Decker: ‘Must Win’ for U Tomorrow

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per David Shama:

Decker: ‘Must Win’ for U Tomorrow

Although some observers are in a funk about the Gophers after losing to Wisconsin last Saturday, it’s a good bet the players will be sharp in tomorrow’s homecoming game at TCF Bank Stadium against Purdue. The Gophers (3-2) know they made too many mistakes against Wisconsin, losing a sixth straight game to the Badgers, but their commitment to the season doesn’t have to hit bottom with seven games remaining.

Senior wide receiver Eric Decker said earlier this week the Gophers need to prepare better in practice to avoid the mistakes that led to a loss against traditional rival Wisconsin but he’s not concerned about emotional damage for tomorrow’s game. “I’m not (worried). I think we have enough upperclassmen and leadership to be able to put that (loss) in the past and prepare for Purdue,” Decker said. “This is a big game for us and all of us feel like this is a must win. Every week is the biggest game for us. We are going to do everything we can do (and) break down film on Purdue and see what we can do against them on offense.”

The Gophers gave up 454 total yards to Wisconsin in the 31-28 loss, 295 rushing and 159 passing. “I feel like we took a step back last week,” Gophers safety Kyle Theret said. “We didn’t play the way we wanted to. We didn’t hit like we wanted to and I feel like we were ‘out-toughed.' It is kind of embarrassing as a defense and we want to get back to the way we want to be playing.”

Purdue quarterback Joey Elliott ranks first in passing yardage per game (255.2) and total offense (270.8) in the Big Ten Conference. Purdue running back Ralph Bolden is second in the conference in rushing yards per game (108.2). The Gophers defense is fourth (202.4) in passing defense and 10th in rushing defense (174.6).

But the Gophers defense has made big plays this season as has the team’s passing game (ranking sixth in the conference). The running game, though, has been a problem and the Gophers are last in league rushing at 96 yards per game.

The Gophers may better that average against a Purdue defense that is giving up 159.4 yards per game in rushing defense, ninth in the league. The Boilermakers are 10th in pass defense at 240 yards per game.

With road games the next two Saturdays at Penn State and Ohio State (both Big Ten title favorites), the Gophers will be in a funk themselves if they don’t beat a Purdue team that is 1-4 on the season and 0-1 in the Big Ten, losing last week to Northwestern.

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Encouraging to read that Deck & Co understand...without qualifications...the importance of a W for the success of their season.

Big pluses for the Gs if they win Saturday:

> will show critics/skeptics they have the grit to bounce back from a big emotional loss;

> will likely demonstrate the discipline to fix obvious problems such as "stupid penalty" snafus;

> will build confidence going into two very hostile venues: PSU and tOSU;

> will indicate that they have the talent, determination and fire-power to get a W when favored;

> will generate more evidence that Brew is growing as a motivator and field general.

If they don't get the W, the minuses are pretty obvious.

I guarantee a Gopher victory tomorrow over the Boilers. If not I will buy everyone a beer at McNamera Plaza!

Top Bottom