Dead Last

GoForGold

Reaction score
The Mighty NMSU Aggies are #131 in the latest Power Rankings.

Based on what I saw as I watched their first game, I think that is a bit unfair with an emphasis on the word "bit". They aren't good. But I don't think they are dead last. Either way the Gophers should make a statement tomorrow night. If they have the kind of season many of us are predicting (in the 9-3 or even 10-2 range against teams like Wisconsin, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa, etc.), games like this should be over in the first half. It shouldn't matter much if the Aggies are #131 or #109 or whatever.

Probably true, but sets-up a bad narrative for the National Media. If the Gophers don't beat the Aggies by four touchdowns or more it'll be all "Bowling Green! Bowling Green!"

Don't worry about "giving stuff away".

Just hammer them.

Go Gophers!

Nevada leaped to 101. No wonder NMSU fell to that juggernaut.

Does ESPN ever actually adjust these rankings, or is it just a rank of the most popular teams of the last 25 years?

One of the mantras of Football Outsiders statistical analysis is championship teams beat their good opponents convincingly and destroy the cupcakes on the schedule. In college football early season mulligans are probably more expected and forgivable than in the NFL but still…fans would like to not need to sweat it.

Based on what I saw as I watched their first game, I think that is a bit unfair with an emphasis on the word "bit". They aren't good. But I don't think they are dead last.

I'll buy that. U of Mass has been terrible as an FBS team and they lost to New Mexico State 44-27 last year. Another terrible FBS team, U of Conn, lost to U Mass 27-13 last season. It must be said that U Conn appeared more competitive in losing their opener this season.

This team, with this schedule, has 12-0 written all over it.

I see that Nebraska gets a boost for losing a close “away” game.

Is this the same system as the basketball rankings?

Cause NMSU should still be rated higher than Nevada.

Top Bottom