way...

Decker being out is, of course, a huge loss for us. It COULD mean that our already struggling offense goes into a complete tailspin and never gains another first down. :p

Seriously, there are two possible outcomes that seem most likely to me as I consider what the loss of Decker will mean to our offense.

1. We'll continue to struggle on offense, and perhaps be even less effective, because we've lost our #1 option.

2. We'll see a more balanced passing attack out of necessity, as Weber is forced to use other options now that his trusted #1 is gone.

Personally, I feel that #2 is slightly more likely to happen. Although Weber won't have Decker to throw to (especially when he's on the run), that means opposing defenses won't be able to key on Decker, so it cuts both ways. We may actually see a much more balanced passing attack, with more guys getting chances to make plays because Weber HAS to look to them.

Some of the the possible positive outcomes as I see them are as follows:

Brandon Green has a year of experience under his belt, and he's shown that he can make tough, clutch catches when given the chance. He's got talent, and a knack for making plays. He's not Eric Decker, but he's a guy who gives us a somewhat proven option when we need a big 3rd down catch. I believe that he'll be Weber's main target for the rest of this year, and go into 2010 as our #1 WR.

Troy Stoudemire should see more passes thrown his way, which (assuming he hangs on to the ball) should be a good thing -- he's our only offensive regular who's a threat to take it to the house any time he touches the ball. We should have the ball in the hands of our playmakers, and Troy is one of those guys.

Hayo Carpenter will get more passes his way. I'll be the first to admit that I expected more out of Hayo, based on the hype. My mistake for expecting too much. However, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since he's had to adjust to a brand new offense, and to far more challeging opposing defensive players. That has to be a major adjustment for anyone. He may not be the downfield game breaker that we hoped for, but he could also blossom between now and the end of the season. Having more PT should give us a chance to see what we've really got.

DaJon McKnight should at least see more red zone passes (where he can use his size and athletic ability) in place of Decker. He might also simply see more PT overall -- I think he has a chance to break out a bit.

Bryant Allen may break out -- I don't EXPECT anything from Bryant as a true freshman. But, he has the raw ability to make plays, and could end up surprising some opposing D's who don't have much film on him. It's certailny unlikely that they'll be scheming to stop us from throwing the ball to him. Hopefully he gets the chance, and makes plays for us.

Eric Lair should get more touches. Taking into account that the guy was a relatively highly touted (for us at least) prospect, he's got some talent. He had a solid guy in front of him in Tow-Arnett, so I'm not worried that he hasn't seen many passes thrown his way to this point. However, with both Decker and Tow-Arnett out, Lair should see some of the throws that Weber used to make to Tow-Arnett. Here's hoping he can step up and make plays when called upon.

In the end, having the experience of playing the rest of the regular season without Decker should better prepare these guys for the 2010 season, when he'll be gone anyway. Here's hoping that we see guys step up collectively to carry the load that Eric carried by himself.

Go Gophers!!!

THANK YOU eric decker for your contributions to the university of minnesota and to the university of minnesota football program. you will certainly be missed. now it is time for our other WR's to step up and elevate their games. i think this is a chance to really step-up and play a bigger role that a guy like brandon green has been waiting for.

I'm not sure whether I should be pissed off (for my own sake) or bummed out (for Eric's sake). Might have to let the whiskey decide. Looks like I'm drinking in the afternoon again.

Here's to you Eric - you have become my favorite Gopher football player of all-time.

Thank you for everything Eric Decker - you are a great player and will certainly be missed. Best wishes as you recover from this setback and I look forward to watching you play in (hopefully) the bowl game and on Sundays!

I think this is a great opportunity for this offense to grow the rest of the season and into 2010 as well.

Go Gophers!

jeez this doesn't help...well it'll be interesting to see if the younger guys can step up...

Thank you Eric Decker for a terrific career in maroon&gold.

Best WR in Gopher history.

Eric == tremendous, shining star in the Golden Gopher constellation. Best wishes for a full recovery from an Eastern Gopher and great admirer.

ugh.....damn.....7-5 just became much much more difficult

hoping for a 6-6 finish now...bummer

Top Bottom