De-Commit from De-Commit

Let's face it, you're not really committed until you sign your letter of intent. But even then, with the free transfer, you're not every really committed to a school.

Yeah and when my company fired people I wish HR sent an email that said "Jimmy is fired because he spends too much company time on GopherHole", but it doesn't work that way, and I really don't care that much.
nu·ance

noun: nuance plural noun: nuances
  1. a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound.: "the nuances of facial expression and body language".
    synonyms: fine distinction, subtle distinction/difference, shade, shading, gradation, variation, modulation, degree, subtlety, nicety, refinement, overtone

I don't really care about the term de-commit or why kids are leaving. I am angry and grieving a loss. I started going to Gopher football games as a child and I have continued to invest in it for more years than I care to admit. I have endured a lot. I really believed that when PJ Fleck arrived here the program was on it's way. It really showed signs of moving into the upper tier of the Big Ten. Now, due to NIL, transfer portal, conference realignment and the individualistic nature of society, this program is essentially dead in the water for the foreseeable future. As a result little things like the casualness of the term "de-commit" push my buttons. I am amazed and disappointed at how many people are willing to just go with the flow on all these changes and whistle past the graveyard.

Do we tell kids to propose to the first girl they meet in case nobody better comes along? "I'm sorry sweety but I'm decommiting from our engagement and I'm commiting to her cause she's hotter":ROFLMAO:
Didn't Marcia have that same issue in that Brady Bunch episode where she first committed to a date with the dude bringing over paint samples for her parents, then wanted out when star QB Doug Simpson asked her out?

It's obviously a common thing.

As an example: I would be fine with the Pretzlaff kids announcement if he had said something like, "This was a difficult decision because I really liked the people at Minnesota and I was excited about being a part of their program but when I committed it was largely about the opportunity to play for Coach Rossi. With him coming to Michigan State and the added benefit of playing closer to home, family and friends, I have made the difficult decision to switch my commitment to Michigan State".

Damn! I could write these for kids and make money!
But you didn't even use the term "re·nege" and that's why you started this thread, isn't it???

The actual commitment (contractually) doesn't come until signing day. These verbals are just lip service. Even the contractual commitment is short term with the current portal rules.

Heck, until signing day, coaches can and do push aside verbal commitments if a better player comes along.
Yes, just as any employer can disappoint an encouraged candidate if a better one shows up. Do it enough, however, and your reputation becomes sullied.

Can we use our time constructively and start a campaign to end the use of the term "de-commit"? Much like the phrase "my bad" which deflections responsibility and fails to actually apologize for the harm one person causes to another, the phrase "de-commit" deflects from the act of failing to follow through on an agreement or promise.

I propose that we cease supporting this gaslighting by no longer echoing the phrase and begin using the proper term, "renege", or one of its many synonyms:

re·nege
verb
  1. go back on a promise, undertaking, or contract.: "they have reneged on their promises to us" synonyms: default on, fail to honor, go back on, break, back out of, pull out of, withdraw from, retreat from, welsh on, backtrack on, repudiate, retract, go back on one's word, break one's word, break one's promise, do an about-face, cop out of, rat on
This.

Oh, wait. Can we get rid of "This", too?

This.

Oh, wait. Can we get rid of "This", too?
Death to all modifiers, he declared one day, and out of every letter that passed through his hands went every adverb and every adjective.

Joseph Heller, Catch 22

Didn't Marcia have that same issue in that Brady Bunch episode where she first committed to a date with the dude bringing over paint samples for her parents, then wanted out when star QB Doug Simpson asked her out?

That bitch!

I'm down with using "tease".

Edit: Would "skank" be too harsh?

Coaches too?
That makes me think. I don't know what limits coaches' contracts might have re retention but it seems many departures are mutually agreeable. Anyway, the NCAA wouldn't have any say in job changes for coaches since coaches are employees of the school not students. I think the NCAA has lost control of major college sports and serves a role more as a marketing agent for the teams than as a regulator. The sport is changing, in my opinion degrading, rapidly. It's probably too late to keep it recognizable.

That makes me think. I don't know what limits coaches' contracts might have re retention but it seems many departures are mutually agreeable. Anyway, the NCAA wouldn't have any say in job changes for coaches since coaches are employees of the school not students. I think the NCAA has lost control of major college sports and serves a role more as a marketing agent for the teams than as a regulator. The sport is changing, in my opinion degrading, rapidly. It's probably too late to keep it recognizable.
Fair points. I only ask because if the kids choose a school because of the coach, which most do I believe, then they should be able to transfer if the coach leaves the program.

Yes, we do. When a "kid" "100% Comitted"... he slowed down the coaching staff's abilities to pursue other players. The staff tied that kid up to a spot on the team. It's ridiculous.
These coaches on what is going on.

Dude getting paid a ton of money can deal with it….

Everyone in the process knows this is how it works.

That's how I do it with life too. I work someplace, and if there's a better offer I work someplace else. Or I move to a better house.

And yeah people do get divorced ... but in this case it's college football man, that's way less serious.

I am disappointed when players I wanted to see play for MN de-commit too, but it is their call, I respect it. The term is fine.
Don't you mean they have uncoupled?

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!

nu·ance

noun: nuance plural noun: nuances
  1. a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound.: "the nuances of facial expression and body language".
    synonyms: fine distinction, subtle distinction/difference, shade, shading, gradation, variation, modulation, degree, subtlety, nicety, refinement, overtone

I don't really care about the term de-commit or why kids are leaving. I am angry and grieving a loss. I started going to Gopher football games as a child and I have continued to invest in it for more years than I care to admit. I have endured a lot. I really believed that when PJ Fleck arrived here the program was on it's way. It really showed signs of moving into the upper tier of the Big Ten. Now, due to NIL, transfer portal, conference realignment and the individualistic nature of society, this program is essentially dead in the water for the foreseeable future. As a result little things like the casualness of the term "de-commit" push my buttons. I am amazed and disappointed at how many people are willing to just go with the flow on all these changes and whistle past the graveyard.
Squeezed in four idioms, well done! Hats off to you.

Yes, we do. When a "kid" "100% Comitted"... he slowed down the coaching staff's abilities to pursue other players. The staff tied that kid up to a spot on the team. It's ridiculous.
You don't think it can go the other way too?

How about changed my mind, or NIL$ or You found a replacement so im gone? the real answers.

Saying Decommit is easy way out.

Call it Recruit "So and So woke up on the other side of the bed."

Top Bottom