Dawson Garcia will return to Minnesota next season!!!

Giv
But they had no part in that.

Dawson would have stayed here if we were the only P5 team without a NIL program. He did not stay here for any reason having anything to do with NIL money.

That's what's so egregious about Burns's dishonest pronouncement
e it a rest Burns does a great job. Typical jerk fan just totally critical of Minnesota if they do anything right! Unlike many top NCAA players Garcia is loyal to our program and it helps that he wants to be close to his family!

The only schools who have massive NIL money are those who get it from a relatively few mega-donors.

We don't have any of those, who care about Gopher sports. Plain and simple.
I’m certain you can’t verify that since one of the more egregious errors of the newest corruption in college sports is that there is no accountability of how much and where the money is coming through the collectives. We know there are some high profile donors but don’t know much else.

A guy I know who is involved in this says there is a msssive cultural disparity between north and south on this. Schools down south are much more likely to get wide pools of donors than up here, and it isn’t just corporate founders. It’s normal people wanting to tell their neighbors they are sponsoring the next star running back with $100/month. It might not be massive donors, but the wide pool makes money available to players most of us would ask why they are getting paid.

The more small donors, the better chance big donors come through because they see it’s important to their potential customers.

The system stinks to high Heaven, but any reform won’t come with assumptions spewed as facts.

Since it appears that Ben put his X out after Burns, it looks like Ben wanted to make it clear Dinkey had nothing, or little to do with retaining DG. Which if my admittedly tea leaf reading is correct, I would have done also. That’s what’s so frustrating. No one has to release any legitimate data, not even on what program gets what. Some people I am sure would want to give money to Dinkey, but not if it went to football, or MB, or hockey. So they just don’t give any. It’s like someone calls as for a political donation, and won’t tell you which candidate?

Yeah, I assumed he would graduate this spring. Maybe he won't. Most of these guys graduate in 4 years or less. I'd also assume he didn't withdraw from UNC after his dad got sick and finished the year online.

My assumptions could certainly be wrong, I just think it's more likely than not he will graduate this spring/summer.
Okay. Maybe. We’ll see. I’m guessing he will be listed as a Senior, but maybe you have inside info that I don’t.

Since it appears that Ben put his X out after Burns, it looks like Ben wanted to make it clear Dinkey had nothing, or little to do with retaining DG. Which if my admittedly tea leaf reading is correct, I would have done also. That’s what’s so frustrating. No one has to release any legitimate data, not even on what program gets what. Some people I am sure would want to give money to Dinkey, but not if it went to football, or MB, or hockey. So they just don’t give any. It’s like someone calls as for a political donation, and won’t tell you which candidate?
I think donors can designate sports. I bet they can also designate specific athletes too if they want since the “donation” isn’t tax deductible.

I think donors can designate sports. I bet they can also designate specific athletes too if they want since the “donation” isn’t tax deductible.
That’s always been my thing. I need to know my money is going exactly where I want it to go. I’m not giving a dime unless I know it’s going directly to the program I want it to go. Not giving my assistance to programs I have zero interest in.

My experience has been the U has been very vague about that. St. Thomas has not.

The either/or dichotomy showing up here seems false to me. It is entirely possible that Dawson made a decision on loyalty and family, rather than going to the highest bidder and got paid to do so. Suggesting that DTA had nothing to do with it or is the only reason he is staying seems to be the most unlikely scenario. Combination of things, like almost all decisions are.

I like the decision for multiple reasons too. He stays a Gopher. He also publicly displays some loyalty and commitment to the area which will solidify his place here no matter what happens. Displays a bit of maturity and long view of things that maybe younger players didn’t.

That’s always been my thing. I need to know my money is going exactly where I want it to go. I’m not giving a dime unless I know it’s going directly to the program I want it to go. Not giving my assistance to programs I have zero interest in.

My experience has been the U has been very vague about that. St. Thomas has not.
The U or DTA?

DTA lets you explicitly list where you want your $$ to go.

Mine is split 50-50 between football and men's hoops.

We could not replace Garcia from the portal or even come that close. Christie was good for a freshman and deservedly made the All Freshman Team. He likely would be even better next season but there are a lot of off guards in the portal and it's certainly more possible that we could find someone (or two) who could adequately replace his contributions.
I'm still on page 1 out of 4. Did you retract this statement yet lol?

This is Gophers basketball. We need Christie to return and hit MAXIMUM POTENTIAL. We need a few things to fall into place all at once. We can't just stagnate by replacing Christie with some average player.

Okay. Maybe. We’ll see. I’m guessing he will be listed as a Senior, but maybe you have inside info that I don’t.
I don't have any inside information.

I was merely going on how long he's been in college and what's common.

A little harsh I’d say. He is following a path made available to him by an out of control and corrupt system.

We can be torqued off by it and still get why he did it. He didn’t create the system. He’s just taking advantage of it. It may or may not work out, but it is easily understandable why he did it.

He’s no Battle that’s for sure.

Liked Dawson before this, but he moved up on my Favorite Gophers List when I saw this quote:

"I take extreme pride and gratitude in wearing 'Minnesota' across my chest," Garcia said in a statement. "I couldn't pass up the opportunity to run it back one last time and represent this state. Let's make it a special year Gopher nation!"
I hope some local company picks him up for helping with their marketing and it pays Garcia well! Really hope CBJ can find some missing gems in the portal here soon so Garcia and the Gophers can make a strong run in the NCAA tourney next year!

I hope some local company picks him up for helping with their marketing and it pays Garcia well! Really hope CBJ can find some missing gems in the portal here soon so Garcia and the Gophers can make a strong run in the NCAA tourney next year!
Hope springs eternal!

But they had no part in that.
Dawson would have stayed here if we were the only P5 team without a NIL program.
He did not stay here for any reason having anything to do with NIL money.
Congratulations! It isn't easy to state three things you know absolutely nothing about as facts in just a four-sentence post, but you pulled it off. That's a high hit rate, even for you. Bravo!

No one ever claimed that he couldn't have gotten more money elsewhere. No one at DTA said they were the only reason that he stayed or that they outbid everyone for his services.

A little harsh I’d say. He is following a path made available to him by an out of control and corrupt system.

We can be torqued off by it and still get why he did it. He didn’t create the system. He’s just taking advantage of it. It may or may not work out, but it is easily understandable why he did it.

Not sure how he is different than Battle other than Battle had graduated and for all practical purposes he had full filled any commitment he had made to Minnesota.

Not sure how he is different than Battle other than Battle had graduated and for all practical purposes he had full filled any commitment he had made to Minnesota.
Battle took the accolades of a senior who had finished his career here and left the impression he was going pro and went to a conference rival. I see that as a big difference. No deception intentional or otherwise with Payne.

I can interpret Holy Man speak for the young people out there: Don’t hate the playa, hate the game. (Except if it’s Jamison.)

I’m certain you can’t verify that since one of the more egregious errors of the newest corruption in college sports is that there is no accountability of how much and where the money is coming through the collectives. We know there are some high profile donors but don’t know much else.

A guy I know who is involved in this says there is a msssive cultural disparity between north and south on this. Schools down south are much more likely to get wide pools of donors than up here, and it isn’t just corporate founders. It’s normal people wanting to tell their neighbors they are sponsoring the next star running back with $100/month. It might not be massive donors, but the wide pool makes money available to players most of us would ask why they are getting paid.

The more small donors, the better chance big donors come through because they see it’s important to their potential customers.

The system stinks to high Heaven, but any reform won’t come with assumptions spewed as facts.
The thing that continually gets me is "Minnesota doesn't have the NIL to compete".

When you ask, "Well, how much NIL does Minnesota have? How much does everyone else have?"

Answer: Nobody knows. But whatever it is, we have less.

Whatever the reasons, I will always hold a ton of respect for Garcia. He stuck around to (try to) elevate a program that badly needs it, and yes, it matters a little more to me that he's one of us. It hints that legacy means something to him. Fans need to remember this next season if Dawson and/or the team has a rough stretch and they want to start pi**ing on him. Commitment, especially in these times, should be celebrated.

Coffey and/or especially Oturu (yes, I completely understand the professional/money reasons) could've done the same but they chose not to. Business decision. And ditto for Battle (and no, I don't hate him, I wanted him to do well when not playing the Gophers).

I hope Ben & staff get enough pieces around Garcia so that he's rewarded with a NCAA Tournament appearance. That's the way he deserves to go out.

Last edited:

Whatever the reasons, I will always hold a ton of respect for Garcia. He stuck around to (try to) elevate a program that badly needs it, and yes, it matters a little more to me that he's one of us. It hints that legacy means something to him. Fans need to remember this next season if Dawson and/or the team has a rough stretch and they want to start pi**ing on him. Commitment, especially in these times, should be celebrated.

Coffey and/or especially Oturu (yes, I completely understand the professional reasons) could've done the same but they chose not to. Business decision.

I hope Ben & staff get enough peices around Garcia so that he's rewarded with a NCAA Tournament appearance. That's the way he deserves to go out.

Love this and all in!

Go Garcia!!

Coffey and/or especially Oturu (yes, I completely understand the professional reasons) could've done the same but they chose not to. Business decision.

I hope Ben & staff get enough peices around Garcia so that he's rewarded with a NCAA Tournament appearance. That's the way he deserves to go out.
Hear hear!

Very True, when I used to work rural Alabama for work, I saw more front plates of cars and trucks with a "A" or the "AU" on them. They care and the the physicians I would consult, their offices are totally decked out in their respective school. They care and have a deep pride for their institution. I miss the free football tickets from that assignment :)

The only schools who have massive NIL money are those who get it from a relatively few mega-donors.

We don't have any of those, who care about Gopher sports. Plain and simple.
Not necessarily true. Kentucky, for example, has many thousands of loyal fans who contribute a lot or a little and in between.

I lived in the south for a fairly brief period and I could believe that easily. They tend to have lower taxes and lower government investment but that does leave more money in their pockets to donate to churches and athletics.

Top Bottom